Maryland-Baltimore

Second guessing my wedding dress.

Just wondering if anyone else second guess their wedding dress, is this normal??  i bought my dress the very first day I went out to look.  I "knew" it was the dress from the reaction from my mom, sis, and grandmother but most of all i didn't want to take it off.  I didn't cry but I could not stop smiling.

My dress came in 2 weeks ago and when it's on I like it but now looking at the pictures of myself in the dress I don't know about it.  When I look at other dresses, I feel that I still like mine better. I originally wanted a form fitting simple dress but purchased a gown.

So here's the problem with the dress:  I have the Maggie Sottero Victoriana gown, it has caught up accents.  When I had the dress on, the dress was so flat and the caught up accents just looked messy and sloppy.  With no help from where I purchased the dress from, I had to google my problem and found brides with similar problems with the dress.  They recommended to buy a big ball gown slip.  I found one at david's bridal (they helped me sooooo much there).  My dress is no longer flat, it does have the poof but the caught up accents are still messy looking.  Does anyone think that this could be fixed with alterations?  I have an appt with sheryl at the end of February.  I am just really stressing about this bc this is the only thing that is making me not like my dress.  I only have four months left and I don't know if I should purchase another dress.

Here is the link to the dress:  (I have it in white)
http://tiny.cc/VjbXc

The caught up accents on my dress is laying so sloppy.

On the website, they have a real bride section.  I found a girl with my dress on and this is what i want the dress to look like:

http://tiny.cc/TWZh3

Here is what my dress is doing: 

http://tiny.cc/aiC7g

Sorry for the long post,  I am just really stressing about this.  Any help, suggestions or advice would be great.

Re: Second guessing my wedding dress.

• edited December 2011
    Angie, I think it's funny that the one link of they way you like the dress, the girl is holding a huge bouquet of purple flowers :)  It's meant to be!

But anyways, I think it's normal to have "buyers remorse" or scond thoughts about your dress as the wedding gets closer.  Especially if you buy it on the first/ dress shopping day. 

My very best friend realized that she absolutely could not wear her dress.  Luckily she got an excellent deal on it at a trunk show... her first day ever looking at dresses.  And she decided to buy another dress.  Her sceond dress is absolutely gorgeous and I would never picture her in anything different, but it was somewhat of a debaucle for her and was very hard to decide.  Especially when you think about the fact you've already paid for one dress...

I also have had some "second thoughts" about my dress sort of.  My dress is gorgeous, and I when I close my eyes and picture Kevin and myself at the altar, that is what I picture myself in.  But what I thought I was going to end up with, like you, was a slim, slender, mermaid/trumpet style dress... they looked horrible on me!  I thought ball gowns would absolutely swallow me whole, but that style actually looekd the best on me.  When I put my dress on (the very first/only time I ever dress shopped), I knew by the expression on my mom and grandmother's face they weren't going to allow me to leave the store without purchasing that dress.  And I do love it.  But it's funny sometimes how what you think willl be best is totally not... you have to embrace it :)  It's funny because now, I see other dresses (mermaid/trumpet/a-line) and think, wow, that dress is gorgeous, but I would never even think to try it on, because I love my dress and how it looks on me. 

I am sure Sheryl can really help you.  Everyone who uses her seems to love her, and I'm sure you will be no exception!  Your dress is very pretty!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress very early as well, and now I'm second guessing it.  It's my personality though, and I couldn't be happier when I'm in the dress, so I'm taking that as a sign that it's the dress for me.  The other dresses I tried on I always found something wrong with.  Hopefully once you get the dress to lay the way you want it too then you'll be sure its the one for you again!
  • edited December 2011
    I second guessed my dress up until the day of the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I know I'm posting again... but I think the problem is that when you're planning your wedding you see so many dresses.  Whether it's online, in magazines, in Facebook pictures, in people's bios on TK... on TV shows like Say Yes to the Dress or Whose Wedding is it Anyway or Platinum Brides... you get my drift.  There are a million bajillion dresses out there.  It would be impossible to try on every single dress ever made.   Heck, I almost changed my ceremony location after putting down a non-refundable large deposit because I found another church that was "prettier."  My mom almost died, and my grandmother said, "You're always going to see things 'bigger and better' than what you have, both in planning your wedding and in life... you can't go around switching everything to make it 'perfect' because you'll never get there."  Very good piece of advice, and I think it definitely applies to wedding dresses.

So of course, I think every bride, at some point, second guesses their dress :)  Very normal. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted of what you said your dress is doing. But if it isn't laying right, maybe it's because it's been shipped/stored and there are creases? Maybe if you get it steamed, then you can fluff it out to how you like.

I had one dress that I fell in love with when I saw the picture, so much so that I drove 2 hours to go try it on. Waited another couple months until it came by in a trunk show, compared it to a couple others, but ended up buying it and loving it - but I still have second thoughts about it. I think it's just because it's one of the most expensive clothing purchases you'll ever make and there's so much pressure since you only get one dress. But I bet you'll love it on your wedding day because it only has to make you feel great - not be the most expensive, greatest, elaborate dress out there.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_second-guessing-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:d1a28f15-88d4-4bb3-945b-9604ff1bace2Post:68483550-997a-4d81-9c0c-74dadeba87ef">Re: Second guessing my wedding dress.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second guessed my dress up until the day of the wedding.
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

This.  Then the day of when hair, make-up, flowers, and everything came together, I remember why I loved it in the first place.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kmiller1012kmiller1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree w/Sweetfly.  I started second guessing mine after seeing so many other pictures of dresses and listening to people going on and on about how much they love their dress.  But once I put it on again, I remembered why I loved it.  Its been awhile since the last time and I am starting to question again. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your responses.  I def. feel better now.  I thought I was the only one bc everyone I talked to about this seemed to LOVE their dress and never had a second thought about it.  It's nice to know that others feel the same way.

Strawberry - It is my personality too that makes me second guess things.  But just like you, I do feel happy and like it when it is on.
    Caroline - My mother said the same thing about the purple flowers. lol!  I def took to heart what your grandmother told you. THANKS!!
    Tmm - I have to remember that I will look different in the dress on my wedding day when everything comes together - makeup, hair, jewelry, flowers, etc. 

And maybe Sheryl can help me out with my concerns when she does the alterations.

THANKS!!!!
  • behweebehwee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more response - I'm also second guessing mine!  I bought it pretty early (more than a year in advance of the wedding) which may have been a mistake.  I did go to visit it and try it on last weekend (it finally came in!) and I liked it and I thought it looked good, but still not sure if it was the "one". Plus someone I know bought the same dress after I did and I felt like it wasn't special or unique anymore after I saw pictures of her in it.   I know tons of people out there have bought the same dress but to see someone in it that I know was a little hard, especially since I put a ton of thought into picking out the perfect dress for the type of wedding we're having and the venue and my personality and all, and she basically just bought it without really thinking about it - I honestly don't think it even suits her that well.  Anyway though, you chose it for a reason and I'm sure you'll love it!  That's what I've been telling myself...when I went to the store to try it on last weekend I realized it was easily the most flattering of all the ones I tried on, and I tried on lots, so I think I made the right decision. 
  • edited December 2011
    I second guess things as well.  I went to Bridals by Elena last weekend to help my Mom find her dress.  I kept seeing other girls try on dresses and was thinking "is mine the one?"  My dress happen to recently arrive and they showed it to me - no more second guessing after that.

I think your dress is gorgeous.  I think your seamstress will have a solution.  You're going to be stunning!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with every one else, that once you put your dress on the day of, you will fall back in love with it all over again!
  • edited December 2011
    A little late to the party, but I concur with pp...I had major second guessing issues! I cam very close to buying a second dress...the first time I tried it on after it came in (long story short - there were a few issues with the shop, so that may have clouded how I felt at the time), I didn't like it at all...or the pictures of me in it that we took.

But when I went back and tried it on again after the issue was resolved, I fell in love with it all over again! So, I would advise to take a deep breath, and trust your first instinct. It will rarely lead you astray...good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards