Nevada-Las Vegas

Cosmo does the unthinkable...

2»

Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...

• JoeyA_VPJoeyA_VP member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    vegasgroom: Then perhaps if enough people did what you did (refusing to use a venue for reasons related to in-house photography prices or restrictions), some resorts might take notice of the revenue losses.  The obvious challenge is getting enough people to make a collaborative effort that would have enough impact on the resort income stream.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:130213f5-a984-4e91-a9ab-40341690c5d8">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]v egasgroom: Then perhaps if enough people did what you did (refusing to use a venue for reasons related to in-house photography prices or restrictions), some resorts might take notice of the revenue losses.
    Posted by JoeyA_VP[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping.  As more and more become aware of these issues and start to pick and choose based on it, hopefully the 'powers that be' will get wind of it and things will change at some point.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:f08d4e0c-9f3f-4b08-9a03-a97b932827bd">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What the hell...? :(. We are planning to have our reception at Wicked Spoon on September 2013. Do you think they won't let us having our own photographer to take our pictures? Photography didn't come in a package with Wicked Spoon private room deal. So now I'm confused. Gah!
    Posted by eviliciouz[/QUOTE]

As long as the restaurant says its okay you should be fine.  When we were told we could not have a private photog anywhere on venetian-owned property, they did say that private restaurants not operated by venetian did not fall under that policy.

• Back to the sidebars: I LOVE In-N-Out Burger, too!  I can't wait to go in a couple weeks!!  And thanks for the tip, VG.  I haven't been into Tropicana since they remodeled.

And thanks for posting, Joey.  :)
  • JoeyA_VPJoeyA_VP member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012

I don't post very often here for obvious reasons, but I'm glad to be accepted when I do. I usually only post when I feel I can contribute info useful to anyone looking to get married in Vegas.

My experience mirrors vegasgroom's info.  I have never heard of or seen any restaurant that enforces the same photography restrictions as the resort they are affiliated with.  The restaurants AFAIK can be considered independent parties and asked about their own specific terms for photo permission.  If unsure, always contact your venue in advance.

Now that I've considered a method of becoming more anonymous, I think I'll use that method to make future posts.

• I was originally planning to book Cosmo's wrap around suite as my accomdations during our Wedding week because I loved the look and the view, etc, but also partly because then i'd be able to do first look photos without travelling to another hotel.  Since that paln has ben shot down, I'll be looking for a different hotel.  I know I'm not a big spender or a high roller or whatever, but they've lost my business.  :(

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:6deb2b11-16b0-4af3-927d-9e1aac7f8be7">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If Cashman gets its claws into too many properties during the next year, we're going to end up doing our First Look at 7-11.  This is so irritating.
    Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]

Maybe that McDonald's wedding we were joking about before might become a reality.
  • edited April 2012
    This is a total bummer, but from my experience, it's already being enforced. We were deciding weather to do a strip tour or go to the neon bone yard and it's my regret that we decided on the strip tour and ended up losing most our picture when overzealous security guards decide to 'roid out on us. *sigh* I wouldn't wish that on any Bride, but I don't think it's worth the Cashman cost either. :/
  • edited May 2012
    It's very frustrating but from a legal perspective, it's also a liability issue.  I would probably do the exact same thing.  Nevertheless, it's very frustrating.  I hate that we have to now pay for two photographers :/  We ended up hiring outside photo for our reception at one of the restaurants in the Venetian (got everything pre-approved, in writing, that it was not Venetian-owned and was fine). 
  • If liability was the only concern, then all the photographers who carry $1million+ in liability insurance should be able to walk around without issue.  However, to the best of my knowledge that is not the case.  It seems more related to a monopolizing contract with the primary wedding photography vendor for each resort.  

I can understand being a foot traffic hazard if using big things like light stands, but just a bride, groom and a photographer holding a camera is hardly different from when anybody else stops somewhere to pose for a picture.  Sometimes Cashman photographers even use a single flash on a light stand for their photos (I have seen this at Mandalay Bay), and they are allowed to because they are the presiding contracted photo company.  I strongly doubt liability is the primary reason outside photographers are limited or barred from most resort grounds.
  • edited May 2012
    I agree it's not the sole reason but there's more to liability than just hazards caused by the photographer and resulting physical injury. We are a very litigious society and there are many, many ways that property-owners can be tied into lawsuits.

And you're right - it's about the money.  Frankly, wedding profits are just not significant enough to eliminate these contracts when compared to all of the other events that the resorts are involved in (conventions, etc.)
  • FYI, if you're considering the Neon Boneyard, you'll want to fill out a form with them as soon as you can.  I called this week and they're completely booked for our weekend.

Back to the drawing board...
  • Danielle from Wicked Spoon responded to my email and she said, I can still have my own photographer for the reception. If I need a photographer from them, they use All Night Long entertainment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another clarification, the outside photographer can take pictures for our wedding inside the private room only.

That's kinda  a bummer. Good thing, my sister is really talented in taking pictures. She can be my photog for our pictures in front of chandeliers...(hush hush ) :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:387b7e0e-7992-48d5-b21b-df758dddaaaf">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE] If I need a photographer from them, they use All Night Long entertainment.

ANL is great for DJ, we used them, so at least its a known entity if you do go that route.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:8871c733-a88d-40df-a0ad-b341459b83ad">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another clarification, the outside photographer can take pictures for our wedding inside the private room only. That's kinda  a bummer. Good thing, my sister is really talented in taking pictures. She can be my photog for our pictures in front of chandeliers...(hush hush ) :).

Do you know if there is any way to request and get permission from the Cosmo proper to have your own photog take pictures on the grounds?  That sounds very limiting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_cosmo-does-the-unthinkable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:31c1280f-f7a0-43e7-aa1d-fec3ca9dfc96Post:58e9fc42-76d1-48f8-824c-4e7700317aed">Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cosmo does the unthinkable... : Do you know if there is any way to request and get permission from the Cosmo proper to have your own photog take pictures on the grounds?  That sounds very limiting.
    Posted by MeridianLV[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, no; they have asked several people to leave in the past week or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards