Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Drinking at the reception....

2»

Re: Drinking at the reception....

• Options
    also to the people who cut their guest lists to afford open bar. I pity you. I would always choose buying my own drinks so that the b/g could invite all their friends/family. Again, I choose to drink, I do so on my budget. Your wedding should be about the people you have there not how many free drinks you can hand out.
  • Options
    Well, flutgrl, I agree with you there.

I think you should find out who you want there and then make sure you budget to provide them with food and drink.   It can be done on a variety of budgets.
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    Flutgrl, that is the difference between being a good host and a bad host and the etiquette rules are in place for a reason to prevent guests from being inconvenienced. The definition of a guest is that they are not expected nor obligated to provide or pay for their own food and drinks. A host by definition is the one who provides them. If the host does not want to or cannot afford to pay for something, then it should not be offered in the first place, and guests certainly should never be asked to pay their own way. But of course that won't stop anyone who has their mind already set to charge those folks.

If someone is able to invite everyone they want and still be able to afford an open bar for their guests, great. But not everyone has that luxury or else it's not a priority for them so they feel that a dry wedding is best since they don't feel right asking their guests to pay for anything they themselves cannot afford. But not serving alcohol does not make someone a bad host, provided they opt out of a cash bar, which is a breach of etiquette. It comes down to what works best for each couple's situation.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_drinking-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1fcba9a3-44c6-4564-9cbe-23df372f41a0Post:73239f29-9801-4cb6-b59a-d73a2809d10c">Re: Drinking at the reception....</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>also to the people who cut their guest lists to afford open bar. I pity you</strong>. I would always choose buying my own drinks so that the b/g could invite all their friends/family. Again, I choose to drink, I do so on my budget. Your wedding should be about the people you have there not how many free drinks you can hand out.
    Posted by flutgrl1[/QUOTE]
    No one said that the guest list was cut down so that that everyone could have an open bar.  Did you read the other posts?  Cutting the list is a way to keep the cost of a wedding down period.  My FI and I are having a small wedding because we want to celebrate with those who are nearest and dearest to us.  We are private people who don't really enjoy being the center of attention.  So, we're getting married in front of our immediate family and close friends.  <div>
    </div><div>I feel sorry for you that you don't know how to be a good host.  Open bar does not have to mean getting very drunk.  Just like a buffet does not have to mean eating so much that you end up throwing up.  It's common sense.    </div><div>
    </div><div>When does it end?  Will people start charging an entrance fee at the door?How about inviting everyone to a restaurant or hall and having everyone pay for their own meal?  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards