Georgia-Atlanta

Is the wedding Rehearsal necessary???

I will be using the same location for ceremony and reception. The coordinator at the venue says we have 7 hours for both and there will be a $350/hour charge for every additional hour. I really wanted an after-party, but my fiance says that will be too expensive if we do that, and I kind of agree. The coordinator says we can have additional time if we dont have a rehearsal and use the rehearsal time the day of the wedding. It sounded like a reasonable compromise at the time, but I'm worried about things not going too smoothly the day of. She assures me that she will make sure everyone knows what they are doing. What do you ladies think?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is the wedding Rehearsal necessary???

• My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I wouldn't feel comfortable without the rehersal. I would be all stressed out about the ability to make changes and such. But I am a worry-wart. And even though you get a rehersal, it wouldn't be enough time for me to rethink, reorganize, or what-have-you.

I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • Sapphire1002Sapphire1002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think you should do a rehearsal. It gives everyone the opportunity to do the "dry run" and your coordinator will go over items/time frames/info with everyone. You may want your officiant there - our's didn't show up and missed a key piece of the ceremony :(.   Can you hold your after party elsewhere?
  • dzjennadzjenna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also would not skip the rehearsal.  Just like previous posts, I think a dry-run is important and makes everyone feel comfortable, not just the bride and groom.  If you don't want to spend more money on an after-party at your venue, just have one out at your favorite bar/club, or at a hotel that has a bar.  One of my friend's did that (she got married at the Fox and after party at Halo) and a ton of people went after the wedding and had a great time.  And, there's no cost to you for that.... just a thought.
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine just got married and she didn't have a rehearsal.  They only had two bridesmaids and two groomsmen and another friend and I each did readings, and no kids in the bridal party.  They told us ahead of time where we'd be sitting and gave us printouts of our reading selections with notes at the top that indicated when it was about to be our turn to speak so we'd be ready.  Since it was such a small group things went fairly smoothly.  There were a couple of small blips but I don't think anyone but the bride and groom really knew -- she only told me after the wedding.  They did do a lot of coordinating with their officiant though.

I'm going to have a rehearsal but I'm going to have a 5 year old flower girl and a 6 year old ring bearer, along with a couple of 10 year olds as junior bridesmaids.  I just want to make sure the kids are comfortable with what they're going to be doing and where they need to go.  We've only got 3 bridesmaids/groomsmen and I think they'd be OK without a rehearsal but I do think it will be beneficial for the kids (and probably the adults in the long run too, LOL!).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MelissaAnne88MelissaAnne88 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The number of people in your party makes a huge difference, that's for sure. And whether or not there are kids in the wedding party, as mentioned above.

I having a rehearsal, because I'm not comfortable without one. But it's definitely not a necessity!
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Is it possible to have the rehearsal some where else other than the venue? You would have to know the layout really well though. Just a thought.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your replies ladies Smile

I agree with you all....we will definitely be having a rehearsal whether it's at the venue or somewhere else. We have 8 bridesmaids/8 groomsmen/2 flower girls and 2 page boys, so I would like the kids (and men) to have some practice before the real thing.  I also still want an after party, so we'll just have to figure something out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • laciedsmithlaciedsmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ABSOLUTELY!
  • edited December 2011
    IF you are having a small wedding and IF you are a really laid back bride, it might be OK to skip the Rehearsal. The main things you do is know when (during the song) to enter, who to enter with, and where to stand. The officiant will take over as soon as you get to the altar, so the main thing is knowing how to enter.

Is there another place where you can practice.

That said, I absolutely plan to do the Rehearsal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards