Wedding Etiquette Forum

CA Name Change - wanting two middle names

I thought I had figured this all out, but I think I may have been self-misinformed...

Does anyone know for CERTAIN that you can have TWO middle names on the marriage license and/or legally on driver's license/SS card/etc?

I finally decided that I wanted to keep all my names and also take my husband's to be last name so that i would have the same last name as him and our children.

So, I would be [first name] [middle name] [middle name] [husband's last name]. -- /> (ie. Samantha Mai-Lin Lee Jones.)

It seems  though that according to the San Diego County marriage reqs and The Name Equality Act of 2007 [gives specific rights to parties at the time they are applying for a California marriage license to choose and list on the marriage license the new name that each party will go by after marriage. Please refer to the
Name Equality Act.] I can't have two middle names without hyphenating them???!!!

I'm a little peeved because my middle name is already hypenated and I don't want two hypens in my middle name! I don't want to be (Samantha Mai-Lin-Lee Jones), I want TWO middle names! -- />

ANYONE KNOW OF HOW THIS WORKS???? THANK YOU!!!!

Re: CA Name Change - wanting two middle names

• You posted this on CC too. You really should just call your local clerks office and ask.
    Anniversary
  • Social security let me keep all my names so I have First Middle Maiden Newlast as my name. You will have to specify on forms that you have two middle names and one last name. And if Social Security lets you do it, the state should let you do it since federal is above state.
    Anniversary image
  • I got married in Riverside county, so I don't know if it's the same, but I have 2 middle names without a hyphen on my SS card. When I got my new DL in IL, i could only choose one. I have yet to get a new ID in CA yet, so I'm not sure if you can have both.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ca-name-change-wanting-two-middle-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:162132dc-dd9c-4175-8129-1ab777abcc08Post:9afea539-ba14-4252-9359-6c5fa0195be5">Re: CA Name Change - wanting two middle names</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married in Riverside county, so I don't know if it's the same, but I have 2 middle names without a hyphen on my SS card. When I got my new DL in IL, i could only choose one. I have yet to get a new ID in CA yet, so I'm not sure if you can have both.
    Posted by sarabear23[/QUOTE]

I got my new drivers license in IL 6 weeks ago and they let me have all four names on the DL and state id. Only my car title allowed me one middle initial.
    Anniversary image
  • Looks like I got screwed! I don't live there anymore though (thank GOD), so I really need to get on getting a CA id.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    I got married recently and haven't yet gone through the process with SS, DMV, etc... But I live in Sonoma County, and when we got our marriage license prior to our wedding, I was allowed to have a 2 word middle name without a hyphen.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Yes, you just put it in the space for middle name, with no hyphen.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards