Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering at Neiman Marcus versus Bloomingdales? Which should I pick?

So I'm registering for stores at all price points. So far Macy's and Target are definites, but for my high end store I'm debating between Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales.  Any suggestions? Neiman Marcus now takes visa, mastercard, etc instead of just AmEx and Neiman Marcus card, so I suppose it's just as accessible as Bloomingdales.... decisions, decisions. My guests will be coming from all over the country so I already know I won't be basing the decision on where the stores have locations. 

Re: Registering at Neiman Marcus versus Bloomingdales? Which should I pick?

• Options
    I have always preferred Bloomingdale's to Nieman Marcus -- they tend to skew a bit younger and trendier with things in my experience. But I really don't think you can go wrong either way!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Bloomingdales has a larger homewares department, in my experience.
  • Options
    I would look through the merchandise at each store (online might be an easy way to look through stuff) and see which specific items you want (china pattern, for example). You should be able to get a good idea of which store has more of the specific stuff you want. 
  • Options
    Look into the completion policies.  Bloomingdales has 20% off completion events, and we got a $100 gift card to spend anywhere but housewares once we had received a certain amount of our gifts.  
  • Options

Do you actually shop at either of these stores?  You should really pick the one you prefer.  We haven't registered yet, but when we do, it will be at stores we actually shop at.  For us, we used to love Bloomingdales but after relocating it really isn't accessible and Neiman Marcus really isn't my style.  The four stores we are considering are Williams-Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond.  We shop at W-S and C+B often, Macy's not as often, but they have nice home goods there and BBB would be nice for all price ranges.  I think we will probably drop W-S in the long run.  You need to consider your lifestyle when registering for goods - not just a fancy store name.  I personally wouldn't register at a store I hadn't already vetted and knew I loved. 

FWIW - I know a lot of people say they love Target for registries, and I shop there often, but I have heard they are often difficult when it comes to returns.   I'd take a look at some of the threads about them before making a final decision.

Good luck! 

• Options
    Honestly both sort of make me roll my eyes (Macy's could be your "high end" store after all), but of the two I find Bloomingdale's to be less annoying.  It also has a larger inventory, like PP said.

Go with whichever store has the invetory you prefer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

keep in mind that Macy's and bloomingdales have the same parent company!

• Options
    FI and I just registered for a wide range of things at one store (Macy's actually) - we put some "splurge" items on the registry for those who wanted to buy them for us (super-nice bedding, really nice pots because I really like to cook, an espresso machine), but then also listed lots of inexpensive, practical items for people who were looking to spend less (our "everyday" dishware was pretty inexpensive, as were most of the kitchen-accessory-type items).  I don't think you need either Nieman's or Bloomingdale's, unless they carry something that you absolutely can't get at one of the other two stores.  
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I never really think of Neiman Marcus as somewhere to register - I'd go with Bloomingdale's but I'd check and see if there is a certain china pattern, etc. that you like at one place versus the other. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards