Honeymoon Discussions

1yr anniversary trip to Costa Rica?

So we are trying to book our 1 yr anniversary trip and thinking of Costa Rica as a choice. We got such good info on the knot for our HM to Greece I figured I would ask for info on Costa Rica. A few questions?

Where to stay?
Is it safe getting around heard don't rent car to hard to drive?
How did you get around then taxis?
What is the cost of food expenisive?
What excusions did you do or which ones to avoid?
If I'm pregnant and go to Costa rica will I be safe?
Any other info would be appreciated thanks a bunch.

Re: 1yr anniversary trip to Costa Rica?

• girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    We went to CR for our 1 year anniversary trip too!  Costa RIca has a lot to offer, so I definitely recommend staying in more than one place.  This was our itinerary -

3 nights at El Silencio Lodge - This was in the cloud forest.  We absolutely loved it there - went hiking, hung out in the hot tub on our deck, read on the porch in the rocking chairs, ate lots of good food, got mud massages.  

3 nights at Arenal Nayara - We didn't love the hotel, but Arenal was fun.  We went whitewater rafting, ziplining, visited a hot springs (Eco Termales), and did a guided hike.  I highly recommend Desafio for booking excursions - they were great to work with and a great value. 

3 nights at Lapa Rios - If you can fit this in, I definitely recommend it!  It was amazing.  Beautiful accommodations, incredible wildlife viewing opportunities.  One of the most unique experiences we've ever had.  

3 nights at Oxygen Jungle Villas - I don't recommend this place, but it was nice to have a few nights just to unwind at the end of a busy trip.  All we did was lay by the pool all day!

We got private transfers rather than renting a car.  We were glad we did, as we went during rainy season (which is NOT bad!  It rained early morning and late night but never during the day.)  and the roads are not great in many areas.  When we needed to get around, we took taxis or had pick-ups because of our excursions.  El Silencio and Lapa Rios included all of our meals.  Nayara included breakfast.  We did not find CR to be expensive.  

We booked with Costa Rica Experts - they're based in Chicago.  I don't necessarily recommend booking through them, though they were fine.  However, they have a great website with lots of info.  

H and I have done a considerable amount of traveling and have been lucky enough to stay at some pretty amazing places.  El Silencio Lodge and Lapa Rios are definitely in our top 6 of favorite hotels we've ever visited.  Highly recommend either or both!  

Good luck!
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • I went to Costa Rica when I was in high school and did a  home stay so I can't give too much advice but I've got a couple of things.

IMO the roads/drivers are insane and I personally would not rent a car there, though I suppose  it might depend on where you wanted to go.

I'd say around 60% of other people who went on the trip ended up getting sick from what I am assuming was the water (not me, thankfully). We were all drinking tap water because we were staying in people's homes and that's what they gave you. I'd make sure that you have access to bottled water and stick with that.
    June 16, 2012
  • dh and i went for a week for my birthday a few years ago. we stayed at one place. we didn't want to go all over-we wanted to relax. we did a few day trips that we booked through the resort so tht traansportation was taken care of. we booked dtransfers from the airport to and from the resort.
    why wouldn't you be ok going there pregnant? if you're concerned the best person to ask that would be your doctor.

• Where did you stay? I kind of feel more comfortable also going just to one place . We were looking into the Marriot. Did you only drink bottled water? Yeh not sure if I will be pregnant by the time we go cause we just started trying so alittle nervous if Costa rica is the place for us or better to be safer at aruba or St maarten. Thanks for any info.
  • Costa Rica has been my home for 2 years and FI's home for 27 years... it's beautiful; you'll love it! 

As for your questions... do you want beach or mountains? Relaxing or more active? Hmm...

Where to stay? For beaches I'd recommend the Pacific Coast (probably fly into LIR). Samara is the most beautiful, in my opinion. Langosta, Tamarindo, and Conchal are nice, too. If you're more mountainy, I'd say Monteverde or Arenal. 

Is it safe getting around heard don't rent car to hard to drive? Buses are safe but crowded and the schedules are rarely posted in public and subject to change. If you speak a fair amount of Spanish, it's fine, though. Taxi's are cheap. Be sure to get in a red taxi with a yellow triangle with numbers in the center. Those are the legit cabs throughout the country. 

How did you get around then taxis? If the driver isn't using the meter, negotiate ahead of time. Taxi fares are pretty cheap and I've rarely had anyone try to rip me off. They can go by the meter, by a flat rate, or be hired for several hours or the day.

What is the cost of food expenisive?  Food is expensive compared to the rest of Central America. It's about the same as the United States (unless you're from NYC like me, in which case it seems cheap haha!)

What excusions did you do or which ones to avoid? Rincon de la Vieja is great. Guachipelin http://www.guachipelin.com/ has a package with horseback riding, tubing, ziplining, canyoning, hot springs and a yummy lunch for $80 which is pretty rad. Palo Verde National Park is worth a visit for iguanas, bats, parots & monkeys... weather-permitting. Monteverde is COLD for Costa Rica, but a really cute town with two lovely national parks.

If I'm pregnant and go to Costa rica will I be safe? Totally. Ticos (Costa Rican) are super baby-friendly and will give up seats on buses for a pregnant lady and tell others to do the same. Food-born diseases aren't too common here, and the water is drinkable. Exercise caution like you would anywhere (stay out of dark streets alone late at night, keep your money out of sight), and skip the excursions that could cause issues. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would love to go there for my HM in JUNE.. but im afraid of "rainy season"// i would hate to spend all that money on my special HM and have it rain
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_1yr-anniversary-trip-to-costa-rica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:2fcd19f1-4d61-4fcf-b538-d4655fa4adbaPost:698aa9ef-3d8b-452c-a14d-0b961eb7a02b">Re: 1yr anniversary trip to Costa Rica?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where did you stay? I kind of feel more comfortable also going just to one place . We were looking into the Marriot. Did you only drink bottled water? Yeh not sure if I will be pregnant by the time we go cause we just started trying so alittle nervous if Costa rica is the place for us or better to be safer at aruba or St maarten. Thanks for any info.
    Posted by tecah123[/QUOTE]

we stayed at a bavaro all incluisive.  no. the waters fine to drink-no need for bottled only. i dont know why you assume you'd be safer in aruba or st maarten. again-speak to your doctor about your concerns.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_1yr-anniversary-trip-to-costa-rica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2fcd19f1-4d61-4fcf-b538-d4655fa4adbaPost:0e763270-c550-4b5b-839b-1c1e80d596fb">Re: 1yr anniversary trip to Costa Rica?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would love to go there for my HM in JUNE.. but im afraid of "rainy season"// i would hate to spend all that money on my special HM and have it rain
    Posted by bpell0402[/QUOTE]

<div>Rainy season has been less rainy the past few years, especially in Guanacaste (the Pacific Coast). In June 2011 there was rain, but not every day. I'd say 3-4 times a week for about an hour each time.</div><div>
    </div><div>In June 2012 it rained once the whole month... for less than an hour.</div><div>
    </div><div>Of course, this is the driest part of the country. I believe other places get more rain.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards