June 2012 Weddings
Options

Meeting the DJ tonight

So FI and I have an appointment to meet with our DJ tonight.  I want to make a list of questions and topics to discuss.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

P.s. I just somehow managed to get peanut butter on my keyboard....
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 203 Invited so far!
image 142 Are ready to party!
image 61 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: Meeting the DJ tonight

• Options
    Lol.  I didn't know of an "anniversary" dance until we met ours.  It's when married couples go to the dance floor and the dj eliminates them by how many years they have been married.  The couple who has been married the longest then gives some sort of marriage advice to the couple.  I thought it was a cute idea.
  • Options

1) Ask if he is also an emcee, as in will he announce the wedding party and other needed "events" throughout the evening. You'd be surprised at some who don't do this.

2) Give him a list of songs you want played and ones you don't want played under any circumstances. It doesn't need to be too lengthy as long as it reflects the overall style of music you want played.

3) If you have any guests with epilepsy, ask about flashing lights.

4) Ask about how many hours he'll be there and if you'd be able to pay him extra if the situation arises to stay longer.

• Options
    You need to discuss the order of events and make sure that everyone is on the same page.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_meeting-the-dj-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:af3d403a-98f6-436b-95bd-089d6b24734fPost:a18b2eb7-db60-474d-9735-356950d19f5f">Re: Meeting the DJ tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol.  I didn't know of an "anniversary" dance until we met ours.  It's when married couples go to the dance floor and the dj eliminates them by how many years they have been married.  The couple who has been married the longest then gives some sort of marriage advice to the couple.  I thought it was a cute idea.
    Posted by ryaneann[/QUOTE]

We meet with our DJ last night, he advised against this, when I asked, he said its the fastest way to kill a dance floor. Once people are sitting back down its harder to get them back out.. but def a cute idea!

For OP - planning out the order of events, who you want to say speeches first, when to have your dance, parent dances, garter / bouquet toss, our meeting was like an hour most of the time was spent planning the entrances as our 6 BP couples had to choose a song each for there entrance as well as grandparents / parents so he can get into studio to put it all together.. at the end of the day I told him that hes the professional, I expect him to feel the guests out and play music accordingly...
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey girlie! How did your appointment go?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_meeting-the-dj-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:af3d403a-98f6-436b-95bd-089d6b24734fPost:ba4d7c88-5567-489c-83f0-cd4777f5ca44">Meeting the DJ tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]So FI and I have an appointment to meet with our DJ tonight.  I want to make a list of questions and topics to discuss.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me? P.s. I just somehow managed to get peanut butter on my keyboard....
    Posted by AbeandCarrie[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    How do you want to handle audience requests? Are you ok with it or do you not want your cousin to be able to request "the Thong Song." if he is announcing you/the wedding party go over any tough pronunciations. Go over your Do Not Play and Must Play lists.
  • Options
    It is tonight, but I can let you know tomorrow. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_meeting-the-dj-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:af3d403a-98f6-436b-95bd-089d6b24734fPost:a47e6ab6-cbcb-4849-ac6b-142790078f6b">Re: Meeting the DJ tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey girlie! How did your appointment go? In Response to Meeting the DJ tonight :
    Posted by Elizabeth80[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 203 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 61 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_meeting-the-dj-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:af3d403a-98f6-436b-95bd-089d6b24734fPost:82321017-7184-41b1-82cb-d44dc8114d84">Re: Meeting the DJ tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Meeting the DJ tonight : We meet with our DJ last night, he advised against this, when I asked, he said its the fastest way to kill a dance floor. Once people are sitting back down its harder to get them back out.. but def a cute idea! For OP - planning out the order of events, who you want to say speeches first, when to have your dance, parent dances, garter / bouquet toss, our meeting was like an hour most of the time was spent planning the entrances as our 6 BP couples had to choose a song each for there entrance as well as grandparents / parents so he can get into studio to put it all together.. at the end of the day I told him that hes the professional, I expect him to feel the guests out and play music accordingly...
    Posted by melfacto[/QUOTE]

Aw, dangit!
  • Options
    1. If I book with your you will you be the DJ at my wedding?
    Do they sub-contract or double book receptions? If so, your reception could end up in 
    the hands of a total stranger, who doesn't know exactly what you want, and could be 
    much less qualified.

2. What makes your services different & unique?
    Do they have creative ideas for customizing & personalizing your reception?
    Will they incorporate your ideas with the personality and style you desire?
    What will you do to make sure our 
    wedding is not the same as all others?

3. Will you meet with us in person to help plan our reception?
    Beware of any company that is more interested in a signed contract and your deposit 
    than the details of your wedding. A true professional will always want meet with you to 
    plan all of the details of your reception.

4. Will you coordinate and direct our reception?
    Do they have a time line & checklist to ensure your reception flows smoothly?
    Will they work with your other vendors? The 
    wedding DJ is the first person everybody
    looks to for direction, and answers. They should act accordingly.

5. Can you provide references?
    Good quality DJ’s should be able to provide you references from the most recent
    weddings and endorsements from other professional 
    wedding vendors.

Other Questions
    Are there any hidden charges?
    Do you have liability insurance?
    Do you make a living at this? Or is it side work?
    Are you an active member of any 
    professional DJ associations?
    What formal DJ and  
    wedding reception training do you have?
    How long have "you" personally been entertaining?
    How many weddings have you performed?                       
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards