Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dairy Queen

I find Dairy Queen to be a pretty polarizing thing. Everyone I know either loves it (FI and I love it) or absolutely despises it. Do you lurve the DQ or wish they would all get blown off the face of the planet? Or are you meh about it? The only thing that bothers me is that not all DQs have steak fingers (my favorite thing, and pretty much all I ever order there) on their menu.

FI is going to Mississippi for work tonight, and he's staying in a town we always drive through to get to my parents house, and it has a DQ. I'm beyond jealous that he'll be having DQ and I won't. The DQ in our town doesn't have steak fingers, so I won't go :/

I'm clearly very bored.
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: Dairy Queen

• Options
    Ha.  I like DQ but I wouldn't cry if they disappeared.  I like their BBQ sandwiches.  And Blizzards.  And cherry Starkiss.  Okay, maybe I would cry if they disappeared.  We don't have any around us though, so we only have it when travelling.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I like snickers blizzards... but some DQ's don't have them either... but I don't think I would ever actually EAT at a DQ.  just ice cream.
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I like the mini sized blizzard.  I've never tried anything other than their ice cream. 

I've never heard of steak fingers.  Are they battered and fried like chicken fingers?
  • Options
    I only have ice cream at DQ, and I haven't had any in a long time (over 2 years). Blizzards are awesome.

There is a rumor here that a town in Texas is not really recognized as a town until it has a DQ. It seems to hold true for most places I've been to and through.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I love DQ!  When I was in HS our track coach used to make us run this grueling 5 mile path. 

We nicknamed it the DQ run because if you ran in the front pack we would always stop at DQ.

My FI also loves DQ, we take the kids all the time!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:9257ecaa-753a-4868-b99f-85bdb6023291">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha.  I like DQ but I wouldn't cry if they disappeared.  I like their BBQ sandwiches.  And Blizzards.  And cherry Starkiss.  Okay, maybe I would cry if they disappeared.  <strong>We don't have any around us though, so we only have it when travelling.</strong>
    Posted by lharri12[/QUOTE]
    I think that's why I like it so much. The one in our town sucks the big one, and it's not even really in our town, but in the next town over. So FI and I always stop when we're on the road. I think I equate them with vacation.
  • Options
    I LOVE DQ!  Of course, the ones I grew up with weren't the ones with food, so for me, it's just all about the Blizzards and cones with crunch coat.  My dad and I used to always go to DQ as our little outings--fun father/daughter bonding time.  Actually, we still do this :)

Man, now I'd kill for a DQ cone!
  • Options
    I love DQ.  I used to work there for quite awhile so I know the ins and outs too.  I have never had (or heard of) DQ serving steak fingers but that sounds good!  Must be a regional thing.
  • Options
    I've never had anything but ice ream at a DG.  The Peanut Buster Parfait is my favorite :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:d0533ac6-ca0f-4bd3-aaf7-5910f8041435">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the mini sized blizzard.  I've never tried anything other than their ice cream.  I've never heard of steak fingers.  Are they battered and fried like chicken fingers?
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]
    Yup, just like chicken fingers, only they're beef. I think it's the white gravy I like so much.
  • Options
    I love DQ, but unfortunately, there is only one in our area. Augusta kinda sucks...
  • Options
    Where is he going in MS? I hate DQ and only get ice cream if I go. My H loves the place. The food is gross.
  • Options
    I hate DQ. That shiit is not ice cream.
  • Options
    I LOVE DQ!  The past 10 years I have lived 40 minutes away from the closest one so it breaks my heart.  Same with waffle houses.  I need to move to the south apparently.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    I love it, but I pretty much only go for the sweets.  They used to have these awesome chili lime chicken tenders when I was in college.  The chilidogs are good, too, but we have a Cook-Out next door to our DQ, and their chilidogs are better. 

I got my braces adjusted yesterday; I think tonight would be a good night to have a Blizzard for dinner. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:092a2d4a-3318-441d-a468-afe5a8b642d4">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where is he going in MS? I hate DQ and only get ice cream if I go. My H loves the place. The food is gross.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]
    He's staying in Natchez, because that's the closest hotel. He's actually working about 30 minutes north of Natchez, in Lorman. But they dont' have a hotel, so he has to drive. I've never heard of Lorman.
  • Options
    i love DQ!!  We had some last night. But i only love it because it has a special connection. I don't really enjoy the hot treats. I like the cool treats.

Otherwise i'm perfectly content with boxed ice cream, utterly love homemade ice cream my g-pa makes. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:daa811da-da7f-410f-84d8-ad1a225482bd">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love it, but I pretty much only go for the sweets.  They used to have these awesome chili lime chicken tenders when I was in college.  The chilidogs are good, too,<strong> but we have a Cook-Out next door to our DQ</strong>, and their chilidogs are better.  I got my braces adjusted yesterday; I think tonight would be a good night to have a Blizzard for dinner. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Oh man!  Cook-Out!  You've just made me miss NC AND want to go to DQ!
  • Options
    Hmmm, I have never heard of Lorman either. Well, I am glad he won't be eating here in Jackson. All the fast food places here are terrible.
  • Options
    I am lactose intolerant and have sensitive teeth.  I decided when I was 6 or 7 to never eat ice cream again.

Then I worked at small DQ in college (only ice cream; no food) and thought it was crazy the things that went into ice cream.  After a while (with lactaid pills in hand) I decided to try it.  NOW I AM HOOKED!

I love the DQ swirl.  I love blizzards.  I love ice cream cakes!

I know how you feel about giving up something you love in a move.  Ohio has very few (if any) Dunkin' Donuts (and Ihops)  It drove me nuts!
  • Options
    I have never lived in a town with a DQ nearby.  ::sad face::

There are none on LI, none in upstate NY where I went to college, and there's a shitty one here, but it's 30 min away.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    cenglecengle member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I like their blizzards, but that's about it. I had one a few weeks ago that was "the cookie jar" blizzard. Cookie dough, oreos, and hot fudge. After about half of it, I thought I was going to die, but I would have died happy...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:daa811da-da7f-410f-84d8-ad1a225482bd">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love it, but I pretty much only go for the sweets.  They used to have these awesome chili lime chicken tenders when I was in college.  The chilidogs are good, too, but we have a Cook-Out next door to our DQ, and their chilidogs are better.  I got my braces adjusted yesterday; <strong>I think tonight would be a good night to have a Blizzard for dinner. </strong>
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely. That's what I did when I had braces. That shite is painful after you get them tightened.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:e1b6eb64-8916-453a-9a90-4b79bcd48a15">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE DQ!  The past 10 years I have lived 40 minutes away from the closest one so it breaks my heart.  Same with waffle houses.  I need to move to the south apparently.
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]
    Yup, I think the south has much to offer in the way of delicious, but terrible for you food. We're pros at it.
  • Options
    I'm Meh about it. We don't have them here, I don't think. I've never had any of their "food" just their ice cream. When I was little (like 3 or 4) I used to love to go there with my grandparents and get chocolate-dipped cones with the swirl on top. I always avoided eating the swirl and it would drip all over me.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    all this bad food talk makes me think im going to either have pierogi and kielbasa tonight or fettucine alfredo. 

My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dairy-queen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8eed2327-4352-4e51-b287-da65215ac081Post:24dc94e2-7a41-4ab1-9b76-0835b91eb596">Re: Dairy Queen</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dairy Queen : Yup, I think the south has much to offer in the way of delicious, but terrible for you food. We're pros at it.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Definitely.  Case in point:  that iced cinnamon bun thing at Bojangles.  Whoa. 

Heelsy, I think you'd be doing your dental health a disservice if you didn't get a blizzard tonight :)
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dairy Queen : He's staying in Natchez, because that's the closest hotel. He's actually working about 30 minutes north of Natchez, in Lorman. But they dont' have a hotel, so he has to drive. I've never heard of Lorman.Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

My FI's BM wife is from Natchez, they plan to have their vow renewal there (20 yrs.).  Heard it was a pain to travel to 20 yrs. ago.
  • Options
    I can never turn down an oreo blizzard.

I've tried convincing myself that if I park a little further in the parking lot and lift my spoonfulls of delicious goodness enough times, a good portion of the blizzard calories will burn off.  Wishfull thinking, I know, but WORTH IT.
  • Options
    Oh yes i forgot, I get blizzard updates through email. I belong to the blizzard of the month club. I get a bogo coupon on my birthday i'm that special. Muwahaha. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards