Plus-Sized

Dress ideas

Hello ladies
I am a plus size girl (size 18) I am looking at dresses online(my family wants to buy a dress for me but live states away from me) and I am nervous about certain things. 
 I like the idea of a strapless gown but I have large breasts(40 H) so I want to get a dress with straps but all the ones I have seen have trains. Trains make me nervous becuase I feel like if I am going to party at the reception with my family I would have to fall and bust my butt because of my train( which knowing me that would totally happen lol) I just feel nervous about picking a dress our wedding is over a year away and I think this makes it way more real picking a dress.
Help!!

Re: Dress ideas

• I wouldn't worry about the train.  For the reception they will put a bustle in your dress, which holds the train up so the train is not dragging.

You can also have sleeves, straps added to a strapless dress if you want.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I would recommend looking at gowns with a corset closure in the back instead of a zipper.  I am busty, too, and between the boning in the dress and the corset, I felt secure.  I opted for a straight across neckline since when I had on sweetheart necklines when I looked down all I saw was the girls.

Have fun - try on lots of styles, too.  And don't worry about the train - bustles do wonders.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Try on a variety of dresses, even if you think you won't like them.  You would be surprised what you actually like when its on.  Like PP said go with a corset bodice, it will do wonders for support. 
    You have plenty of time to find the perfect dress, and have it altered so it will fit perfectly for your big day! Good Luck!!!

• I agree about the train that is easily fixed!

As far as the dress itself I would go try them on and see what styles you like better and feel more secure in. That is the only way to help make those decisions!
  • In Response to Dress ideas:
    Some designers will let out the bust to accomodate larger breats, so strapless might still be an option. Check at a bridal gown store for a list of designers or dresses where this is an option
  • I'm a 38H and I got a strapless dress.  You just have to have it fitted appropriately.  I would also suggest buying a gown with a corset instead of a zip.   I would also look into specific plus size lines. (Not just dresses that come in larger sizes, but dresses specifically made for plus size brides).  The alfred angelo plus size line is beautiful and the Mori Lee "Julietta" line is stunning.   I got a Julietta... and I tried on probably 4 or 5 Mori Lee and Alfred Angelos... and they all held me up/in just fine.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/displaycollection.aspx?CategoryId=1af402e9-205f-4b7b-9d22-6fec77b3d187

www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards