Attire & Accessories Forum

Approx. Cost of altering A-line hem to high-low?

I was wondering if any knottie could give me a ball park estimate on how much I should expect to pay for an A-line hem to High-low hem alteration.

Thank you!
November11 Siggy challenge: You and your fiance!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Approx. Cost of altering A-line hem to high-low?

• I figured it would be best to go there first because of taxes and local recommendations, but hadn't gotten a reply yet. Board is a little slow, and I guess I'm just in a "rush-rush" mood haha. So I decided to try here :) I'll wait it out.

• vexievexie member
    First Comment
    Alteration costs do vary based on city, seamstress etc so I'd call some local seamstresses or bridal shops to get an approximate cost.  Good luck!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • I'll try calling the shops up :) Thank you guys.

• Skirt is simple organza and tulle with no embroidery/beading/lace. It has a total of 4 layers. (Organza, Tulle, Tulle, Slip)

• I just went in to have the alterations lady do my fitting on a dress I bought about 18 months ago at a sample sale at their store (not sure if it makes a difference whether you bought the dress with them or not)

To have a ruched bodice taken in at at the sides and back (with a zipper), and 3 layers of dress (2 linings, 1 chiffon overlay, which needs a hand rolled handkerchief hem) shortened to tea length front, heel length back it is costing $165 for everything.

Your tulle layers will just be cut, not hemmed, the slip and organza will be hemmed. The organza will need a hand rolled handkerchief hem...........I've sewn for over 30 years, and would not take on the aggravation of hand rolling and hemming chiffon. It's a royal pain.
  • My seamstress charges $15 a layer to hem.

• Sue - That's a ton of info. Thank you so much. I was ballparking <$100 for my alterations since it's limited to the skirt, everything else is fine. And regardless of tailor and location, I assumed a universal "approximate" just based on labor.

Annie - Not bad, thank you.

I'll try calling up some places I found on yelp.

Thank you again, everyone!

• Definitely call around - that estimate quoted above is low for my area. I had some simple stuff done to my engagement party dress (just the waist pulled in a little) and it was $40 just for that.
  • Update: Found out that seamstresses can charge anywhere from $6-$20 an hour depending on their self-considered quality of workmanship. However, that price can rise depending on the person.

I found out some people in the costume shop in my department have worked with wedding gowns before (some actually do regular business in wedding dress alterations) and I'm just going to one of the girls there. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards