Wedding Reception Forum

Ugly Carpet at my Reception- Does this matter?

I am getting married in Banff, Canada, and the hotel we picked has ugly carpet in the reception room (its dark green with red and yellow acorn/pinecones/leaves-- very Banff.) I am wondering if I need to work my wedding colors around the carpet... How important is that? I will have chair covers and the dance floor will eliminate a large portion of carpet... My FI thinks its no big deal, but I think he might be wrong on that one... What do you think?

Re: Ugly Carpet at my Reception- Does this matter?

• It's definitely no big deal.  No one will be looking at the carpet or notice it.  You're not expected to match your wedding colors to the venue.  Once the tables are decorated and you're all in the room, no one will be looking at the carpet or walls or drapes.  I don't even know what color the carpet was at reception, honestly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    I agree with PP.  The carpet at our reception site doesn't exactly match our colors, but I really don't think anyone will even notice!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Reality check:  was the carpet like at the last 6 weddings you attended?  Can't remember?  No one will remember or care about the carpet at your wedding either.  What they'll care about is good food, good drinks, good music, and a bride and groom who look radiant and spend time with their guests.

Don't overthink carpet:  I have no idea at all what the carpet was like at my own son and DIL's wedding or at my DD and SIL's wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Receptions aren't usually lit with bright stadium lights and with all the tables I don't think anyone will notice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea our carpet is ugly, but the rest of the place is beautiful! I honestly don't remember the color of any carpets of any weddings I have been to now that i think of it!
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • no one will notice the carpet. It will be dark.  
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    I refused to have my wedding at my church, because of BRIGHT red carpet...but I don't think the reception matters to much.  Like you said, a lot of it will be covered with the dance floor, and another huge portion will be covered with tables right?  I don't think it is nearly as big of a deal at the reception as it is at the ceremony...not as many posed for photos or anything...etc. 
    Anyway, good luck!
  • I have never looked at the floor during a reception, nor do I have any idea whether the floors at my venue are wooden or carpeted.  Don't worry about the carpet, you'll probably be drawing the eye to the table anyway.  And if not, the presence of other people and food at the tables will draw the eye to the table.
  • No one is going to look at the floor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • big deal?  no way.
    annoying- definitely.
    But, you will not think about it on your big day, promise!  And very few of your guests will notice...those who do, will not care at all.

Don't be too concerned about the things you cannot help or control.  I know thats easier to say then do! 

judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ugly-carpet-reception-this-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5eee8819-91ef-4ca8-9a6a-3920a77f942aPost:5bc3c4e7-79e6-428e-b179-c034863e329d">Re: Ugly Carpet at my Reception- Does this matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I refused to have my wedding at my church, because of BRIGHT red carpet...</strong>but I don't think the reception matters to much.  Like you said, a lot of it will be covered with the dance floor, and another huge portion will be covered with tables right?  I don't think it is nearly as big of a deal at the reception as it is at the ceremony...not as many posed for photos or anything...etc.  Anyway, good luck!
    Posted by felkels[/QUOTE]

Really???   I give a side-eye to someone who rejects their own church because of the carpet.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Ah this is all good advice!

My reception carpet is ugly, too! Good to know I'm not the only one looking at and worrying about unimportant details :) 

After reading peoples' responses, I agree. You will not be worrying about that on your wedding day and nobody is looking at the carpet anyway!
    file:///C:/Users/Erin/Desktop/C-8359.jpg
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    I'm not going to lie ... I have no effin clue what the carpet looked like at my own reception. I'm going to guess dark brown. But I really have no idea. And I loved my venue ... I just didn't pay much attention to the floor.

Needless to say, I don't look at the floors, let alone notice if they "clash" with the rest of the decor or not.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I think its a personal problem and I say that because that's me too! Since I was a child I've described events by the carpet color (some
    more memorable than others). So along with you I'm trying hard to remember that it's just me and NO ONE ELSE gives two licks about carpet color. Crazy. But anyways sorry lyndausvi. I'm still trying to accept this before I can accept my own church which will clash horribly with my wedding colors in every picture.
  • @sporejl - you do realize this thread is over 3 years old and the bride who started it has been married for awhile now and most likely no longer around.

• felkels said:
    I refused to have my wedding at my church, because of BRIGHT red carpet...but I don't think the reception matters to much.  Like you said, a lot of it will be covered with the dance floor, and another huge portion will be covered with tables right?  I don't think it is nearly as big of a deal at the reception as it is at the ceremony...not as many posed for photos or anything...etc. 
    Anyway, good luck!
    It doesn't matter at the ceremony, either.

• Damn it, zombie thread got me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards