Pre-wedding Parties
Options

ideas to encourage mingling at a small engagement party

Hi ladies,

My family is planning an engagement party for my FI and me.  It'll be a party of about 25-30 - parents, siblings, and friends.  The party will be at a winery - light appetizers and a nice meal with wine flights. 

Short of having games, does anyone have any ideas of what we can do break the ice and encourage mingling?  Granted it is a small party, but I'm afraid people might get comfortable enough in their 'sub-groups' that they won't venture out.

The one idea I had was to have a little side table with framed pictures of us with our family, old pictures of us with our attendants, etc.  ...nothing like bumping into new people at the picture table and laughing at 80s hairstyles and whatnot (-:

Any ideas would be much appreciated - thanks so much!

Re: ideas to encourage mingling at a small engagement party

• Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our engagement party was about 30 people as well with cocktails, hors d'ouevres, and cake. Everyone mingled for a while and then my dad and my DH each gave a toast and we thanked everyone for coming and announced our wedding party as well. There were also photo albums of us set out and different stations with food and passed hors d'ouevres which helped people mingle more. It was nice because it gave a chance for our families to meet and our friends to meet some of our family and there weren't any sub groups that were off to the side, it worked nicely.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The old pictures are a nice idea. It gives everyone something to talk about. Otherwise, make introductions and let everyone socialize. The outgoing guests will mingle, the quiet ones will probably settle in with familiar faces. But that's okay, as long as everyone is enjoying themselves.

• Options
    annah13annah13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We recently had a mad hatter themed engagement party. We had everyone wear a super creative hat, most of which were homemade and we even had a ball pit for people to take pictures in as a play of the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. Check out the pictures below.

Sometimes having a photo booth and themes gives people things to talk about and do during the party to help keep the party going. Hope this helps. xoxo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks, ladies! great ideas, i so appreciate it (-:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards