Jewish Weddings

we should

do a roll call

i feel like there's a tiny (ity bity) jewish community out here, so let's introduce ourselves! i wish we could get more activity on this board

more than benchers, chuppahs and rabbis......and no offense, while this stuff is important, it gets boring! and i hope y'all agree

so, introduce yourself

Name-FI's name:
Colors:
Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):
What do you do on Christmas:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: we should

• edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Sara, Michael
    Wedding Date: ever changing, but currently 7-3-12
    Colors: blue and white
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):  conservatitve/ modern Orthodox
    What do you do on Christmas: sleep in or go to the movies!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    So I've actually been married for 2+ years but I still hang around this board, hope that is okay :)

Name-DH's name: Rachel and Adam
    Location: We currently live in Brooklyn, New York we were married in Piermont, NY which is in Rockland County, about an hour or so outside of NYC.
    Wedding Date: 8/31/08
    Colors:  My bridesmaids wore black, flowers were pink and green and accents were cream and gold.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): I guess traditional/Conservadox 
    What do you do on Christmas:  Movies, Bowling, Skiing, eating at yummy kosher restaurants (or chinese food!)
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Name-FI's name: Just call me Reebs, my FI doesn't like me posting lots of deatils

Wedding Date:
    Early March

Colors:
    *&()@ I'm supposed to have colors??

Traditional/Eglaitarian/Conservative

What do you do on Christmas:
    Since it's shabbat this year, we are bringing kosher Chinese takeout to a friend's house.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    edited December 2011
    Name-DH's name:  I'm Jody, DH is Dan
    Location:  wedding was in Marlton, NJ, but we live in Mays Landing, NJ, near Atlantic City
    Wedding Date:  9/5/10
    Colors: royal blue/white/silver
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): conservative, but I personally lean toward reform
    What do you do on Christmas: the traditional Chinese buffet and a movie at the theater

BTW, a lot of us old married ladies still hang out on here because there is no Jewish Board on TN.
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Meredith and Eddie
    Location: I live in the far flung suburbs of Chicago and he lives in Minneapolis but we are getting married near where I live.
    Wedding Date: Sunday September 4 2011
    Colors: crimson (which is dark red) with cream and gold accents
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Well, my reform rabbi is marrying us but he is doing a conservative egalitarian service for us.
    What do you do on Christmas: My mother's family is Catholic so we go celebrate with them.
    Anniversary image
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    edited December 2011
    Name-DH's name:  Lisa and Glenn
    Wedding Date:  June 19, 2005
    Colors:  I don't think a wedding needs colors/themes.  That's very Bar Mitzvah to me.  My attendants wore black and my flowers were just bright colors.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):  Traditional conservative
    What do you do on Christmas:  Nothing in particular.  We've been away on vacation some years and home some years.  My husbands brother and sister are both married to non-jews and I think this year we'll have to go to his brothers house, as much as I'd rather insulate my daughter from that.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-DH's name:  Jessica and Joshua
    Location:  We live in Los Angeles, but we are getting married in Asbury Park, NJ
    Wedding Date:  June 26, 2011
    Colors: Grey and yellow
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Conservative
    What do you do on Christmas:  Chinese and a movie!  With at least 1 viewing of "A Christmas Story" on TBS
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Ilyse and Eric
    Wedding Date: 10/10/10
    Colors: My bm's wore black and the flowers were all shades of red and orange.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Conservative
    What do you do on Christmas: On Christmas Eve we do chinese and the movies. During Christmas Day we eat bfast and do small gifts at H's parents house (his father is Catholic and celebrates Christmas) and then deliver late lunches/dinners with a local shul to some elderly in the area.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Colors: 1st wedding: black and white with touches of red  
    wedding to DH: a coppery brown and very pale pink (my dress was the palest of pinks)

Cultural only (chuppah, glass breaking, hora at reception, etc.) No actual "religion."

What do you do on Christmas: Growing up and as an adult before I got married, spent the day with my family -- the "traditional" Jewish Christmas: movie in the afternoon and Chinese food for dinner.  But DH's family is Christian so we spend Christmas day with them in a non-religious way with dinner and gift exchange (they do their church/religion thing before we get there).  
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Mary & David
    Wedding Date: 3/19/10 after sundown
    Colors: Navy, Silver and white
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Reform
    What do you do on Christmas: My mothers in the morning for gift exchange as they celebrate chirstmas. Then we grab Dave's dad and brother and hit the Chinese food buffet and maybe a movie.

I like the idea of being a more active board. I check often...I guess I should post more.
    TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • edited December 2011
    Name-DH's name: Rachel & Graham
    Location: We were married in Atlantic City, and we live in Mays Landing
    Wedding Date: 09.05.2010
    Colors: Blue...all shades of it but my mostly towards the navy side. Mix in a little white and silver and that was our wedding.  
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): I was raised conservative, but DH is not Jewish and we were married Reform.
    What do you do on Christmas: Well when I lived with my parents, usually movies or nothing.  Now, since FI celebrates Christmas, we're doing it and hosting my MIL.  BIL and family are visiting other family so it's just the 3 of us this year. 
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Stacie & Jake

Wedding Date: 7/3/11

Colors: Eggplant and other dark shades of purple

Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): I used to work for a reform synagogue and was raised reform, but my FI and I are members of a conservative shul so we're having a conservative, kosher wedding.

What do you do on Christmas: Generally, since Christmas is the day before my dad's birthday, we spend Christmas with him. However, this year we're going to New York for my FI's brother's wedding! Should be fun!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Amy & Russ

Location: Boston, MA (we live in central Mass but were raised in Boston suburbs, the wedding is at my family's shul)

Wedding Date: 5/29/11

Colors: Purple & White

Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Traditional Egalitarian Conservative

What do you do on Christmas: Chinese food & a movie
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Tara and Marcus
    Location: We live in Atlanta, GA, but we're getting married in Maryland (DC area)
    Wedding Date: April 3, 2011
    Colors: Various shades of blue - bridesmaids' dresses are Horizon from David's Bridal
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Conservative
    What do you do on Christmas: Chinese food and a movie :)
    Anniversary
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_should?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:02305350-fbd7-4f41-93e4-7bd227479300Post:e7c1f528-1301-4897-9e90-a63083af25e4">Re: we should</a>:
    [QUOTE]Name-FI's name: Tara and Marcus Location: We live in Atlanta, GA, but we're getting married in Maryland (DC area) Wedding Date:  April 3, 2011 Colors: Various shades of blue - <strong>bridesmaids' dresses are Horizon from David's Bridal</strong> Degree of Judiasm in your wedding  (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Conservative What do you do on Christmas: Chinese food and a movie :)
    Posted by TeamTarcus2011[/QUOTE]

My bridesmaids also wore various styles of dresses in the color Horizon by David's Bridal!  I received a lot of compliments for choosing that color.

What town in MD are you getting married?  I want to add you to my kallahs list.
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Masha (fiance doesn't like me using his full name online so I refer to him as TLS in online postings)
    Location: We currently live in Germany (fiance is in the Air Force and is stationed there). Our wedding will be in New York, NY
    Wedding Date: 05/22/11
    Colors: Navy blue, pink, and green. Fiance is getting married in uniform. His groomsmen will wear navy suits and my bridesmaids are wearing dresses from Lulakate in the Night color with either pink or green sashes.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): reform
    What do you do on Christmas: Fiance is working. My annual tradition is Chinese food and Love Actually. I always watch that movie at least once on Christmas. It's just not Christmas without it. Everything in Germany shuts down for Christmas so I'll get a frozen PF Changs meal and make it at home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whale, I was in Vienna one year at Christmas, traveling with friends after a study abroad semester. We were staying at a pensione type place so no hotel to get our food at and we had to eat. We ended up at a Chinese restaurant on Christmas night, even in Vienna :-)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name:  2dBride, NotFroofy
    Wedding Date:  October 6, 2009
    Colors:  I'm not sure we really had them.  A lot of ivory and gold was involved, though.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):  Reform/Interfaith
    What do you do on Christmas:  Not much.
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name:  Dani, Brian
    Wedding Date: 1/1/2011 - after sunset
    Colors: black, white, silver, purple
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):  conservatitve
    What do you do on Christmas: normally, eat Chinese food and rent movies, but this year, I may be doing last minute preparations for the wedding
  • mickeypottermickeypotter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Susan and Steve
    Wedding Date: 27 March 2011
    Colors: Navy with yellow and white
    What do you do on Christmas: Every year I go with my friend Aliza to a movie and Chinese food on Christmas Eve. We are going on 12+ years of this tradition.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_should?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:02305350-fbd7-4f41-93e4-7bd227479300Post:f46d41a0-792b-4ff9-b54b-7961fa3e0fa8">Re: we should</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: we should : My bridesmaids also wore various styles of dresses in the color Horizon by David's Bridal!  I received a lot of compliments for choosing that color. What town in MD are you getting married?  I want to add you to my kallahs list.
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

Potomac, MD

I'm glad you got good feedback for Horizon blue!  I think it's such a beautiful color :)
    Anniversary
  • chavanolachavanola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Chava, Kaleb
    Wedding Date: Jan 16, 2011
    Colors: Black and Red
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Sephardic --but "frum" would be the closest of all listed
    What do you do on Christmas: enjoy my day off work, typically have a lazy day, but since it's shabbat this year--the usual shabbat happenings.
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name:  Penny, Jesse
    Location: We live in NYC but are getting married in Lancaster, PA (go figure)
    Wedding Date: 3/31/12
    Colors: sapphire, jade, hints of lighter blues/greens
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc):  Reform but more "cultural" than anything else
    What do you do on Christmas: Used to go to a Catholic friend's family for Xmas, but since being with my fiance his parents come into NYC & spend the weekend. Out for Chinese on Christmas Eve & go see a movie on Christmas Day.
  • edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name: Robin & Andy
    Location: Dallas, TX (for all of 5 and 1/2 months! transplanted here from Boston!)
    Wedding Date: January 16, 2011
    Colors: Green, Black & White with a hint of Blue
    What do you do on Christmas: I used to spend it with some of the non-Jewish members of my family but this year we are not traveling so we may stop by and see some freinds who are celebrating, but we are definitely then going bowling!
    Edit: Had my first Chinese food & movie Dec. 25th this year :)
  • jo13jo13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-FI's name:  Jane and Seth
    Wedding Date:  9/25/2011
    Colors:  Not sure yet.
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Modern Orthodox
    What do you do on Christmas:  Sleep late and hang out with friends.

Good Idea.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm late... long weekend in Vegas! :)

Name-FI's name: Stephanie and Seth
    Wedding Date: 6-28-09
    Colors: purple and gold
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding: conservative
    What do you do on Christmas: going to Palm Springs with the family and dogs! taking our own food because the Chinese restaurants were PACKED last year. so mostly just hanging out, but Mom and I are hitting the outlets the morning after!
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry -- I was with PenaltyShot in Vegas (really)
    Name-FI's name: Shoshana & Adam (DH)
    Wedding Date: 10/21/07
    Colors: Blue, White and Silver
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): Mix: Reform synagogue, Reform rabbis; we circled 3-3-1; dairy vegetarian food; Orthodox witnesses for rings and Ketubbah; my dress had long sleeves; Ketubbah in Aramaic and modern English; I walked down to feed the birds.
    What do you do on Christmas: Chinese Food, movie and the back to my aunt's for game playing and football watching
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have no excuse, I'm just late!  I unfortunately don't make it on TK very often since I started working.

Name-FI's name: Ciara and Ben
    Wedding Date: 6/19/11
    Colors: we're kind of working on this.  BM dresses are "Guava" from David's Bridal; flowers are pink and orange; guys ties will probably be silver. kippot are silver
    What do you do on Christmas:  my parents celebrate Christmas, so we go over there for presents, lunch, and a movie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • misabimisabi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name-Abby
    Wedding Date: 11/21/10
    Colors: plum, orange, random other fall colors
    Degree of Judiasm in your wedding (ie. frum, conservative, reform, etc): reform
    What do you do on Christmas: Chinese
  • AnneN2011AnneN2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Names: Anne and Roman
    Location: We live in Syracuse but we are getting married in Philadelphia
    Date: June 5, 2011
    Colors: Navy, Yellow, and Silver
    Degree of Judaism: We are getting married in a Reform Shul but I was raised Reconstructionist and he was raised conservative(ish)
    On Christmas we do Chinese food and a movie if we are alone or we share in the holiday with my Step-father's family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards