Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception

My fiance and I are trying to keep the guest list down for the reception. The room holds 100 and we are pretty much at capacity. There are people that I would like to have celebrate out marriage with us, but I cannot invite them to the reception. So my question is Can I invite someone to the ceremony at the church without inviting them to the reception?

Re: Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception

• Options
    No, the reception is the thank you to the guests for attending the ceremony.
  • Options
    No you cannot. Anyone invited to the ceremony needs to be invited to the reception. The reception is to thank the guests for coming out to celebrate your marriage. You either have to cut back on the number of people you want to invite or find a venue that holds more people. 

The only circumstance it is okay in is if you make a public posting in your church of your marriage and members of your church want to come out for it. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

If they are invited the ceremony then you must invite them to the reception. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-to-the-ceremony-but-not-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a17ee004-f4cf-4568-abdb-8ddbcee2f07aPost:03d52870-962f-4d7e-9932-735abe64f5b3">Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I invite someone to the ceremony at the church without inviting them to the reception?
    Posted by Lauren&Yveson[/QUOTE]

Nope.  No, no, no.

If you can't think of why, just imagine this conversation between guests at the ceremony:

Guest A: Did you get directions to the reception?

Guest B: I wasn't invited to the reception.

Guest A: OH... this is awkward.

A wedding is one event comprised of both ceremony and reception.  Everyone you are inviting (that is, sending an invitation) must be invited to both parts.  No exceptions.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-to-the-ceremony-but-not-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a17ee004-f4cf-4568-abdb-8ddbcee2f07aPost:03d52870-962f-4d7e-9932-735abe64f5b3">Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are trying to keep the guest list down for the reception. The room holds 100 and we are pretty much at capacity. There are people that I would like to have celebrate out marriage with us, but I cannot invite them to the reception. So my question is Can I invite someone to the ceremony at the church without inviting them to the reception?

You want people to celebrate your wedding with you... but not invite them to the celebration?
  • Options
    nope

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    No.  That would be very rude.
  • Options
    Nope. Very rude.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-to-the-ceremony-but-not-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a17ee004-f4cf-4568-abdb-8ddbcee2f07aPost:03d52870-962f-4d7e-9932-735abe64f5b3">Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are trying to keep the guest list down for the reception. The room holds 100 and we are pretty much at capacity. There are people that I would like to have celebrate out marriage with us, but I cannot invite them to the reception. So my question is Can I invite someone to the ceremony at the church without inviting them to the reception?

<div>No.  Guests have to be invited to all parts of the wedding.  Ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, dancing.</div>
  • Options
    Never do that.
  • Options
    Serious breech of etiquette...your reception is a thank you to the guests for attending the ceremony.  Scale back your recepion to include all the guests you want or invite those that fit in your budget.  It's impossible to have everyone you want attend your wedding.
  • Options
    The only way you can do this is if some of your ceremony guests are fellow church goers and would be invited via public announcement.  Some churches will put an announcement out about upcoming wedding ceremonies.  Church members who show up to the ceremony usually know that they are not invited to the reception.  But generally, no, you cannot invited guests to just come to the ceremony and not the reeption.
  • Options
    Nope, not cool. Cut your guest list or find a bigger venue.
  • Options
    I will agree with the PPs and say no.  Everything I have ever read on wedding ettiquete says that it's a major faux pas.  It is ok to invite them to just the reception but never just the ceremony.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_inviting-to-the-ceremony-but-not-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a17ee004-f4cf-4568-abdb-8ddbcee2f07aPost:c13aa0aa-91ab-4897-96d7-747c109bedff">Re: Inviting to the ceremony but not the reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's fine to invite some guests to the reception but not the ceremony,
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This is only true if the ceremony is private with just immediate family and their spouses (otherwise, yeah, you're offering to feed everyone... but you're telling some people they aren't important enough to actually see you get married? no).
    You should invite all guests to all parts of the wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards