Snarky Brides
Options

A Typical Request For Advice

I've been reading TK 'advice' threads for a while now, and I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern...

OP- I'm stuck up a tree, and don't know what to do, should I climb higher?
Knottie 1- No! Climb Down! Try putting your foot on the branch beneath you!
Knottie 2- Knottie 1 is right! Hold on, I'll try to find a ladder. 
Knottie 3- My friend was stuck up a tree once and tried climbing higher, it turned out horribly, climb down!
OP- I really feel like climbing up is the answer...
Knottie 2- It's not! You're making a mistake, climb down, I have the ladder!,
OP- It's stupid to climb down! I want to climb up! Why should I climb down!
Knottie's 1,2, and 3- Fine, suit yourself, climb up and fall, you're an idiot. 
OP- You're all a bunch of b!ches! You don't know me! You don't know what kind of tree this is! I didn't want your help anyway!

Is this a new phenomenon?

Re: A Typical Request For Advice

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:ebf9bb0e-5acd-4287-9805-8c259b5889f7">A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been reading TK 'advice' threads for a while now, and I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern... OP - I'm stuck up a tree, and don't know what to do, should I climb higher? Knottie 1 - No! Climb Down! Try putting your foot on the branch beneath you! Knottie 2 - Knottie 1 is right! Hold on, I'll try to find a ladder.  Knottie 3 - My friend was stuck up a tree once and tried climbing higher, it turned out horribly, climb down! OP - I really feel like climbing up is the answer... Knottie 2 - It's not! You're making a mistake, climb down, I have the ladder!, OP- It's stupid to climb down! I want to climb up! Why should I climb down! Knottie's 1,2, and 3 - Fine, suit yourself, climb up and fall, you're an idiot.  OP- You're all a bunch of b!ches! You don't know me! You don't know what kind of tree this is! I didn't want your help anyway! <strong><u>Is this a new phenomenon?</u></strong>
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

Yes. And we have never seen a post like this either.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    You win the award for most random post ever.
  • Options
    I have no idea what this means.
  • Options
    I'm so thankful I'm not the only one who just did not get this.

I was wondering why so many women were posting about being stuck in trees.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Dot, she also forgot "But it's my big tree and I can climb higher if I want to.".
  • Options
    I feel like that was a really complicated metaphor. I won't lie, I stopped reading it when I read something about a tree. 
  • Options
    You forgot... "random new knottie #79: "I'm going to point out something obvious so you guys like me! Trees? fvck trees."
  • Options
    I tried to plant a tree in my backyard once.  My dogs -- who were still basically big puppies at the time -- pulled it out of the ground and tore it into fetch sticks.  :(

There shall be no tree climbing for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorry, I thought it was funny, I probably shouldn't have posted it.

Zombie, I kind of thought I had the general gist of this board (It would appear that I am wrong) how long would you recommend lurking for?
  • Options
    Steph, Gabrielle = Knottie #79?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:76bc5e2f-9a30-4795-85aa-1e54ebcd8df7">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried to plant a tree in my backyard once.  My dogs -- who were still basically big puppies at the time -- pulled it out of the ground and tore it into fetch sticks.  :( There shall be no tree climbing for me.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

<div>I can totally see my dogs doing the same thing.  One time, after a storm, we had a few (huge) branches that were hanging half off our HUGE maple tree.  The dogs got on the deck and stretched out really far to grab one. Jumped off the deck (still biting onto the branch) and pulled it off. </div><div>
    </div><div>It was their chew toy/treat for the next month. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:db86a9c4-9a41-47c6-9db4-16412967968c">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]You forgot... "random new knottie #79: "I'm going to point out something obvious so you guys like me! Trees? <strong>fvck trees</strong>."
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

That how the OP in the OP got stuck on the tree in the first place. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:ae9a0351-f3eb-45b5-a97e-80369597f532">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Typical Request For Advice : That how the OP in the OP got stuck on the tree in the first place. 
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

At least it wasn't a rock shaped like a triceratops?
  • Options
    WHisky climbed a tree and got stuck, four times (same tree). We cut it down.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:76bc5e2f-9a30-4795-85aa-1e54ebcd8df7">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried to plant a tree in my backyard once.  My dogs -- who were still basically big puppies at the time -- pulled it out of the ground and tore it into fetch sticks.  :( There shall be no tree climbing for me.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

I find this really cute.

I have lots of trees, and I throw a big stick for my two medium sized dogs, one brings it back, the other goes to the small bushes and chews off a stick to bring back to me because he gets jealous. Its cute.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:11e8e6dc-ca29-4f98-af27-7bf043579e0c">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Typical Request For Advice : At least it wasn't a rock shaped like a triceratops?
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL</div>
  • Options
    I apologize for posting something dumb, it sounds like I need to lurk a lot more before posting any more, I'll spend some more time watching and learning before I open my mouth here again. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:563d397a-9c00-435d-af9b-c98c89adb83a">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Typical Request For Advice : OMG, <strong>she was special.
    </strong>Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

That she was.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:a70d8b33-f1ca-4398-95bc-f7180dfb718b">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Typical Request For Advice : That's probably true.  If "lurk first" = "read through a few threads to get a feel for the community vibe," then I'm on board with it.  I just think, in general, telling new posters that they need to lurk for days or weeks or even months and actively strive try to emulate the regs (1) is pretentious in a "You should try to be more like us!" kind of a way, and (2) will eventually lead to stagnation in the community.  I'm probably overanalyzing this.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]
    Ha, you are.

Yeah, I think it's important to get the vibe of a place. Then you'd likely know that, for instance, snark isn't received well. I think it helps people understand the vibe and post naturally, rather than look for some kind of combination of comments to make in order to fit in, kwim?

ETA: And, no, telling someone to lurk for weeks or months wouldn't be helpful.  That's just dumb. 
  • Options
    MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:2214031b-6c8a-48da-8e0d-ac571be604c6">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the good advice guys.  I'll admit that 'taking things to hard' is kind of an unwanted specialty. 
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

Haha no, what I mean is I think you're reading more... hmm, vitriol? into these responses than really exists there.  Just keep on posting and people won't remember this in a few days. This isn't even "bad," per se.

ETA: Also, I like you.  Stick around.

• Options
    OP has been posting here for at least a week.  I have seen her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:7652603f-db9f-4c07-a472-e20a97f8ec27">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP has been posting here for at least a week.  I have seen her.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>Guess that's not long enough. </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh, wait. I'm confused. What's the appropriate amount of tiem we're supposed to tell people to lurk?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:acd16c4d-d797-47fe-b32d-1136078fa32a">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Typical Request For Advice : Guess that's not long enough.  Oh, wait. I'm confused. What's the appropriate amount of tiem we're supposed to tell people to lurk?
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I would say her 400 posts gives her the right to post wherever she wants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Eh, I chuckled a teeny bit. 

I think it's easy to lurk for too long, because then you "know" the dynamics and are even more conscious of posting.  Sometimes it's good, but in the beginning I found myself typing something out, and then deciding to delete it.  I got over that though, I think.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_typical-request-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1dbfe14-346d-4e2f-9aba-a11e2cab7b7ePost:81b835ba-b3b2-4f9d-9e7a-a543bd1989dc">Re: A Typical Request For Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, I chuckled a teeny bit.  I think it's easy to lurk for too long, because then you "know" the dynamics and are even more conscious of posting.  Sometimes it's good, but<strong> in the beginning I found myself typing something out, and then deciding to delete it. </strong> I got over that though, I think.
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I never did that.  Thus the "everyone has embarassing moments." ;)</div>
  • Options
    I used to be scared to post.  I laugh at myself now.
  • Options
    Truefacts.  Know who used to intimidate me like woah? Sesh. 

I think that's hilarious now.
  • Options
    Haha. Sesh. She's so scary.

I was scared of you, Steph, but you've heard that one before. Lol.

• Options
    Ha.

I was terrified of J. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards