Pre-wedding Parties

Gifts at Bridal Shower

I'm dreading my bridal shower. It makes me feel like a horrible human being to have registered for gifts in the first place but felt pressured into it, and the thought of sitting in a circle opening them for all to see is making me have nightmares. Obviously, I had no say in having this party thrown in my honor, so now it's almost here and I don't know what to do. Can I open the gifts privately and write long, handwritten letters to the people who brought them? Can I tell everyone to grab a gift to open and then go around the circle and have them display what they opened?

Did anyone else on here go through this? It seems like every post I've seen is just gushing about how great it was to have a shower. I haven't seen anyone dreading it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts at Bridal Shower

• You should have denied this offer in the first place if you felt like this.. No one really "makes" you do something. I would not have them open there own gifts that is very tacky, I would just suck it up and do it. Its just one day and if these people threw this for you just do it for them.
  • Sorry but they main highlight of a bridal shower is watching the bride open her gifts.  Guests will be disappointed if you don't.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • joleri23joleri23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Alright, you both made fair statements, so can you offer me some more insight?

What would you do to stop feeling guilty about the shower? I personally have only been to one and I thought it was fun. Now, as my own approaches, I feel like the majority of people hate going to them and think they're awful. Am I over-thinking it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_gifts-at-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:3d1a680f-8dd2-4edd-8949-bbcdf8cd1201Post:4521ad65-b08b-4f51-95a6-975fe935ae89">Re: Gifts at Bridal Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, you both made fair statements, so can you offer me some more insight? What would you do to stop feeling guilty about the shower? I personally have only been to one and I thought it was fun. Now, as my own approaches, I feel like the majority of people hate going to them and think they're awful. Am I over-thinking it?
    Posted by Joanna2385[/QUOTE]

Relax, smile and enjoy. You're making yourself upset for no reason.  Have a glass of wine beforehand if you're really bothered by it that day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The people who truly hate bridal showers will probably just not show up. I just had my shower on Sunday, and I kind of get what you're feeling. It was overwhelming to open so many gifts in front of an audience. Just remember that these are people who love you and probably truly enjoy seeing all the cool stuff you're getting. Just keep smiling, joke around, keep it light. My friends broke up the gift opening with a game, so that was also a relief to have the attention focused elsewhere for a while. Also, I second the glass of wine beforehand. I would never have a shower without sparkling wine available for the bride.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_gifts-at-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:3d1a680f-8dd2-4edd-8949-bbcdf8cd1201Post:1f5584d9-4055-4d63-a481-66b2fd385642">Re: Gifts at Bridal Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never attended a shower that served alcohol, although there's nothing wrong with it.  What about some champagne or mimosas? Is it the focus of attention?  Lots of people aren't comfortable being the center of attention.  I know I'm not. Try to remember that these are all friends, and try to keep up a conversation as you open the gifts.  Ask Jill about her skydiving adventures, Sue about her new baby, or Bobbie about the new trends in interior decorating.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Good advice! Thank you all for giving me some confidence/encouragement.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It will be fine :) I know my friend wasn't super comfortable with her WS either. Her FI was up there with her, so I think that helped. If you are having a Bridal Shower, then ask your BMs to sit with you, if your MOH is keeping track of everything for Thank You notes - or vice versa.

I know I'll be the same way. I get really red in the face and hot when I have to give presentations and such, so I'm sure it'll be similar for our WS if we have one.

Definitely give each item attention. You could maybe even use an idea I've heard when writing Thank You notes - maybe say something like, "Sue, I can't wait to use this when we host our next dinner party!" Or..."when we go on our next road trip." Or whatever.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards