Kansas

Lawrence venues?

There have to be some brides in the Lawrence area! Anyone know of any really good venues in the Lawrence area? I'd like to stay in town as much as possible and not have to go to KC or Topeka.
Also, we're having a secular wedding so churches are out. And the funkier the venue, the better! We're looking for both the reception and the ceremony itself, could possibly be in two different locations though.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Lawrence venues?

• edited December 2011
    there is a book store on mass...can't remember the name, but they have a venue area above their bookstore that is SPECTACULAR.
    jenifriend
    may flower
  • tracy_irbtracy_irb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not familiar with Lawrence but am also having a secular wedding and was looking for an atmosphere that made sense for us. I ended up booking a restaurant - for both the ceremony and reception. The ceremony is very short without the religious traditions so our focus is mainly on celebrating with friends/family and I didn't think 2 venues were needed for that. I also don't have to worry about renting chairs, glasses, setting up tables, etc.The place we chose is usually open for dinners only. In choosing a Saturday lunch reception we are not only saving on cost, we also get us the exclusive use of the location.

If here is a place of special signifigance for you and your fiance (restaurant or other) you might talk to them. We found a lot of unusual places were touched at the idea of being involved in our wedding and were willing to work with us, at very reasonable prices, and willing to be flexible to create something unique.

Best of Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    you could try the Oread Inn; not sure if they have reception space. Good luck!
  • kbatchellorkbatchellor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my friends got married at the Holiday Inn.  There is also this really nice venue that of course I can't remember the name of right now.  It looks like a hotel and it's located on Mass st.  There is also the Free State Brewery and Eldridge.  
  • wilburncwilburnc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could check out Abe & Jake's
  • edited December 2011
    South Park
    Union Pacific Depot/Visitor's Center (they have a beautiful garden area)
    Stony Point Hall in Baldwin
    Circle S Ranch

Also, PP provided great options too.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • nataliebogannataliebogan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liberty Hall on Mass St. Funky, old theater that they convert into reception space... You can get married on the stage. The people running the place are hippies, so you won't get screwed by contracts. We wanted to have ours there, but our families are enormous, so there wasn't enough space.

Now, we're getting married at The Oread and it's blown the budget. (The Hotel is pretty.. ask to see the fifth floor terrace, great views of the city... but food, drinks, tax and tips are expen$ive.)

If you do something like Liberty Hall, you get to choose your vendors and probably get much better deals across the board. Just something to consider.
  • bourdelaisbourdelais member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My brother had his reception at Abe and Jakes and it was incredible!!!  You should ckeck it out!

• edited December 2011
    Abe & Jake's is by far one of the funnest/biggest venues in town if you are planning for a large wedding. Liberty Hall also has a great, funky atmosphere but only has about a fourth of the space of A&J. Pachamama's also has a nice indoor/outdoor reception area, but they might require you to cater from them.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Abe and Jake's is a really nice and fun place! Go check it out for sure!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I just stumbled across your post, so I know you've probably found some good places by now. But I thought this place was pretty fun when I considered it!

http://www.pachamamas.com/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • wowiemochaktwowiemochakt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know a lot about using Liberty Hall as a reception site? My fiance and I are planning a May 2012 wedding in Lawrence, and we would love to have our reception at Liberty Hall, but we're worried it's out of our budget.
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Our reception is going to be at the Eldridge, and they've been great! There's also:
    - LIberty Hall
    - Abe and Jake's
    - Maceli's
    - The Oread
    - The Union

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Victorian Veranda Inn is a beautiful place. It has room for an outdoor wedding and a reception in the barn. It has no AC right now though, but fans can be rented or borrowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards