Canada

Ottawa Brides

I was wondering if there are other Ottawa or surrounding area brides on here? Hopefully we will be able to share tips and planning ups and downs with each other.

Re: Ottawa Brides

• MissLeahMMissLeahM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would fit into the 'Surrounding Area' section.

Hello!

image Married and Junk.
  • edited December 2011
    First of all congratulations with the wedding,. Where abouts in the surrounding area are you?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hate to admit it, but Cornwall.. The good ol' stinky city.
    image Married and Junk.
  • edited December 2011
    Cornwall isn't that bad. Are you having your wedding there or some place else?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having it on the island and then we'll do the reception in Cornwall.
    image Married and Junk.
  • edited December 2011
    I have never been to the island, I'm sure it will be beautiful. It is almost your day I bet you extremely busy with last minute details.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually its not too bad. I always tell people that its FI's wedding. But OUR marriage. I wanted to run off to vegas. He wanted the big ol' wedding. It gave me a reason to play with crafts. 

Are you getting married in Ottawa? If yes, have you picked you're venue yet?
    image Married and Junk.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow its not too often you find a groom who wants the big wedding. I'm hoping that he was involved a lot with the plans. Did you do a lot of DIY?

We are getting married close to Greely at Stanley's Maple Farm, the staff there from what we have seen are awesome.
  • CMJ&MDL2010CMJ&MDL2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm in Ottawa!   We're getting married June 12 at the Chateau Laurier.  Countdown is on!  :-)

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations that place is beautiful! Are you having the wedding there as well?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yep!  Ceremony on the terrace overlooking the canal (weather permitting!!!) and reception in the hotel.  They've been really good to work with and take care of a lot of the details, which makes it a lot easier on us!  

I haven't been to that maple farm but, when we were asking around about possible venues, a coworker of mine said she went to a wedding there and that it was a great spot ... :-)

• edited December 2011
    That sounds beautiful. I know some people who have went to a lot of functions there and has said how beautiful it is. What is the rain back up plan? We dopn't really have one and I am super nervous about it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Chateau wouldn't really let us book the ceremony on the terrace without booking another room inside as Plan B, especially after the weather this past summer. Which is annoying as, in an ideal world, we won't need it but still have to pay for it.  But, at least we know that it will be set up for us, just in case.  (I guess we pay for car insurance, health insurance, home insurance ... kind of the same thing ... LOL!) 

• edited December 2011
    Hello Ottawa Brides!
    I live in Ottawa but am planning my wedding in NB.
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
  • edited December 2011

That must be challenging having to plan in another province. Good luck and congrats!

• ShelleybuddShelleybudd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm an Ottawa bride too... but not until 2011.  Can't wait though.  I love the planning!!!!
    Chateau Laurier how gorgeous! 
    I went to a wedding at Stanley's.  It was nice.  The great thing about that location is that you can take pictures there.  They have really nice trees, flowers etc. 

• edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome Shelleybudd I am getting married in 2011 as well. Do  you have your place booked yet?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sure do!  We've got our hall, church, photographer, cake.....  Like I said.. I LOVE the planning... only 527 days to go!!  How about you?  How is your planning going?
  • edited December 2011

The place we booked takes care of almost EVERYTHING! They hire the oficiant, dj, decorate, cater. They do everything but attire, invitations, cake , flowers, photographer and favours. but they take care of all the important things so I don't have to worry about anything.

Where are you planning your big day?

First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our reception will be at Sala San Marco on Preston.  It's a really nice hall Smile  Have you ever been there?  Have you started your planning on all the other stuff?  Do you have your dress yet?  Cake? Photographer?

• edited December 2011

I'm from Ottawa as well, and am having my reception at Sala San Marco also! I absolutely loved the place. Great food, awesome dance floor, and exactly what we were looking for. Did you get the whole room, or are you getting one of the half rooms? We are getting half of the room, the side with the wndows because we have 200 people.

Also, my wedding is May 14, 2011.

* Marrying My Highschool Sweetheart * Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 215 Invited
    image 148 are ready to party! image 12 have better things to do image55 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: April 25
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're getting the window side of the room as well !!  It's such a beautiful place.  We're planning on about 175.  I can't wait !!!

How's your planning going?  Do you have everything settled yet?  The one thing that I'm really confused about are decorations... Anyone have a great decorator?

• edited December 2011
    I have quite a bit set as of now, such as DJ, photographer, limo and ceremony. I am right now looking into wedding decor, WEDOR seems like a good company so I am speaking with them right now. Let me know what you decide to go with, as this is where I am struggling as well. I just don't want to spend too much.

image 215 Invited
    image 148 are ready to party! image 12 have better things to do image55 are lollygagging
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just googled and couldn't find them, but I did find other interesting ones :)

Any other things you are looking for or have found?  We should share our info!!!  What about invitations?  Do you know what you will do about those?  Who's your photographer?  DJ? and Limo service?  We have a pretty big bridal party... so I think that we're going to have to go with a party bus...
  • edited December 2011

lol I am so bad, I meant WEDECOR when I wrote that, sorry!! And my photographer is Melanie Sheilds, who has awesome prices. We are going with Ottawa DJs, because since I am a Ottawa University student, or was, I get a pretty good discount. And as far as invitations go I am looking at making my own, or do the Michales packs,  as I am trying to stay on a budget. Our limo service is through Ottawa Unique Limousine, which also has good prices, and is a stretch SUV limo which holds up to 14 people.

http://www.ottawauniquelimo.ca/ - Limo
    http://www.melanieshieldsphotography.com/ - Photographer
    http://www.ottawadjservice.com/ - DJ
    http://www.wedecor.ca/ - Possible Decorator

I definitely agree with staying in touch and keeping eachother informed on possible deals or simply great services!!

image 215 Invited
  • edited December 2011
    I just wanted to let you know that we decided on a decorator, her name is Stephanie, and this is her website:

http://www.decorationsdevenementsb.com/index.html

She is actually from Quebec, but does weddings mostly in Ottawa. When we met with her she was really nice, energetic and organized. She also carried the exact colours we wanted for our vendue :) Hope your planning is going well.

image 215 Invited
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the info.  I'm def. going to check it out. :- )

I'll let you know how it goes, but I have to say that we aren't doing much planning these days... it's still so early.  Yet so exciting, so I'll be checking this out over the weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Ottawa Brides.

I'm in Ottawa too....its nice to see so many people from around on this website...sometimes you can feel so neglected on the US sites.
    My wedding is on October 9th 2010 @ Stanley's Olde Maple Lane farm... All of your weddings sound beautiful!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome Kasa!   How's the wedding planning going?   All done? 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Kasa

I am getting married on September 10 2011 at Stanley's. Which space are you using? We are using the southern tent. How did you find their staff with the details? and when did you start meeting with them for those details? So many questions I know but I am really excited to talk to someone who will be getting married at the same place as me. Any advise you can give would be AWESOME!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards