Kentucky

Where oh where?????

Where oh where are good cake bakeries?! I need a good (tasting and priced) bakery in Lexington. Or Georgetown/Frankfort. Thanks!

Re: Where oh where?????

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake was AWE.SOME.  Judy Myers.  She has a licensed bakery in her basement, in Nicholasville.  Looked great, tasted great, and the only thing left was the top layer, despite having an extra 30 servings.  Plan at least 90 minutes when you go for a tasting, though.  She's chatty. 

We had heard good things about Tinker's, but his cake just didn't do it for me (it was sorta dry, and all the flavors tasted kind of the same).  For the price, it definitely wasn't good enough.  Not bad, just not worth his asking price.

Caramanda's has tasty cake.  But they were AWFUL to deal with, and after agreeing to it, refused to let me do fresh flowers as a cake topper, so we cancelled the contract. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    My three favorite in Lexington (well, actually two are in Nicholasville):

Judy Myeres

Martine: http://www.martinespastries.com/

Brenda Renner: http://www.sugarforest.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is going to be from Martine's, love it there and man they have skills! Super nice to work with too.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and that is the second time i have heard bad things about caramandas, specifically about going back on what is in a contract! Not cool!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Violet, I've posted it on here before, so if you read old posts it might have been me both times. 

Their cake was tasty.  But I'd probably limit it to birthday cakes or shower cakes from them, and not something particularly big. I think they have multiple locations now - the issues I had were with the Southland Drive location.  Not sure if the same guy would be involved at both. 

Fortunately, I hadn't written a check yet, so we weren't out any money.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • klgandawbklgandawb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Leigh Sipe is doing my cake and she did cakes for my cousins and they were delicious! She is from Harrodsburg. She is more affordable than a lot of the expensive places in Lexington, makes beautiful and delicious cakes and she is as nice as the day is long. When my fiance and I met with her we talked for over an hour and a half and she brought us a boxes of huge cupcakes to try! Her website is kycakesbyleigh.com. She is in Florida right now but she will be back at the end of the month I think.
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen a few posts on this board that concern me that I want to address.  I am the owner of Caramanda's and I would like someone to contact me with the details of the two negetive comments I've seen on here.  My email is steveh@caramandas.com.

The first comment was that we would not "let them use live flowers for a topper".  Many of our brides use live flowers and if they have an a pre-made topper we will even place it on the cake when we deliver it.  The only thing we do not do is trim live flowers and place them on cakes so that may be the origin of that comment. 

The second is that we "go back on contracts".  This has never happened, please have whoever says that contact me with the details.  When a bride contracts with us we understand the cake is the most vital part of the reception and we take that very seriously. Also our wedding contracts are binding legal documents describing the service we are providing in detail and we don't have the option to exit the contract for any reason other than non payment and we have never had to do that.

We have worked very hard to maintain an excellent reputation and we track complaints and always attempt to resolve issues when they come up.  If you ever hear a complaint about us ask if they reported it back to us and gave us the opportunity to "make it right".   

If you are deciding on a wedding cake you should schedule a consult with us to form your own opinion.  Our consults are free and we appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards