Florida-Central Florida

French baker in or around Orlando? Need cake recommendations!

Hi ladies!
   I hope everyone's wedding planning is going great! So far so good with mine :) I have plenty of time before my wedding in April, but I figure I may as well knock things off of the list before I don't have spare time anymore!
   On that note, does anyone happen to know of a French baker in or around Orlando? And if not a French baker, does anyone know of an affordable (aka not $400!) cake company?

I appreciate it! <3

Re: French baker in or around Orlando? Need cake recommendations!

• edited December 2011
    Irene's French Bakery - they're frequently at WPFM - but I don't know if they do cakes.
  • edited December 2011

She's not a french baker but I'd recommend It's tasty Too for your cake... I used her for my january 15th wedding (PIB) and was shocked at how low the price was... When I was planning, I think like 90% of the board ws using her.

• edited December 2011
    I'm using Evelyn with Cakes by Eve. Her cakes are amazing- not french though.
    Just curious, why so specific on a French baker? If they are truly a French baker, they will most likely be higher end. And $400 could be a reasonable price for a cake, it just depends on how many it serves- they price everything per serving.
  • SivanGSivanG member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For some reason my mom is fixated on having a French baker..and we are not even French! So I figure I can at least try to look for someone. What is the website for Irene's French Bakery? I tried looking her up on google but couldn't find her! Is she in Orlando? I'm not sure what WPFM is...:)

Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    WPFM is the Winter Park Farmers Market. I am there usually every Saturday and I think of who she is, but that doesn't mean she isn't there
  • ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Molly with the thought that a French baker is likely going to be more expensive. $3 a slice is the absolute lowest I've seen for cake and most are $3.50 or more plus extra charge for fresh flowers or fondant or crazy decorations and delivery. So unless you're having a really small wedding, $400 is probably about the going rate. I will check with the culinary people I know to see if anyone knows anyone though.
  • edited December 2011
    I would tell your mom french bakers do not really make cakes, at least not traditionally. Pastry chefs make cakes in the french tradition. Bakers bake bread mostly and other related items.  yes $400 is not expensive for a wedding cake, since it is per serving a lot of wedding cakes depending on decorations and how many you are serving is over a $1000.  I agree with the other ladies if you want to hire a french trained chef to make your cake it will cost you extra.  

I would have a sit down with your mom and figure why she is so stuck on it, and if she isn't paying for the cake then ask if other alternatives ok. 
  • edited December 2011
    ps. no one will know it was by a french chef anyway at the reception.  Unless your mom tells everyone or you put a sign next to the cake saying made by a french chef haha. Kinda tacky.  Anyway to everyone else it will look like cake no matter who made it and all they want to know is when can the eat it!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Amanda's Cakery in Winter Garden to do my cake in December. She did the cake at my friends wedding this past May, and it was awesome. She's really affordable http://amandascakeryonline.com/

Plus she's been able to accommodate my allergies so that was a huge relief, because many of the other cake places in town buy their cakes ahead of time so there was no way for them to make a cake I could eat.

Good luck, and I wouldn't stress about it being French I don't think anyone will know as long as it tastes good :) 
  • edited December 2011
    Well I wouldn't go as far as telling your mom that. haha Just look around and see what you can find and bring her to tastings so you both can agree on the best tasting cake.

There is a croissant shop off of Park Ave - Croissant Gourmet on Morse Blvd (www.croissantgourmet.com). They have fabulous pastries etc. and I believe they are french. They may be able to do a cake for you or know someone that could.
    Also, at the Winter Park Farmers Market, on the porch there is a white tent with a French couple that bake and sell pastries. They no longer have a shop because they didn't have enough time to do a shop and the farmer's market, but they may be able to do a cake for you or know someone that would. Their pastries are amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    Im using the Sugar Suite. She is at the intersection of Park Avenue and 17-92. She makes the most amazing cake and frosting that I have EVER had (Including trips to France and Belgium). Her cakes tend to run about $125 per tier. 
    Planning Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 97 Celebrating in Person
    image 57 Celebrating in Spirit
    image 0 In Postal Limbo
    RSVP Date: October 26
  • edited December 2011
    Heather at It's Tasty Too gave me the best price that I found. She also really "got" my vision, and I loved what my caked looked like! That being said, the day of, I noticed, and several family members have since commented that the cake seemed very dry. But I know alot of other people have used her and LOVED her so I'm hoping mine was just an "off" day :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_french-baker-around-orlando-need-cake-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:5621ca95-5600-4477-a6da-7734934756d1Post:469e1ea3-d8a1-41ca-870c-805af61ae56b">Re: French baker in or around Orlando? Need cake recommendations!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heather at It's Tasty Too gave me the best price that I found. She also really "got" my vision, and I loved what my caked looked like! That being said, the day of, I noticed, and several family members have since commented that the cake seemed very dry. But I know alot of other people have used her and LOVED her so I'm hoping mine was just an "off" day :)
    Posted by Dragonfly6191[/QUOTE]

<div>I used her and was amazed at how tasty and moist it was :) She was under $400 for my wedding in May 09 - it included a three tier cake, groom's cake and first anniversary cake.</div>
    That's Mrs.skWhitneyAmanda to you!

You're my true love, my whole heart ♥ ♥ ♥ <-- Married Bio <br>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards