South Asian Weddings

Any Guyanese/Trini folks out there?

Hi guys - some great reads in this section of the forum

Any Indo-Guyanese or Trinidadidan people here?  How is your wedding planning coming?  

Re: Any Guyanese/Trini folks out there?

• Yes! Wow, it's hard to believe I came across anyone else! I'm in North Florida and it is a desert here for planning a wedding that speaks to my heritage. I am therefore struggling to figure out what to do. I love the idea of something on the beach or maybe in a garden so it's not too formal. I'm Hindu, so having a classic American wedding, while beautiful, just doesn't speak to me. However, all of the resources are available and I can work with it.... but I REALLY need to find some way to incorporate my culture.

What about you?
  • hey there!! nice to see some fellow Guyanese/ trini people here! I am planning my wedding in NY, I am hindu but and my fiance is Catholic. We are only doing The Catholic ceremony to keep things simple but I am definately looking for ideas on how to incorporate some of our culture into the wedding!! 
  • LDHRLDHR member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    [QUOTE]Yes! Wow, it's hard to believe I came across anyone else! I'm in North Florida and it is a desert here for planning a wedding that speaks to my heritage. I am therefore struggling to figure out what to do. I love the idea of something on the beach or maybe in a garden so it's not too formal. I'm Hindu, so having a classic American wedding, while beautiful, just doesn't speak to me. However, all of the resources are available and I can work with it.... but I REALLY need to find some way to incorporate my culture. What about you?
    Posted by mudhurie[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  Surprises me too lol.  I have seen some nice "mash-up" ceremonies that actually do justice to a proper Hindu wedding.  Now it's not the 7-day thing like back home but a Friday night maticoor, Saturday into Sunday pooja and reception is a nice idea.  Maybe make a trip to NY, Toronto or best of all Guyana to get some goodies for the big day(s).  Good luck!  I'm still in the planning phase :)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]hey there!! nice to see some fellow Guyanese/ trini people here! I am planning my wedding in NY, I am hindu but and my fiance is Catholic. We are only doing The Catholic ceremony to keep things simple but I am definately looking for ideas on how to incorporate some of our culture into the wedding!! 
    Posted by absolutemocha[/QUOTE]
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Glad to hear!  Congrats.  One way to definitely make it coolie (sorry if that's offensive, we tend to use that phrase in our family) is a dance performance before the reception.  "bole chudiyan" immediately comes to mind HAHA  best wishes!  </div>
  • CoralRosesCoralRoses member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://indian.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_any-guyanesetrini-folks-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:d2f60e0d-ea18-4b02-87e7-bd5333228194Post:4b4396ed-d929-40a7-94f2-8ccab6c8accc">Re: Any Guyanese/Trini folks out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes! Wow, it's hard to believe I came across anyone else! I'm in North Florida and it is a desert here for planning a wedding that speaks to my heritage. I am therefore struggling to figure out what to do. I love the idea of something on the beach or maybe in a garden so it's not too formal. I'm Hindu, so having a classic American wedding, while beautiful, just doesn't speak to me. However, all of the resources are available and I can work with it.... but I REALLY need to find some way to incorporate my culture. What about you?
    Posted by mudhurie[/QUOTE]

Hello! I'm guyanese hindu, being that I spent most of my childhood fantasizing about my big day I look forward to having the 3 day version of it, maticoor, marriage ceremony, reception. living in new York is giving me limits because I'm looking for an outdoor venue! My family Is large my fiance's not so much, the number I have is around 275, I really want to know if anyone has suggestions on outdoor venues? I want an out door ceremony and indoor reception.
    By the way a good way to incorporate your cultures into the wedding Is by making it Asian! Maybe Sarees for your brides maids, sherwani for the grooms men and a mashup bridal party entrance dance to one of your favorite Indian songs and one of his american songs. Parsley decorations and favors. My friend who recently go married has all the bridesmaid wear Sarees the bride wore a white wedding dress to the ceremony and changed into a saree for the reception, and both bride ans groom were Christians! The bride was guyanese (portugese, Indian ans Afro guyanese mix) Congrats to you all!
  • LDHRLDHR member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I am not sure about outdoor venues but a lot of times restaurants have a decent outdoor seating you could take advantage of.

You mention 3 day version of the hindu wedding.  The last time I went to a, "full length" wedding, I was a kid and wasn't paying attention.  What exactly is the full-on HIndu wedding?  Think it's do-able in NY?

• glad i entered "guyanese" into theknot search. i am christian and mixed and my FI is guyanese hindu. we are having both ceremonies, a day for each. i'm starting to look for "hindu help" outside of his family (ie suggested vendors, tips, places to purchase an affordable wedding saree).... would love to catch up with you ladies if you have any info...

• Nice to see some indo-caribbeans on here.. My wedding is in 5.5 months and it's in Toronto. FI is Trini Hindu and we're doing a fairly traditional Hindu wedding in the Mississauga area of Ontario.
  • Hi, I am also a Hindu guyanese planning a wedding, it will be in NY though, so it should be easier. My sister had a traditional wedding in orlando about a year ago - we did the wedding at a sanathan dharma mandir and everything else was at our Mousie and Puwah's house. It was a three day event as well - if anyone has any specific questions let me know!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards