Getting in Shape
Options

What to measure?

I'm planning on taking measurements this weekend, but I've never really known what measurements I should take.  Anyone have a link to a guide that outlines and shows what are good parts to measure and help track progress? TIA!

Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: What to measure?

• Options
    Waist (natural, at your belly button)
    Hips (widest part)
    Bust (widest part)
    Neck
    Arms (biceps)
    Calf
    Thigh

Most people just go with Bust/Waist/Hips.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My natural waist is definitely NOT at my belly button. It's my narrowest part. My belly button is FAR below that. lol
  • Options
    Doh, you're very right FavoriteOne.  Measure at your natural waist, a few inches above your belly button. 
    (and don't suck in, that's cheating)
  • Options
    I have a short torso so my bellybutton is at my waist. If you bend to the right and left, you measure it where you bend.
  • Options
    Nebb and Raynes - how often do you measure? I've been doing it about every 2 weeks.
  • Options
    When I was losing a lot at the beginning I measured every week, since my weight loss has slowed down considerably i do it once a month becuase if i do it more often it just depresses me.
  • Options
    Erm, I haven't been.

When I had a dress to "fit" into (ordered one that fit, but could fit better), about once a week.

I want to start though.  I feel that when lifting that's a better indicator than weight of progress.  Now, to find the measuring tape.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!  Where and how do you measure the arm?  Thigh?
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The biggest part, I believe. Try to aim for the same spot every time. However, I wish now that I had measured at the widest part & right above my knee. My lower thighs are getting more definition in them, though my upper thighs are still huge.
  • Options
    Thanks!  I have a feeling that will be the case for me as well - I know I tend to tone fairly easily on the lower part of my thigh (quads?).  I might aim for the two spots.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards