Snarky Brides
Options

STD - sexually transmitted disease vs. save the date?

Every time I read STD on this board I'm reminded of the non-wedding acronym. I do work in infectious disease, but does this seem jarring to anyone else? 

Re: STD - sexually transmitted disease vs. save the date?

• Options
    At first, then you get used to the acronyms and move on.  Well, working with infectious disease I'm sure you won't, but yea.  It takes a little getting used to.
  • Options
    I worked in HIV prevention for a few years and I still snicker every time I see the WR use of that abbreviation. Personally, I'd find something else to call them but since we didn't send any out it never came up. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes EVERY time I see it! and at work when someone is on "Short Term Disability" I just think STD...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    This and BM make me snicker. I love seeing threads entitled "HELP!!! I'm having BM trouble!!!"
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_std-sexually-transmitted-disease-vs-save-the-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bedeef4a-475d-430a-801c-e18663c92ad8Post:a08883e1-1ebb-40b7-9595-1616a96e7d28">STD - sexually transmitted disease vs. save the date?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every time I read STD on this board I'm reminded of the non-wedding acronym. I do work in infectious disease, but does this seem jarring to anyone else? 
    Posted by anssett[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes.  i still read them incorrectly for the site.  In my mind I now read them as "Situationally, Tragically Dire" because that applies both to here and to an immunology lab.</div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_std-sexually-transmitted-disease-vs-save-the-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bedeef4a-475d-430a-801c-e18663c92ad8Post:9e668e63-1f05-4bf0-b28c-30c942934349">Re:STD sexually transmitted disease vs. save the date?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This and BM make me snicker. I love seeing threads entitled "HELP!!! I'm having BM trouble!!!"
    Posted by LoveyHowl[/QUOTE]

<div>We ocassionally have this topic over on the Getting In Shape (health/fitness) board and it DOES mean what you think it means   usually due to too much fiber not enough water  ;)</div></div>
  • Options
    I also cringe when I see it. I can't not see it. I'm a health educator. I always write it out. That's one acronym I just can't get on board with. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Yeah, I have not yet gotten used to it, and I don't think I will. The "other" usage of it is just far more common and widespread. My favourite example is "Can't choose an STD"... My first thought is NONE OF THEM!
  • Options

I was so confused when I first joined (this is my new account, old acct had maiden name/full name in sn), but I still occasionally snicker at "BM". I know someone who won't allow their kids to say anything other than them having to take a BM. Which doesn't technically make sense.

• Options
    BM in particular makes me giggle.  I read a thread once where a bride was trying to "push her BM out" and I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Options
    Isn't the "proper" term STI now anyway?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_std-sexually-transmitted-disease-vs-save-the-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bedeef4a-475d-430a-801c-e18663c92ad8Post:09628c99-4de2-4557-9adf-857bc3f09e3a">Re: STD - sexually transmitted disease vs. save the date?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Isn't the "proper" term STI now anyway?
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Indeed.  </div><div>
    </div><div>i love hearing the commercial for STI on tv.  "Southeast Technical Institute'</div>
  • Options
    One of our programs at work was acronymed PAP.  Really guys?  Especially when we often do reviews they call Deep Dives.  Yep, gonna have us a PAP deep dive. 
  • Options
    Hahaha I'm a fan of Universal Technical Institute.  All I think about is urinary tract infection.  I'm sure being in some weddings is kind of like trying to get through a tough BM.  It feels like the pain is never going to end, but in the end, it's worth it :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards