July 2013 Weddings

Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?

How many of you ladies are doing a sweetheart table?

I've always been against them because I feel bad for guests sitting next to people they don't know, but after giving it some thought I think everyone will have met by then. Plus, people are only really seated during dinner time anyway..

What are you all doing?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?

• Honestly, I struggled with this one too. I never wanted a sweetheart table. Where I am from everyone does head tables. However, the way our venue is set up there is no place for a headtable that wouldn't look weird, esp because we have a large bridal party. However, I've grown to like the idea. We can decorate it nice and it will be good for pictures. Also, it allows the bridal party to sit with their dates so I think that will be good for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am doing it! And then putting my family and his family at one table together, and then placing my wedding party at tables with people they know / their families.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    July 2013 Knotties March Siggy Challenge - Accessories!
  • We originally were not going to do them simply because of the table set up we're going to have... but after thinking about it a little more, we're going to do one anyway and find a way to make it work!

I think it gives you a great opportunity to be able to see all of your guests, no one feels left out for not getting to sit close to you, you and your FH will be able to have a slightly private moment together as husband and wife... etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are going to do an old school head table with  just us and our wedding party members. 1/2 of them are single and unattached and the SO's that are coming know each other and will be just fine at a table with friends until dinner is over. I know around TK it's like a cardinal sin and just about the "MOST rude" thing you can do. . . but it's my day and that's the way I want it. :-P
  • In Response to Re:Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?:[QUOTE]I know around TK it's like a cardinal sin and just about the quot;MOST rudequot; thing you can do. . . but it's my day and that's the way I want it. :P Posted by WalkersFurMama[/QUOTE]

I must not be up on my TK rules. Lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Lol, I'm not up on the rules either. We are having the old school head table. My girls aren't bringing anyone as a plus one bcuz they don't have one or they can't come, and all his guys SO know each other and they will be sitting with our other friends that they all know. I've alway wanted to have the entire bridal party sit together in front of everyone so that is what we are doing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've also been debating it... I think we will end up having a sweetheart table, but I don't anticipate sitting very long, so it doesn't really matter. I'd rather have a head table, but we have a really cute stage where we can put a sweetheart table :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're having a sweetheart table, simply because we have a massive wedding party (9 BM's and 8 GM) and I think it would look ridiculous and unwieldy to have all of those people sitting "together". Plus it just sounds like a logistical nightmare! Also, most of the WP will bring their spouses, longtime partner, or a date, and some of them also have young children... so it is better for our WP to be able to sit with their others/families.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wanted sweetheart table, but FI was against it. Head tables are the norm here, so that's what we'll be doing. I know TK crowd thinks it's rude, but when it's expected I don't find it rude.

Much like how the dollar dance and cash bars are at nearly every wedding around here, I may not being having all those elements, but I hardly find them rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• I love the idea of a sweetheart table, so I am totally doing one!  I do not want to be on display while I'm eating and I think it'd be really special to have a little "date" with my new husband at our wedding reception.  I think FMIL doesn't like the idea b/c the other night she asked me if I was still doing that and when I said yes, she said "oh, but don't you want your wedding party to sit with you?"  I said no, I really like the idea of having some time with FI during the reception.  Then I think I changed the subject... luckily for me, she doesn't really get to pick.  :)
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think we are having a head table with just us and our kids. The WP will sit with their family and people they know, but our 6 kids will be up with us. Mainly so we can keep an eye on em, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_sweetheart-table-yay-or-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9632c96e-2664-4687-a7bc-5ba91a0b34b6Post:2f039261-83d4-4130-b2b8-337adfa0897a">Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we are having a head table with just us and our kids. The WP will sit with their family and people they know, but our 6 kids will be up with us. Mainly so we can keep an eye on em, lol.
    Posted by shilotony2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I just went to a wedding where this was done, and it was really cute! So nice to see the family sitting together. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had no clue sweetheart tables are considerd rude, here in Brooklyn they are the standard thing.  Every catering hall we toured had a sweetheart table as a focal point at the head of the room (although most Brooklyn catering halls are super tacky and over-the-top lol)

Every wedding I've been to in the past few years has had one and everyone clinks their glasses and cheers for the bride and groom to kiss any time they try and have a bite to eat to tease them lol.

I'm going to have it but I know I won't be sitting much at all anyway. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_sweetheart-table-yay-or-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9632c96e-2664-4687-a7bc-5ba91a0b34b6Post:f0a6617c-488f-4184-8788-755188557519">Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had no clue sweetheart tables are considerd rude, here in Brooklyn they are the standard thing.  Every catering hall we toured had a sweetheart table as a focal point at the head of the room (although most Brooklyn catering halls are super tacky and over-the-top lol) Every wedding I've been to in the past few years has had one and everyone clinks their glasses and cheers for the bride and groom to kiss any time they try and have a bite to eat to tease them lol. I'm going to have it but I know I won't be sitting much at all anyway. :)
    Posted by kerryberry13[/QUOTE]

It's not the sweetheart tables some posters on TK think are rude it's head tables. Sweetheart tables only sit the bride and groom whereas head tables sit the bride and groom and the wedding party. Some on TK think it is rude becuase the wedding party is then seperated from their dates. Though I am doing a sweetheart table because of the logistics of my venue- head tables are the norm back where I am from and I would have done one had I been able to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Originally I wantd the traditional head table.  However, our massive wedding party (9 BMs and 10 GMs) has kind of made that impossible!  Thinking about it though I really started liking the idea of everyone getting to sit with their dates, I think that's really nice!  Also, I really like the idea of an intimate "date table" with my new hubby :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
  • I think we are going to to a regular head table. We do have a few members of the WP who have a S/O that isnt in the wedding party and we are trying to figure out how we are doing the tables. If it is only 1 or 2 people who arent going to be sitting with their date then we may just stick them in the head table as well. If it ends up being more than that (which I dont think it will) we will have to figure something else out. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing the head table. FI wanted it.I wanted the SH table. We've talked to our WP about it already and everyone was cool. Like PP said, our WP expected this setup.

Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • We are doing a sweetheart table as well. Everyone in our wedding party is either married or has a SO, that way they can sit with their loved ones as well. I don't like the idea of 'being on display' during dinner, but no matter if we have a head table or not it ends up that way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_sweetheart-table-yay-or-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9632c96e-2664-4687-a7bc-5ba91a0b34b6Post:a189afe4-5054-4e7e-9337-28985f6e48d2">Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]However, our massive wedding party (9 BMs and 10 GMs) has kind of made that impossible!  
    Posted by blondii428[/QUOTE]

<div>Woo hoo! Someone else with a huge WP! We have 9 BM, 8 GM, and 3 FG.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_sweetheart-table-yay-or-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9632c96e-2664-4687-a7bc-5ba91a0b34b6Post:8f0d1535-9b46-46d1-a635-84f2855d2c3f">Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sweetheart table? Yay or Nay? : Woo hoo! Someone else with a huge WP! We have 9 BM, 8 GM, and 3 FG.
    Posted by Chels&Jimmy[/QUOTE]

And a  third!! I have 9BM, 7GM(so far) 2FG and 1RB!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• We're doing something a bit different.  My FI really wanted it this way and I thought it was sweet and something I hadn't seen before (other than at his brother's wedding), but we will be at a table with both my parents and his and both of our brothers and their wives...where he's from it's supposed to represent your first "family dinnner" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards