Getting in Shape
Options

Insanity?

Thinking about taking the plunge and buying insanity. Looking to see if anyone has tried it and what they thought. Having trouble keeping my workouts going during the week and hoping squeezing in a tape at home will help. 

Re: Insanity?

• Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Doing dvds can be really convenient.  I do them almost exclusively in addition to my treadmill.

Are you doing the full program of jus the workouts?  What are your goals?  Toning? muscle building? losing weight?  how much?

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-10

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_started-insanity-today
  • Options

I haven't personally done Insanity but I swear by P90X... After seing the results i had from P90X i had some friends order insanity and they couldn't stick with it... while it was shorter workouts and a shorter program (45 days vs 90) it was too 'insane' for their current fitness level... If you're prepared to do the work, i recommend P90X... This is long but I just can't say enough.

Here's my review of P90X because I can't speak more highly of it... Let me start by saying that I went into it by telling everyone i knew that i was doing it. I threw out all of the junk food in my place. this included every processed/frozen/high carb meal i had in the cupboard, fridge, freezer.... I didn't do the meal plan exactly as stated but used the basic principles to alter my diet. ABSOLUTELY NO PASTA, BREAD, POTATOES... for the first 30 days.
    When i started, i had a goal to lose 15 lbs.... i did the workouts religiously. I couldn't do everything but did what i could and each week i got stronger and my endurance was better... by the end of the first 30 days i had exceeded my initial goal and had lost 20 lbs. i kept going because everything i read said people stop after the first 30 days because they've already seen such great results.... by the end of the 90 days i had lost 40lbs and 36 inches... i went from a size 8-12 to anywhere from a 00-2 and was in the best shape of my life. At work, they require us to do biometric blood tests every year so our insurance doesn't go up and every single reading improved - glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure was in the range consistant with that of an Athlete!... Also - I always thought i was cursed with my mom's large chest... thought it was doomed to have to have to have to have a reduction like she did... I went from a 36DD to a 32C in 90 days... and no scars ;) 

Best of all - I'm not skinny, I'm healthy and I'm fit! P90X changed my life... whatever you choose, Good Luck!  The picture is pretty current. I don't do P90X everyday.. but close to every other day. It was 2 years ago when ordered it and its the best money i've ever spent.

• Options
    I have heard you need a lot of weights for P90x, is this true? My goals are to lose weight and tone. Getting married in November and want to lose at least 30 lbs if not more. 
  • Options
    Insanity would be a good program for your goals, if you can follow the eating plan (or your own sensible eating plan) with it.  However, I caution you that if you're not already in pretty good shape, Insanity is not going to be the best place to start.  Get moving by doing something else first, and once you feel pretty confident in your athletic ability, then give Insanity a shot.

It's also very high impact, and I wouldn't recommend it if you have any knee/hip/foot/back/shoulder problems.  I don't have any prior knee injuries and my knees still got pretty angry at me.  I had to modify a lot of the pushups in the beginning because of an old shoulder injury.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    I did Insanity and loved it. My caveat is that I change my eating habits and stuck with it. People really try to keep up with  Sean T but he takes breaks even at my level it was great.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in answering the question about the weights for P90X... I only have 8s, 12s and 25s and it works fine for me!... In the beginning i only had the 8s and the 12s (had them already) and it was fine. I added the 25s the 2nd time around and only use them for a few things and would probably be fine without them.... it would be idea to have an entire selection of weights to add more weight each time, etc but for the purpose of toning up, it wasn't necessary for me. I did buy the pullup bar but that can be bought at target for relatively inexpensive. you can also use resistance bands but i don't care for them so while I have them, I never use them.

Here's what i use regularly for p90x:
    yoga mat ($7)
    doorway pullup bar ($25-35)
    8lb weights
    12lb weights
    the other things i use (bar stool & folding chair) - had both already but the bar stool is not a necessity...)
    I don't have a heart rate monitor but it is recommended...

a friend of mine started working out with me a couple of weeks ago (only 3-4 days a week) and she said she's noticed more results in 2 weeks of this than she has in the last 4 months of going to the gym religously and doing weight watchers....

If you end up going with insanity, i'd love to hear how it goes!!! Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions about p90x!
  • Options
    I did insanity and loved it. I have a small apartment so it was really great to be able to do something at home that didn't require any props or anything. Also, I'm working full time and going to grad school full time so I really didn't feel like I could take the time you need for P90x, though everyone I know who has done it loved it. I got asylum afterward doing insanity twice through and didn't like it as much. insanity is pretty damn hard but asylum, holy cow. also, you need to use props for it which doesn't realy work out in my living space. but yes, insanity is DEFINITELY worth the money. I quit my gym after getting it and haven't been back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards