Registry and Gift Forum
Options

So...people can add things on to your registry?

I just checked my registry and there was something bought on there that I didn't register for. I thought maybe it got added by mistake but no, it said registered for: 0, bought: 2. It's fine if people want to buy a gift that they pick out, but I didn't realize it would add it on to my registry. Plus, this was for monogramed towels that aren't even our initial. They are the initial of my first name, but why would I hang towels in our home with just my first name initial? Strange. I wonder if they were making a personal purchase along with the gift purchase but scanned the registry for both?
"When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis

Re: So...people can add things on to your registry?

• Options
    If someone buys something not  on the registry either for you for for themselves while shopping for you, it oftem gets added to the registry.
  • Options
    I see I see. Well I'm glad I checked because if they bought for me I can have a polite response prepared for when I open it and won't be caught off guard!
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • Options
    It will still show "Requested: 0" on your registry, letting other guests know that you didn't register for these items.  Someone on here suggested NOT deleting them because if it does turn out to be a gift for you, it may  be easier to return or exchange if it appears on your registry.  You can always call the specific store and ask them.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_sopeople-can-add-things-on-to-your-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d1e2a10-46cc-4235-ac0f-111a71bf0bc3Post:f08e5feb-b40d-4898-97c3-f5e142faab70">Re: So...people can add things on to your registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It will still show "Requested: 0" on your registry, letting other guests know that you didn't register for these items.  Someone on here suggested NOT deleting them because if it does turn out to be a gift for you, it may  be easier to return or exchange if it appears on your registry.  You can always call the specific store and ask them.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I suggest not deleting it unless it's obviously not for you - I've seen candy, sodas, etc. appear and you can delete that.  But home goods you should keep on there just in case.  If it's BBB they're pretty good about returning anything, but if it's another store you really want a record that it was bought for you.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Leave it on there and you can always return it/exchange it later on.  There was a black area rug appeared on mine, did not register for, but I never got it.  Most likely the person bought it for thier own home, and had it rung up w/my gift, not realizing it would appear on there.  it did give me a few more dollars on my completion discount. 
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    This just happened to us, and it was a little bewildering.  The weirdest thing was that the added item (stemless wine glasses) was very similar to something that WAS on our registry (and in-stock), it was just a different style.  So they basically said "We see that you prefer these glasses, but we disagree, so you're getting different ones."  Um, ok, thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_sopeople-can-add-things-on-to-your-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d1e2a10-46cc-4235-ac0f-111a71bf0bc3Post:9a0e16b6-27b8-433b-aaa6-633e99c7eea7">Re: So...people can add things on to your registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This just happened to us, and it was a little bewildering.  The weirdest thing was that the added item (stemless wine glasses) was very similar to something that WAS on our registry (and in-stock), it was just a different style.  So they basically said "We see that you prefer these glasses, but we disagree, so you're getting different ones."  Um, ok, thanks!
    Posted by casyme[/QUOTE]

<div>Ummm or they could have picked up the wrong item by accident? That happens a lot.  If you really care, you can return them and get the ones you registered for.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_sopeople-can-add-things-on-to-your-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d1e2a10-46cc-4235-ac0f-111a71bf0bc3Post:3cd88328-9480-4ff0-828d-24839f169907">Re: So...people can add things on to your registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: So...people can add things on to your registry? : Ummm or they could have picked up the wrong item by accident? That happens a lot.  If you really care, you can return them and get the ones you registered for.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

That's probably what happened. Someone else once posted that they'd registered for round plates and got the same plates, but square. I've found it hard to determine which is the correct registry item before, so I'd say it's pretty easy to make an honest mistake. That's what exchanges are for, I guess! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm a registry consultant at one of the big name stores, and whenever a guest buying a gift decides to go off registry, we always recommend that they add the item to the registry when they check out, as it makes it easier to return. So ditto PP who suggest not to delete it until you're sure you're not getting it.

As a side note, it always drives me a little nutty when there are a lot (150+) of items left on a registry, and the person decides to go off registry anyway simply because *they* don't like the items. I always want to yell "well it's not for YOU!" Heh. I mean, I can understand going off registry when there are not that many items left, or getting one thing on the registry and another item that is more personal not on the registry, but the couple took the time to create a registry so it would be easier for their guests to get gifts, you know? And many of them take extra time to be very conscience of price points and number of items. Whenever I can I try to steer them back to the registry for the sanity of the couple. :)
  • Options
    RE: receiving gifts that are slightly different than the ones registerd for...

My friend registered for some really nice wooden photo frames in a specific stain. The thing is, none of the stores that I could get to (I have no car, transit for me!) had that item in stock in that colour, and since it wasn't a SUPER expensive item, they wouldn't bring it in for me (also, no credit card at that time for online purchases).  I ended up getting her a similar style (and from the same design line) in the stain she wanted, and at the shower I took her aside and let her know that I wouldn't be offended if she returned/exchanged it for the "right" one. She ended up keeping it, just ended up placing it on a different wall than the other matching ones....

ANYway...there was really no point in my post except to share my experience...lols
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards