Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal Shower Ettiqutte?

What is an appropriate time frame (days/months before wedding) to have a bridal shower?

Also, does it matter waht day of the week and time I have the shower? Obviously I wouldn't have it on a weekday in the afternoon... but are these showers strictly a weekend afternoon kind of affair, or would it be ok to do on a weeknight or in the evening on a weekend?

Re: Bridal Shower Ettiqutte?

• They're usually done sometime in the 3 months leading up to the wedding.

Whatever date and time that works best for you and your guests is probably fine.  I think usually they are on weekends though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-ettiqutte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b50c1192-e552-40b7-9e71-9b39076aa80dPost:26349877-494f-4602-bcbc-ff899f27a655">Bridal Shower Ettiqutte?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is an appropriate time frame (days/months before wedding) to have a bridal shower? Also, does it matter waht day of the week and time I have the shower? Obviously I wouldn't have it on a weekday in the afternoon... but are these showers strictly a weekend afternoon kind of affair, or would it be ok to do on a weeknight or in the evening on a weekend?
    Posted by deesiebop[/QUOTE]

Usually showers are held about 2-3 months before the wedding, give or take. My was held about 2 months before our wedding.

I have only ever been to a bridal or baby shower on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but maybe that is just my family/circle of friends. I think a weeknight shower would be okay, but just expect some people not being able to make it esp if they work late, travel for work, had to stay late, etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-ettiqutte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b50c1192-e552-40b7-9e71-9b39076aa80dPost:26349877-494f-4602-bcbc-ff899f27a655">Bridal Shower Ettiqutte?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is an appropriate time frame (days/months before wedding) to have a bridal shower? Also, does it matter waht day of the week and time I have the shower? Obviously I wouldn't have it on a weekday in the afternoon... but are these showers strictly a weekend afternoon kind of affair, or would it be ok to do on a weeknight or in the evening on a weekend?
    Posted by deesiebop[/QUOTE]

Whenever your hostess is available but they tend to be on weekends.  She can throw you a shower on a weeknight but you run the risk of not as many people attending due to work conflicts or just plain being tired after a full day's work.   On average, most showers are within a couple of months of the wedding.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    (I hope you are asking this on behalf of the host or you are the host & not the bride). *

It depends on when you think your guests will be free/ when the host can host it. Any time that would work for people is fine. Usually, they are on weekends because that is when the guests are free.

* edit: to clarify

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • And just for clarification since your post can read a couple of ways...someone throws a shower for you; you don't throw your own.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I think the timeframe others have suggested is the norm.

And I know it's totally up to you because it's your day but from the POV of a guest that was invited to a shower on a weeknight this past summer it was incredibly inconvenient. In my case the shower was about 30 minutes from where I live and it was within an hour of getting off from work. Left very little time to get home, get cleaned up and head out again.

So personally I'm anti weeknight because it's difficult if you work, but with some adjustment to timing and expectations it could work.

Hope that helps
  • haha I am the bride asking more out of curiosity  and for future reference than anything else. And thank you all for your responses.. it does sound like a weeknight shower would be a bad idea. most likely it will be a weekend afternoon... was just wondering if people had showers at other times.
  • Showers that I've been to here in the south stick to the old-school rule of being held in the 6-week window prior to the event.  And they are on a Sat afternoon or a Sun afternoon, like 2-4 or 2-5 p.m..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards