Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Leaving your job?

Did any of you leave your job to be with your fiance/husband in his city? How is that working out for you all who chose to do that?

I'm really hesitant to start planning and solidifying everything until he and I are both settled in jobs in the same city, and I'm really interested in other people's experiences in the topic.

Re: Leaving your job?

• I'm leaving my job on Friday because FI got a new job in a different city.  We met here though.  I found another job easily and I think its cute that we are building our life together in a new place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I left my job to be with my fiance in another city. I found another job rather quickly, but I was laid off a couple months afterward. I'm back working again, and I honestly think it was worth it for us. I'm in grad school and he already has an established career, so I didn't mind finding another job closer to him.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I left my job just about a year ago to be with FI and plan our wedding together. It has been hard for me to find a job in my field with the same pay (the pay in the south is signficantly less than in the north). I worked in retail for awhile, but they were not cooperative with needing time off for the wedding & HM so I quit about a month ago.

Luckily FI makes good money, so we are able to make it. Right now it is probably a good thing I am not working finalizing everything for an out of state wedding. However, in the fall my church school is going to hire me, which is a huge relief. I also volunteer at our church and will be teaching vacation bible school which helps me get my mind off of the wedding for a few hours. Overall, I think it was worth it and it all works out in the end bc we could have never planned a wedding so far apart.
  • I have not been in this situation personally, but here is my thought on it: life is change. As long as you are under, oh I don't know 55 and you have a decent set of skills and can get by financially in the transition-follow your love and your future and go for it. As long as you are confident in your relationship and your upcoming marriage and are not going to starve don't waste time on worry.

I get a little nervous when I hear someone is relocating and giving up a job for a "boyfriend", because I have seen those "boyfriends" go poof in a big hurry - some women follow one in the hopes he will make a commitment and then it does not happen and they are devastated after relocating. 
  • I recently left my job and moved w/ FI to a new city for his new job. We are doing OK on his pay, but I definately can't wait to find something and have that extra cushion.  It hasn't been easy finding something though, I'm probably going to have to settle for something outside  my career, and a lot less pay.  It can be a hard adjustment sometimes, but I wouldn't change a thing.  It will all work out for the better.
  • I'm married 30 years this year.  During that time, we have moved due to my husbands job to 6 different states, a total of 10 different towns.  I would not have missed it for the world.  There is so much that I would have missed, so many wonderful people that I wouldn't have met.  It's been a gift!  Go for it....
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • FI and I currently live 2 hours apart because he's in grad school and can't leave, and it took me FOREVER to find my current job and I don't want to leave it!  As hard as it's going to be, once we're married 7 weeks from now, we're going to continue to live apart for awhile.  I know what the job market is like where FI lives, and my odds of finding a job are slim.  I'm definitely looking for something to open up around there, but until it does, I'm staying put.  We could be living apart for another year or more.  

I guess the way I see it is we have the rest of our lives to live together.  We'll get there eventually, but I'm not in a huge rush.  We see each other just about every weekend.  It's a pain, but trying to get by without my income would be even more difficult.  And honestly, I kind of like having my own space.  We set aside time to talk on the phone every night.  And when we do get to see each other, it's really special time.  We clear our schedules and plan something fun to do together.  I actually feel like it's made our relationship stronger!  

Bottom line: you have to do what works for YOU!  I don't think there's anything wrong being married and living separately if that's what you want to do.  
  • No, we work only about 10 minutes away from each other.
    Not only do I like my job but with the current state of the economy I would not leave a job to get married. The stress of being unemployed is not worth it in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards