Not Engaged Yet

Eep! Ring shopping PIP

Today BF and I went on a nice motorcycle ride and stopped at a couple jewelry stores. We went from a casual just browsing at the first place to a rather serious tone at the second. Initially we were going to these stores to get a ring I saw online out of my system so to speak because BF doesn't want me to know what ring I'm getting. I figured I end up hating the ring in person and we'd be on our merry way... Oops, I kind of fell in love with it. Ring:

It's by ArtCarved and I LOVE the detailing on the band. It's a lot larger than I would have thought I'd like. It's not massive by any means and I'd still only want a 1/2 carat diamond. Issue is the price. I just can't imagine wearing something that expensive on my hand! Not to mention expecting the BF to spend that much would be absurd, but a girl can dream right? lol

I really wanted to try of the solitaire version of the ring (because it's cheaper) which looks like this:
But neither of the stores had it. At the second store however the owner said he would order one for his shop so I could try it on, no strings attached. BF gave the go ahead for that so we're going back in two weeks to try it. Laughing And both have matching bands so it won't be a hassle to try and find one that matches the uniqueness.

In all honesty my poor genes are kind of crying at the price of the first ring so if I don't end up with that I don't care.
~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Eep! Ring shopping PIP

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I really think that even if you like the first one a bit more now, when a ring comes from your BF, you will grow to love whatever he gives you more than you thought, just due to sentimental value. I doubt you'll feel disapointed or regret saving some money to put toward the wedding. Being responsible financially is so important. :)

That said, I don't see anything wrong with saving and waiting longer to get engaged/married if you really want the first ring. Again, just use good financial sense. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    pretty!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto desert.

ps. Did anyone ask you what part of upstate your from? I missed if they did. Where are you from? I'm in Syracuse.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Desert- I definitely agree. He's studying to be a financial planner so we're already pretty smart with out money. And I know that picking out the ring is REALLY important to him so if I don't end up with even an Artcarved ring at all I'll still be happy knowing he put a lot of thought into it. :) He could buy me a $20 ring from Overstock.com and I'd still be thrilled. lol It's still a darn pretty ring though and this is coming from a girl who usually dislikes jewelry.

KD+BC- Nope one one has. I'm in the Buffalo area.
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
  • edited December 2011
    Both are very pretty but I actually like the second ring. IMO, I think less is more. It's very exciting to go ring shopping!
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love Art Carved in general, so I know what you mean! It's not quite my style, but I do really appreciate the beauty of the designs. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    BTW I forgot to add that both rings are GORGEOUS. I actually like the second one better just because it's more my style. Either one would be really unique and beautiful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think both those rings are BEAUTIFUL!   Ditto all the advice Desert gave you;)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    They are both pretty, but I prefer the second one.  
  • edited December 2011
    I love all the Art Carved stuff.  Beautiful!
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    those are BEAUTIFUL! you have such nice taste!

i also prefer the second one, but i'm sure you're BF (FI?) will do a fantastic job picking one. that's so exciting! i'm happy for you! :)
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_eep-ring-shopping-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2a73dc49-93cf-4cb9-934f-4aff2e673e5fPost:31b67f12-f439-4853-9078-4505ce9be1fb">Re: Eep! Ring shopping PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]those are BEAUTIFUL! you have such nice taste! i also prefer the second one, but <strong>i'm sure you're BF (FI?)</strong> will do a fantastic job picking one. that's so exciting! i'm happy for you! :)
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>BF for now. lol I think we both are people who think you're not engaged until there's a ring. In fact, I never heard of being engaged without one before TK. It makes sense that you don't need one and I definitely don't knock people who choose that route, but there needs to be a ring on the finger before he gets the FI title. lol</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Very pretty rings.  I'm usually the simpler the better myself.  I would never have picked out the ring FI got me on my own, but I love it because he put so much thought into it and I know he had been saving for it for a while.  And for me, the fact that he picked it out completely on his own (only help he got from my mom was an approximate size to get) means even more to me.

Enjoy the whole experience! 
  • edited December 2011
    Those are both gorgeous! I'm more a fan of the second one, but it's your ring. Also, I agree with Desertsun. Good financial advice is good.
  • edited December 2011
    I tried on both of those today, actually.  They're very pretty, very delicate.  I like them both a lot.  I though the solitare brought more attention to the band, but the one with the side stones like that was very sparkley.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards