Maine

just curious

Who is changing their last name after the wedding? 

I'm not intending to change mine. I think it's kind of amusing that my mother is all bent out of shape about it, but my FI could care less. (Clarification: it's not that I find it funny that my mom is upset, but rather that I expected FI would care more than my mom....)
Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!

Re: just curious

• edited December 2011
    I'm not planning on changing my name.  My FI would like it if we had the same last name, but he's not willing to change his (or combine or hyphenate), and he won't ask me to do something he wouldn't do himself.  I haven't discussed it with anyone else besides my FI and one of my aunts, because she kept her last name, so I was just talking to her about how big of a deal she's found it to be. 
  • littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm keeping my maiden name professionally, and adding his to my name legally without a hyphen.  If we decide to have children, I want us all to have the same last name, but I'm not willing to give up Littlefield.  A lot of southern women drop their middle name and use their maiden name as their middle name; I'm doing that without any subtraction.  :)

I figure if I'm adding a whole darn family to my life, I can add one extra word to my name. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be dropping my last name and taking his.  No hypen, no middle name, my last name will vanish and I'm very excited about this!  I never ever considered doing anything different.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_just-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:b55ba138-51a9-4dfd-b861-88ae69185667Post:92aa6091-6349-444f-85ae-3cbbf46e8c46">Re: just curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm keeping my maiden name professionally, and adding his to my name legally without a hyphen.  If we decide to have children, I want us all to have the same last name, but I'm not willing to give up Littlefield.  A lot of southern women drop their middle name and use their maiden name as their middle name; I'm doing that without any subtraction.  :) I figure if I'm adding a whole darn family to my life, I can add one extra word to my name. 
    Posted by littlefieldmj[/QUOTE]

I am doing the same I will drop my middle name and use my last name as my middle name.  And, I am keeping my last name at work. 
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm dropping my maiden name completely and taking FI's last name. 
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    I'm dropping my last name, and taking his.  I'm a teacher, so it should be interesting next year when the kiddos have to call me something new :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm taking his name and dropping mine.  I"m debating keeping it professionally, but I think I'll probably change it there as well.  It is a little bittersweet, but it's something I do want to do.
    Married 9.4.11
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll probably drag my feet and change it eventually.  Start with all my legal documents and then maybe or maybe not do it at work.
  • edited December 2011
    This was a battle Iost. I really wanted to keep my last name, but that really upset FI.  His last name is just so long, somewhat common, and boring.  I like the last name I have had all my life... Fick is really easy to write. My new name makes me sound like an old married woman, which I guess I will be.  Iwill be dropping my last name completely.
  • edited December 2011
    I dropped my middle name, took my maiden name as my middle, then took his name as my last name. 
    I had a nightmare of a time changing my middle name with the State of NH, and technically they haven't and won't accept my name change without me petitioning the Courts, but I found a sympathetic person at DMV to drop my middle initial in their records, so I'm changed enough.  Laughing
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if i I had a shorter name i may use it for my middle but 10 letters is not going to work. I am soo excited to take my FI last name!!

I have had one person suggest that I could keep my name. My response is that I love my FI last name and why would I keep my fathers last name anywho.
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm really excited to take his last name too! It's just one of those things I've always looked forward to, plus I'd like to have the same name as our kids someday.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_just-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:b55ba138-51a9-4dfd-b861-88ae69185667Post:9041fb3b-6141-40bc-a9c5-3f8614ebab7b">Re: just curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm dropping my last name, and taking his.  I'm a teacher, so it should be interesting next year when the kiddos have to call me something new :)
    Posted by dmcphee[/QUOTE]

We loop in my school, so I will have the same students next year.  The other female teacher on my team is also getting married.   Our kiddos will have two new last names to get used to next year. 
  • LillyBean7LillyBean7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    New chapter of my life...and new last name! I am looking forward to changing my last name. I have not decided yet if I will keep my maiden name as a second last name yet.
  • edited December 2011
    I am keeping my maiden name as my middle name (dropping the old embarrassing one) and getting an awesome easier to spell and pronounce last name just in time to become a doctor with that last name and never have to change it professionally! SOOO EXCITED!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_just-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:b55ba138-51a9-4dfd-b861-88ae69185667Post:c660ed00-d6eb-4fc6-b3cb-26950711fa45">Re: just curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]This was a battle Iost. I really wanted to keep my last name, but that really upset FI.  His last name is just so long, somewhat common, and boring.  I like the last name I have had all my life... Fick is really easy to write. My new name makes me sound like an old married woman, which I guess I will be.  Iwill be dropping my last name completely.
    Posted by fickrj5[/QUOTE]

This is my situation also.  I always dreamed of getting married and taking his name (practicing my new signature and all!!) but I'm getting married later in life than I expected and I've had MY name for so long that it seems a little odd to become someone else now.  However, he's really excited about me taking his name, although it's an extremely common name while mine is extremely unique, so I guess I'll just do it.  Tough decision though!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H&S091711H&S091711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm dropping mine and taking his, and I can't wait! That being said I've never been a big fan of my last name and I like his much better, if it was the other way around I might not be so excited ;)
    Offbeat Brides & September 2011 August Siggys - Pets and Honeymoon Location: Roatan, Honduras!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards