Hawaii

Expedited, my ass.

Here we are, 6 weeks post-wedding and still have no marriage certificate. I mailed off the form as soon as we got back and still, nada. It's so frustrating to be married but have no proof. I hate being in this limbo. Thank goodness we are staying on separate health insurances anyway or we would have missed that 1-month enrollment window.

Re: Expedited, my ass.

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We missed it too!  Luckily one of the ladies in our admin office worked it so that I could add my hubby without our marriage certificate - the wait for the certificate is painful!  When you get your expedited one I would guess your regular one will be coming days after, much like mine did.  BS Hawaii, BS!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • breanessbreaness member
    edited December 2011
    Yet another day of mail delivery comes and no marriage certificate. What we did get today was the final bill for the Maui Medical Center. So it's not all of Hawaii that's slow. It's probably because the government already has our money, the hospital is still waiting for it.
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_expedited-ass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:cd104e98-6ee8-449e-bc45-82e006768598Post:3d66a11e-c768-4e5c-917d-9ead239086c8">Re: Expedited, my ass.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yet another day of mail delivery comes and no marriage certificate. What we did get today was the final bill for the Maui Medical Center. So it's not all of Hawaii that's slow. It's probably because the government already has our money, the hospital is still waiting for it.
    Posted by breaness[/QUOTE] hehe  You are probably right.  They all all on island time.
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course when you owe something they are quick! Hopefully you'll get it soon.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I just got off the phone with a very nice lady at the vital records office on Oahu. They've received my request for our certificate, but they haven't gotten it from the Maui office yet, they're backed up by about TWO MONTHS, so we may not even get our marriage certificate by the end of the year... expedited.

:(
  • edited December 2011
    ugh, that sucks! Good to know I should not even bother. Hope you get it soon!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also told that I didn't need to wait for the certificate to add my husband to my health plan, although a while later my plan requested proof of marriage.  I think this is common, and recommend that anyone going through this confirm what if any documentation your plan requires rather than assuming (as I did) what they would require.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  I guess they must have a huge backlog since they just went through the high season followed by the 11-11-11 madness.  I mean, you guys should be in front of all that, but it seems like it has been a crazy year wedding-wise on island anyway.  Check as Carrie suggested -- our insurance also allows you to register and then requests proof of insurance later on in the process.
  • moonbunniemoonbunnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, that sucks Brea. What a pain. I think that is probably the only downside to getting married in Hawaii. My friend got married this past August here in Illinois, and she was able to go pick up her marriage certificate the next week! Hopefully yours will show up before the week is out.
    imageAnniversary
    edited December 2011
    We have already passed the 30 day deadline for health insurance. When I was on the phone with the lady yesterday she said if there's an agency that requires our certificate ASAP we can fax a letter to the Oahu office from them and we will get it sooner. The problem is that the Oahu office needs to get it first and they don't have it.
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Damn! I'm sorry you are getting such the run around. I'm glad we won't need ours right away.
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry Brea, I hope this was a misunderstanding and it's on it's way to you!!!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    still waiting on ours too and we got married 10/21/11!! i didnt do expediated but i hope we get it soon in order to show proof for my husband's veteran's benefits...we need it!! plus my work stuff and insurance purposes..ugh..let me know if you hear anything since you got married about a week before us!! Yell
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow, good to know that you are still waiting. I just got married on Maui on 11/24. When we registered for the wedding certificate with the license agent, she said the standard turn around time was FOUR MONTHS. I really liked the question on the form requesting the faster turn around "reason". UMM timeliness? Record keeping? Life? Family?

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards