Interracial Weddings

Re: Interesting Article

• happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very good article.  It makes you realize that sometimes the world still isn't as ready for interracial relationships as we think.  But definitely some good info.
    80 said yes image
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a good article and great conversation starter, especially for those who don't find it easy to talk about interracial relationships. 

I am black, my exH is white.  We didn't have any objections from our families, only love and support which extends to this day (we've been divroced 11 years).  We are both still inter-connected with each other's families and have an 18 year old son.  Our son is a testament to all that can flourish from an inter-racial marriage.

My FI is white (20 days to go ... eeek!) and no one has raised an objection.  We look forward to a long and happy life together.  Do we get stares?  Yes, but mostly from people who have a look that screams, "How did that old guy snag that (much) younger woman?!"  We laugh about it ... as our age difference is only 5 years.  Love is a very good thing, no matter what color/race we happen to be.
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually ordered the book the other day and intent to see what else the book says.  My first marriage was not an interracial one and we had 2 kids.  My FI is white and we are raising the kids together.  We sometimes get looks but as far as family goes, it's alI love for us and I'm so glad we don't have any issues some families face.  

Good topic though! Thanks for sharing. 
    80 said yes image
  • Durham1008Durham1008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a good article. My parents never specified that I couldn't date someone of a certain race. Actually, my younger brother is also in an interracial relationship. They started dating before my FI and I did. Some of my extended family haven't met him yet and I'm not entirely certain what they will say, although I hope they're nice to him. I have heard from FI that some of his family have made comments about him marrying "some white girl" which kind of hurts.

As for the general public, I've never noticed anyone staring at us and no one has ever actually said anything to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I liked this article as well. My parents didn't care whether I was in an interracial relationship. My parents just wanted me to be treated right as well as happy. Some of my extended family did make comments before they met H but after they met him, they loved him.

Thanks for the article! =]
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing, I'm ordering the book!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    That is an interesting article.

For both me and my FI, our family members are a product of their time, and so still hold some prejudices. My mom especially had originally would've preferred I stay within my race (Black) which is something I've been aware of since I was ten or eleven years old.  My late dad didn't care as long as the guy treated me right.

Even with this, at the end of the day it ended up not mattering.  My mom absolutely adores my fiance (White) and he reminds her of my dad.  She knows that he loves me to death, and that's the most important thing.  And I get along with his family as well, and they're looking forward to our impending marriage.  So while racial prejudice can be an issue for many of us in interracial relationships, it's encouraging to see that people can change, at least enough to accept that we love who we love.
  • ShiaShia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This article is great and I have done a project for school about interracial relationships/marriages in America. I am in a interracial relationship my FI is Bulgarian and he was adopted. His parents are Hungarian and Kurdish and I am black so we will be one big multiracial family. I love him so much. My parents have never told me who I couldn't date. I never dated in high school not because I wasn't allowed it was because I just didn't feel like it. But I see a lot of interracial relationships and I love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards