Wedding Invitations & Paper

How do I write 4:15 pm?

Hello,
How would I word our 4:15 pm ceremony time on our invitations?

* at a quarter after four in the afternoon
* at quarter after four in the afternoon
* at four-fifteen in the afternoon

Thank you,
VickyFlor

Re: How do I write 4:15 pm?

• First one.
  • Yes, the first one.
    imageimageimage
  • I'd go with "one quarter after four o'clock," but ideally, I'd change the time to 4 or 4:30. Any reason why it's at 4:15?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Ditto msmery.
  • VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    It is an important tradition for FI to get married on the clock hand's upswing.  Knowing my family, I feel more comfortable having a little bit of a cushion just in case something happens. 

Starting at 4:15 pm means we will have time to incorporate some bilingual aspects for my family and exchange vows with the clock hand going up without feeling like we need to rush through things.
  • So you're not planning to start the ceremony then?

Honestly, just talk to people about having a cushion in case something happens and state that the ceremony begins at half after four o'clock.

I know you don't want to be rushed, but it's rather rude to your guests to start the ceremony late intentionally.  Many will be getting there early so you'll be making them wait a long time  - something that's never a good thing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_write-415-pm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:4705bc26-eb9c-4192-947b-e86dd539caaaPost:9815c164-2e0e-4aa1-bb5e-0c273867818e">Re: How do I write 4:15 pm?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you're not planning to start the ceremony then? Honestly, just talk to people about having a cushion in case something happens and state that the ceremony begins at half after four o'clock. I know you don't want to be rushed, but it's rather rude to your guests to start the ceremony late intentionally.  Many will be getting there early so you'll be making them wait a long time  - something that's never a good thing.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

YES THIS.

The last wedding I went to said 4:30pm on the invites.  FI and I killed ourselves to get there on time, just to be informed -surprise!- it actually started at 5.  I was so angry with my friend for doing something so rude when that extra 30 minutes would have made a world of difference.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_write-415-pm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:4705bc26-eb9c-4192-947b-e86dd539caaaPost:d6ca1ada-2580-4fc5-b642-6f40a11d3548">Re: How do I write 4:15 pm?</a>:

[QUOTE] Starting at 4:15 pm means we will have time to incorporate some bilingual aspects for my family and exchange vows with the clock hand going up without feeling like we need to rush through things.
    Posted by VickyFlor[/QUOTE]

Before I get more comments along the lines the previous, I thought I would point back to my message.  We are aiming to start at 4:15 pm to make sure things go smoothly.  Also, if we should have to start later, I don't intend to make people wait 30 minutes.  We arrived at a start time of 4:15 pm exactly because didn't want to make our guests have to wait a while or feel rushed through the ceremony which I am looking forward to.   So, I am sorry about your negative experiences.  That sucks to have to wait half an hour and I take your point. I also hope you can get where I'm coming from.  And....help me figure out the best way to write 4:15 pm ;).
  • ...If your ceremony starts on time, you'll be getting married on the downswing of the clock.  If you plan to start at 4:30 and things run late, you'll still be getting married on the upswing as long as it's no more than half an hour.  Your logic does not compute.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I think it's that they'll actually be exchanging vows on the upswing.  There will be some other aspects of the ceremony from 4:15 until whenever prior the vows.  But I could be wrong.

OP, I'd go with the first option.
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • I think i misunderstood too.

If you're actually planning to walk down the aisle at 4:15 then I'd go with one quarter after four o'clock in the afternoon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_write-415-pm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:4705bc26-eb9c-4192-947b-e86dd539caaaPost:3efc644a-aa5a-4925-b04d-2885d17d9bf9">Re: How do I write 4:15 pm?</a>:
    [QUOTE]...If your ceremony starts on time, you'll be getting married on the downswing of the clock.  If you plan to start at 4:30 and things run late, you'll still be getting married on the upswing as long as it's no more than half an hour.  Your logic does not compute.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

This.
    planning

• I've never understood this tradition - it's only ONE hand of the clock that will be pointing up.  You have to be married between 9 am and 3 pm, in the second half of the hour, for it to actually work.  The root idea is that the hands on the clock form a "cup" to hold the love in your marriage, right?  And, if you start down the aisle at 4:15, is your ceremony BEFORE the vows really going to take 30 minutes?  I think you need to do a run-through first.

The full text of our ceremony is in my married bio, and it took about 18 minutes, just FYI.  No WAY we could have stretched it.  If you're having a Catholic mass, I suppose you'll be ok, but if it's an ordinary wedding ceremony, I'm concerned.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • You shouldn't have to justify what time you want your ceremony to start. If you want it to start at 4:15, then start it at 4:15. So, to answer your original question...I would go with the first one. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards