DC

New to DC Board

Hi!

I've just moved out to California from MD and am trying to long distance plan a wedding for Sept 1st of next year!... I've never really posted on any boards before so I'm sorry if I break any etiquette. I'm looking for some general guidence from local brides and brides that know how to handle the sometimes iffy weather of our area.

Any other outdoor september wedding people from dc/md? I'm looking for advice on everything, from shoes to vendors, to how to not lose my head in all this craziness! At the moment I'm stymied with worry about how to feed the guests and fit them all into the venue. It's quite rustic - read no running water (it's the barn at Agricultural Farm Park in Derwood, MD). I'm trying to find a set up that fits this laid back on the farm feel but all the caterers seem so expensive and high end. It's a wonder anyone can decide on anything at all with weddings honestly. Any recommendations for super casual vendors? (Or advice on how to relax?)
-c

Re: New to DC Board

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A bride on another board recommended Boston Market for inexpensive DC-area wedding catering.  Their most expensive package is $24.99.  And if you use disposable plates, etc. (which you would probably want to do with no running water), it's even less.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome! I'm getting married next year as well, but all indoors!
  • island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi there.  I second the idea of Boston Market or going with a restraurant (i.e. Outback, Ruby Tuesdays) to cater your event.  They can set you up with plates, etc.  As for relaxing if you can find a WP at a decent rate here in MD, I think that will alleviate a lot of your stress.  That LD planning is very difficult and with the time difference it can get pretty hectic.  If you have WP you trust, it could do wonders for your relaxation and peace of mind for your event. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! :) I completely forgot until you guys mentioned Boston Market, one of my friends used California Tortilla at their wedding and that was pretty simple...  

And 2dBride, I definitely think we'll have to do disposable. I'd like to find something eco friendly, since there'll be a large amount of stuff getting used up.
  • lenergyrlahlenergyrlah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the weather, September is usually warm enough to have an outdoor wedding although it might rain.  I'm planning an outdoor wedding on October 7 and I'm not too worried about the cold.  However it is important to have a back-up plan in case of rain (an indoor reception venue that could be converted for the ceremony, renting a tent, etc).  My sister had an outdoor wedding that was beautiful, but I am very glad she rented a tent because it started pouring during the reception (also outdoor).

However renting a tent is a few thousand $ once you include set-up and tear-down costs,  You also have to make sure that the tent is big enough for everyone for the fire code.  It might be less expensive and easier to have an indoor reception and see if you could book the space beforehand for getting ready and potentially for the ceremony.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards