Christian Weddings

Ask Me Anything!

Woot, it's my turn! Ask away. Can't wait to see what questions y'all come up with! Laughing

P.S.- Hope the mods don't mind I started the thread.  I'm psyched to answer some questions!
Anniversary

Re: Ask Me Anything!

• If you could have one 5 course meal for every dinner for the rest of your life, what would those 5 courses be? What was your favorite subject in school?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:2977dc83-1625-46e3-af7c-8efc10180414">Re:Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you could have one 5 course meal for every dinner for the rest of your life, what would those 5 courses be? What was your favorite subject in school?
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

Question 1: I love food, and I love this question.  Course 1: soup, probably that awesome Chicken and gnocci soup at Olive Garden.  Course 2: salad, just to be healthy.  Course 3: Lasagna.  With extra cheese. No explanation needed.  Course 4: All I can eat crab legs.  Oh yeah.  Course 5: Cheesecake.  Either chocolate, plain, or strawberry.  Heck, all three. :)

Question 2: Depends on which level of school you are refering to.  Prior to undergrad, science.  Pretty much any science made me happy.  Actually, I was a nerd who loved most of my classes, so science only wins by a hair.  Undergrad: Forensic Science.  It's my passion and my first love.  There's nothing better than taking your own blood sample and then testing it, all the way to getting your own DNA sequence at 7 alleles.  Coolest thing ever.   Med school: Behavioral Sciences.  The mind is a fascinating organ.  There's so much that can go wrong, and most of the time the only way to get the information is by talking to the patient.  I'm on my psychiatry rotation right now and loving it!

Great questions! Keep 'em coming!
    Anniversary
  • What are your hobbies?

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

Who are some of your favorite music artists or bands? 
  • one place in the world you want to visit?

if you could meet anyone famous, who would it be?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • have you made any wedding purchases or down payments yet?  if so, what's the bigest splurge?  if not, what would you like to splurge on?

• How did your FI propose?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:b1300140-172b-4359-af08-3d61be009f09">Re: Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are your hobbies? What is something people would be surprised to know about you? Who are some of your favorite music artists or bands? 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

What are my hobbies?
    I love to read, for fun.  It doesn't happen much anymore, thanks to school.  I'm also a huge video game fan. 

What is something people would be surprised to know about me?
    Hmm.  Good question. Here's a historical answer for you: my ancestors first came to VA in 1666 and I'm related to Pocahontas (I'm also my own 6th cousin, thanks to some cousins marrying in the early 1800's).

Who are some of my favorite music artists or bands?
    90's: Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC
    Country: Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, Rascal Flatts, The Band Perry
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:e0fcaa9b-edc3-4c42-9ad8-9ff0fb1f0828">Re: Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]one place in the world you want to visit? if you could meet anyone famous, who would it be?
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]

One place in the world I want to visit?
    Europe. I'm dying to go there.  I don't think I can narrow it down much more than that.  Of the places I've already been to, I'd love to go back to Guatemala one day.

If I could meet anyone famous, who would it be?
    The Queen of England. I've been fascinated by royalty since I was little.  And she's an amazing woman.  I bet her stories are awesome.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:9726965d-fcf4-4140-83ef-f790b9bc0db5">Re: Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]have you made any wedding purchases or down payments yet?  if so, what's the bigest splurge?  if not, what would you like to splurge on?
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

It's more like what haven't we paid for yet.  We've already got most of it.  I would say our biggest splurge would be our STD's.  They're not really required, so we didn't have to do them, but we really wanted to do refridgerator magnets.  So my fiance designed ones based on Back to the Future. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:99c239f2-6179-4b43-aa30-5454492f3a13">Re: Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How did your FI propose?
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

Fun story.  He had the ring for a couple of weeks before he proposed.  He actually tried it on my finger in my sleep one night to make sure it fit.  His plan was to propose on Christmas morning.  He didn't make it that long, lol.  The Friday before Thanksgiving I had a friend over to study.  She then helped me pick out an outfit for my med school ball the next night.  While I was changing, he showed her the ring (which he had hidden in MY room, how I never found it I don't know).  I came back too quickly, so he shoved it in the pocket of the jacket he was still wearing.  Later on that night, he had hung up the jacket on the coat rack in the kitchen, ring still in the pocket.  While we watched the NASCAR truck series season finale, we talked about marriage and getting married (I knew he was planning to propose, I just didn't know when).  Well, he just couldn't hold it in any longer, not with the ring so close.  So he proposed while we were cuddled on the couch under a blanket watching the race.  He then got the ring out of the jacket and gave it to me.  I loved it, the ring and the proposal.  it was so us.  Our first date was to a bar to watch the NASCAR Sprint Cup All-Star race, so him proposing whlie we watched a race was perfect!
    Anniversary
  • Do you watch the Olympics at all? If your own physical limitations werent an issue, which summer or winter Olympics sport would you want to compete and win a medal in? Did you always know that you wanted to go into medical sciences? If no, what did you want to be when you were little? Best childhood vacation?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:2b86e28b-7d50-435f-a1b2-4036b94fdf62">Re:Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you watch the Olympics at all? If your own physical limitations werent an issue, which summer or winter Olympics sport would you want to compete and win a medal in? Did you always know that you wanted to go into medical sciences? If no, what did you want to be when you were little? Best childhood vacation?

Do I watch the Olympics?
    Yes! I love them.  Watching more streaming this year though.

Which sport?
    Swimming.  I was actually a competitive swimmer in high school, but certainly no where near good enough to be in the Olympics.  If I could though, I would.  If not swimming, then curling.  I think it's just so much fun to watch.

Did I always know I wanted to go into medical sciences?
    Yes and no.  I knew at a young age, around 13 or 14, that I wanted to become a forensic pathologist. I discovered the field through Patricia Cornwell's novels.  It wasn't until I started researching the career that I realized I would have to go to medical school first.  Believe me, I was not very thrilled about that.  I never really saw myself becoming a doctor doctor, at least not until I actually started med school.  I definitely still want to be a forensic pathologist though- the body speaks volumes, even in death. 

Best childhood vacation?
    Umm, my family didn't really go on vacations.  The closest I got was going on mission trips to church camp with my youth groups.  Best one: we went to Toronto, Canada the summer after my senior year of high school, my last youth group trip (as a youth).  It was an amazing experience, and the first time I had ever left the country.  I loved it.
    Anniversary
  • Is a forensic pathologist similar or the same as a medical examiner?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ask-me-anything-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:888989f3-69d1-47b0-9fe9-eb83992c5f60Post:f18d2cdc-20f4-49f4-b5f6-b07f5661ce2b">Re:Ask Me Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is a forensic pathologist similar or the same as a medical examiner?

Yes and no.  Technically, only a board certified forensic pathologist can legally perform medico-legal autopsies, such as the ones done on suicide or homicide victims.  The term medical examiner mainly means a physician who goes to death scenes and certifies that the person is dead.  Unless the case needs an autopsy, they usually sign the death certificates.  Medical examiners are typically appointed by local governments and report to the main office of forensic pathologists- which is normally referred to as the medical examiner's office.  "Medical examiner" can refer both to the definition above and forensic pathologists.  The confuse things even more, some localities have "coroners".  Coroners are elected officials, but they do NOT have to be physicians.  They sign the death certificates for cases that do not require autopsies, typically in smaller towns that do not have many physicians and do not have appointed medical examiners.

To add another layer of complexity, each state organizes their medical examiner system in a different way.  Some are better than others, as one would expect.  But it's left up to each state to figure out what works for them. For example:  in Virginia, we have four districts: Northern, Eastern Shore, Central, and Southwestern.  Each district comprises approximately an equal proportion of the state's population (but not geography).  There are four forensic pathologists assigned to each district, with each district getting it's own office.  The central district also houses the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of VA, the forensic pathologist who runs the entire system for VA.  Within the districts, there are medical examiners assigned to cover specific counties and cities (which are independent of counties in VA). 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards