New Jersey

Anyone attend a Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?

I've searched the knot, but for some reason my search turned up zero results. It's either my request, the fact that my computer is wicked slow, or the knot is being a pita.

Has anyone ever been to or know of anyone who has had a wedding, Memorial Day weekend?  Did that couple have the turn out they expected?

I figure it would be a pretty expensive weekend, but if I do it either Friday or Sunday the cost could be at a discount.  Not to mention, if planned properly, guests could make it a long weekend vacation.

Thanks in advance!

michelle & pat

min kaerlighed = my love in Danish

Re: Anyone attend a Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Our wedding was over that weekend.   It worked out well because many of our guests were from out of town, and it wasn't an issue staying.  We had it on the Sunday, and it wasn't an issue because everyone had Monday off.  The discount was nice too......
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • edited December 2011
    ecg just had hers this Memorial Day Weekend, hopefully she will chime in.

I was told by my friends that if I had it on Memorial Day Weekend they weren't coming. Of course it was a joke, but it did make me think. Mine ended up being the weekend before b/c that's when the church was available, but I definitely would have been up for a Mem Day Wkend Sunday wedding!
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    My wedding was memorial day weekend. We had a good turnout.
  • edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding last year memorial weekend and I think it worked out well for the couple because they had a lot of out of town guests that were able to stay over. I didn't mind it, but we never usually have plans for Memorial Day Weekend. Their wedding was on the Saturday.
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a friends that was on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.  It was a small affair to begin with at about 80.  I think nearly everyone came; the extra travel days helped everyone from out of town.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls.  I am leaning towards a more tradional "Saturday" wedding, but if the price for a Sunday wedding is at a decent discount, then I'm all for it.

Thanks again! I'll keep my eyes open for others who have had or been to a MDW wedding!
    michelle & pat

• edited December 2011
    Hey Hey, 
    Allie was right -here I am. Just had mine on the Sunday. The Sunday was a better discount then the Saturday. We had alot of "No"s but that said, I don't think it had anything to do with it being  Memorial Day Weekend. I just think  a lot of people from out of state couldn't make it. Most people didn't mind that it was a holiday weekend, it just made their holiday weekend more special :D
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding was over Labor Day weekend, so kind of same deal.  We had a lot of out-of-town guests, so it was probably easier for them (I've always appreciated when long distance weddings have fallen on Labor Day weekend).  We picked the weekend because our venue was free that weekend (it was booked the next, and we didn't want to get into late September).  Our venue has one price regardless of when you have your reception, so it wasn't more or less expensive than any other day.  Hotels weren't any more expensive either -- Basking Ridge, NJ (where the OOT hotels were) isn't a hot Labor Day destination.

We had one couple not come because they had another wedding they were invited to that day, and a few people had weddings to go to the next day.  But that's always a risk with a summer weekend.  We've had two weddings in one weekend before on non-holiday weekends.  And one friend left after the salad course to drive out to the Hamptons because she had a party to go to that night -- but honestly, she would have probably done that any weekend.

Two couples mentioned that they were going to the shore the next day... but they still came to our wedding (and still had two days at the shore)  Our extended families and friends aren't big beach people to be honest, so I don't think it was a big deal.  

And let's face it --  no weekend is ever convenient for everyone.  Whenever these polls about time of year/week come up, you'll get lots of opinions either way.  Some people hate Friday weddings.  Some people hate Saturday weddings.  Some people hate Sunday weddings.  Some people hate day weddings.  Some people hate night weddings.  Some people hate weddings on holiday weekends.  Some people hate when a wedding ties up half of their two-day weekend.  There really is no clear winner.
  • G&G2010G&G2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding on a Sunday of Memorial Day weekend & there seemed to be a huge turnout. I had to leave the shore early, but I was happy that it fell on Sunday night rather than Saturday night of the holiday weekend.
    I think it's good when you have a lot of out of town guests & it's in a location where there won't be an extra charge because of the holiday.
    I would probably steer clear of a south Jersey wedding on Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend because hotels likely have a 3-night minimum & charge higher rates.
  • edited December 2011
    my cousin was just married on memorial day weekend down in florida. almost everyone invited attended. she didd a wonderful job of having special things for the weekend as the guest arrived.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you girls! It looks like we might just do a Sunday wedding.  I've spoken to a few family members and their responses were overwhelming.  They pretty much had the same reaction and said that Sunday would be the best so that guests could recover on Monday. 

I also mentioned a bbq for out of town guests before they leave and that was also a big hit. :o

michelle & pat

• maybride527maybride527 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my wedding is going to be on the friday of memorial day weekend next year - 5/27/11. our friends and family don't really do much for the holiday, so we don't anticipate that it will be an issue. and since we are having it on a friday, our guests can still make plans to go away for the rest of the weekend if they would like to.
    just to be on the safe side, we're sending out save the dates in early september-

oh, p.s. - my photographer had a wedding booked on fri, sat, and sun of memorial day weekend this year and said the turnout was great :-) 
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I attended 2 memorial day weddings and they both had a good turnout.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • riverjibriverjib member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-attend-memorial-day-weekend-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:90281e39-1e7a-458c-b10b-ace50a11bac2Post:e3781c44-dddd-4b69-81bd-bf516a0a2cfd">Anyone attend a Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've searched the knot, but for some reason my search turned up zero results. It's either my request, the fact that my computer is wicked slow, or the knot is being a pita. Has anyone ever been to or know of anyone who has had a wedding, Memorial Day weekend?  Did that couple have the turn out they expected? I figure it would be a <strong>pretty expensive weekend,</strong> but if I do it either Friday or Sunday the cost could be at a discount.  Not to mention, if planned properly, guests could make it a long weekend vacation. Thanks in advance!
    Posted by minkaerlighed52612[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about that...I think it depends on the venue. I've had friends get married on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day weekends because those weekends were actually less expensive. That's probably less true for Memorial Day/Labor Day than the Fourth of July, but a lot of people don't want to have weddings those weekends because they're popular vacation times. On the NJ shore, it's probably more expensive for accommodations, though.

Price it out. I personally don't like Friday/Sunday weddings because it's usually an inconvenience to OOT guests, but Sunday during a long weekend is IDEAL!!! It should be cheaper than Saturday night, it's convenient for everyone, and they can make a long weekend of it. If Sunday of Memorial Day weekend is cheap, I'd totally do it!!!
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went to a wedding on the actual Memorial Day (Monday).  I didn't really care because I could take the next day off, but a lot of my friends were complaining a lot and I don't think a single one of them, bridal party included, staid at the hotel afterwards.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-attend-memorial-day-weekend-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:90281e39-1e7a-458c-b10b-ace50a11bac2Post:0254617c-8e2f-4654-8894-d5d6add93765">Re: Anyone attend a Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just went to a wedding on the actual Memorial Day (Monday).  [/QUOTE]

Wow, I never would've even thought about Monday.  I can see where that would be obnoxious for travelers.  They either need to stay another night and take a day off from work or go in exhausted.  Kind of defeates the purpose of having your wedding on a holiday weekend in the first place.
  • edited December 2011
    My friend got married on Friday of Memorial day weekend and the turnout was fine.  I am doing Sunday of Colombus day weekend and I know not everyone has off the next day but some do so I am hoping it will be ok.
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards