Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Signature Cocktails

My FI and I are going to have two signature cocktails served at the wedding, my problem is I really want mine to be a Strawberry Mojito but I'm worried about the bartender not haveing time to make it. Because to make an awesome one you have to muddle the mint, and I would hate to have a giant line at the bar because he is stuck muddling mint constantly. Has anyone else run into this problem when decided on signature cocktails? 

Re: Signature Cocktails

• Options
    We're doing Blood Orange Margaritas.  We're going to be premixing before the wedding to save on time

can't the bartender either pre-muddle the mint, or use a mint extract?
  • Options
    I was thinking about that... I didn't know if pre-muddling mint was possible, but i guess i don't see why not, it might not taste as minty... but i'm sure that will be fine? 
  • Options
    I think so.  The strawberry will be more prominant, but that may be a good thing.  Some people don't like mint, so I think it could be a win-win for you.
  • Options
    Ok thanks!
  • Options
    Haha...my fiance is a bartender, and I can tell you now that having a complicated drink like that where he has to muddle all that mint will probably piss him off pretty quickly.
    It's pretty pointless to pre-muddle all that mint.  You have to muddle it in small batches anyway, and the idea in muddling is to release the flavors into the drink immediately after it's muddled.  That mint would just sit around and get gross.
    Also, mint extract? Lol.  Ever been to a nice bar?
  • Options
    I kind of tend to agree with PP. Maybe incorporate a mojito into your rehearsal dinner? Less people, less inconvenience.
  • Options
    What about making a mint simple syrup? We do that at home for to have flavored syrups on hand when we want cocktails, and I think it works well, and then you can just add a few fresh mint leaves for show.
  • Options
    We're going with sangria so it can be premade.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    The simple syrup and reheasral ideas are awesome.  I think that the bartender will get the say in the end, he'll either be willing to do it or not, but you shouldn't sacrifice anything you want without at least asking for it.  In the end, at least you know you can order one for you and a happy bride will make the party awesome! 
  • Options
    I did a Pumpkin Martini ("The Great Pumpkin Martini") because I got married on Halloween, and they pre-made them and walked around during cocktail hour giving them out on a tray.  I think most places will be able to do whatever you ask them to do...

• Options
    I plan to have mojitos as the signature coctail.  I think with a signature drink the bartender makes it by the pitcher full, which is less time consuming.  So just ask, I'm sure they'll be able to do the strawberry mojitos.  YUM
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    My solution definitely would be a mint simple syrup.  Sugar is added to the glass during muddling anyway to help grind the mint so it also sweetens the drink and the simple syrup, if enough mint is used, wouldn't alter the taste of the drink.Thinking about doing signature drinks as well, just can't decide.  Strawberry mojito and sangria sound right up my alley!
  • Options
    We did a cocktail that was just a straight pour - amaretto, crown royal, and cranberry juice.  The bartender(s) mixed up pitchers of it in advance and just refilled the pitchers when needed.  I wouldn't muddle the mint in advance - it will turn brown - but you probably could have the bartender mix up some big pitchers of it which would eliminate the wait for them to first muddle the mint.  Just a thought.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    I think what we are going to end up doing is a Long Island Iced Tea, but because we are getting married in Mackinaw City we are going to call it a Mackinac Island Iced Tea. Cute I know :) Thanks for all your help! 
  • Options
    Any ideas on a signature Italy or Puerto Rican inspired drink?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar image
  • Options
    We have having a bride and groom signature drink. Mine is the Aperol Spritz which we had all thoughout Venice and Tuscany region. It's Aperol bitter, orange juice, prosecco and some club soda. The grooms Signature drink is a dark and stormy which is a rum/orange juice cocktail that is popular in the caribbean. 
  • Options
    melissarandmelissarand member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My wedding planner, planner at the reception location, maid of honor, other female friends, my FH all told me they didn't think I should even bother with a signature drink bc most people won't even want it and most people have their own favorite/regular drink that they will order. It's really a waste of time and money IMO to put out a fancy frilly girly drink bc a lot of people won't even want it. I was told to only do that with champaign or a type of wine maybe. Well, that's my 2 cents. I had asked the same question and that's the answer I got.
  • Options
    Why would you want to serve syrup? I won't even let Starbucks put that stuff in my drink.
  • Options
    I think if you have a good bartender he will know what would be best for that situation. We are doing Malibu baybreeze though so it will be premade.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a bartender, I would recommend substituting the muddled mint with a pre-made mojito mix, Dailys and Master of Mixes are two good brands that come to mind. It will be cheaper and deff less time consuming for the bartender. 

If you are dead set on the muddled mint (and maybe on using fresh strawberries too? yum!) then I would pay to have an extra bartender there just responsible for making the drink. If that was my sole job at a wedding to make one drink (and maybe the other sig cocktail?) it wouldn't be so bad.

Then again, how many guests do you plan on having? That would also make all the difference
  • Options
    I live in Italy currently and I can there really isn't a strictly Italian drink they don't really have a typical mixed drink- most of their liquor is served straight... However, have you ever heard of prosecco? It's an Italian white sparkling wine.. very good, dry, but not as dry as champagne. It's a very good crowd pleaser my FI who is not a big fan of wine enjoyed it, as have several of my girlfriends... I hope that helped!
  • Options
    My friend is a bartender at a nice place and she says that every night they prep trays of glasses with just the mint and sugar (and, in your case, strawberries). Then all you need to do is muddle and fill. She thinks it cuts down on the amount of time needed to make a mojito by a lot... but you need to have space to prep all the glasses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mojitos can be pretty time consuming to make - you may want to do something else. As far as signature drinks, if you are having two, why not do one "girly" drink, and something a little more "masculine", like a Dark n Stormy, for example. 
  • Options
    we're doing two signature drinks, a 7&7 for the groom and vodka lemonade for the bride. it's a summer wedding, outdoors, and i'm doing the vodka lemonade in a highball glass with a red stripey straw. we're also doing a regular virgin lemonade for the non-drinkers. we chose these because of their simplicity, and the fact that they can appeal to a large number of people. if you're going to stick to the mojito, definitely try to keep it down to two base ingredients: mojito mix (muddle the sugar and mint ahead of time) and the rum to keep it really simple.

July 2013 Siggy Challenge: Inspiration Boards!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ask your bartender what he can do fast that fits your strawberry tastes.  If he's good he'll have something snazzy you have never even thought of.  You might end up being ahead of the trend instead of with it.
  • Options
    We're serving beer, wine, and rum punch as a signature cocktail.  We will not be having an open bar, so people who want something else will be out of luck.  Our reception is also in the early afternoon so people probably won't expect more.

My advice is to ask the bartender.  He'll give you honest advice about what he can do, how much time it will take, and like bchin said, he may know how to make something even more fabulous.
  • Options
    my cousins wedding bartender made a picture at a time and then had his assistant pour them into glasses as they came to get the drink while he made the next drink or other orders...
  • Options
    my wedding colors are a summer blue (aqua almost) and a pale yellow....any suggestions for a signature cocktail? We're also getting married July 4th so we could incorporate a splash of red in there...a cherry or something!
    The future "Mrs. Hassan"
  • Options
    kalinskik-  you could do a blue Hawaiian and a lemon drop martini.  Both are pretty easy to make and taste great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are getting married 12/12/12. Reading all the posts has been fun! Our colors are pink and brown so we were trying to come up with a pink drink. We are not having an open bar either so we were going to supply the signature drink and then beer and wine. After looking through the posts I was thinking off vodka and pink lemonade.We had never thought about having a bride and separate groom signature drink. Sooooooooo many decisions to make!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards