Texas-Austin

Best venues, if money really isn't that big an issue

Let's say you're lucky enough to have a very flexible wedding budget...what are THE BEST places in Austin to have ceremony/reception?  My style is elegant, romantic...but soft elegance, not opulent.  We'd want something outside, or something that at least incorporates the outdoors as much as possible (big windows, verandas, etc).  Guest number would be about a hundred.

I've searched online for the best venues, but I don't know if those results can be trusted; if these venues just pay to have their business featured or not.

Right now I'm looking hard at Barr Mansion and Nature's Point.  But I'm wondering if there are other places I'm overlooking.

Thank you ladies!

Re: Best venues, if money really isn't that big an issue

• HalahhHalahh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm an out of state bride and did a whirlwind tour of Austin wedding venues in one day. I looked at the Barr Mansion, Lakeway, Winfield inn in Kyle, the Allan House, the vintage villas, and Laguna Gloria. Before I was set on the Barr Mansion, but my experience there was terrible and it wasn't as impressive in real life as in the pictures. Out of all the venues, Laguna Gloria was hands down the winner. It had the "wow factor" my mom kept talking about. the pictures online do not do it justice. After looking at those, I didn't even want to see it in person; however, after all my picks didn't work out my fiance suggested we go look at it. It was magical. That being said, it's a huge pain in the butt because they charge a lot and provide nothing.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I pretty much ruled out Laguna Gloria b/c they make you cut off the music at 10:30 and they seemed to have a lot of restrictions.

But if it's that magical, maybe I should give it a second look...

Barr was not the best viewing experience when we took our parents during a gray dreary afternoon, but fortunately we had already seen it all lit up for an open house at night and it was very pretty then.  I'm not too thrilled with the staff right now, at least the ones I've met.

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Laguna and I love, love, love it. It is really magical, romantic, and elegant. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and there are so many options on where to have the ceremony.

It's true that the rental fee is JUST for the building (no furniture, sound system, nothnig!) but this wasn't a big deal for us since our caterer acts as our event coordintor and was the one-stop shopping in that regard.

They don't make you turn the music OFF at ten thirty, you just can't have it over so many decibles (can't remember what it is exactly). If that's a deal breaker for you there's not much you can do about that, but I felt that everything else there was so amazing that this didn't matter to me.

I also looked at Barr Mansion and really liked the grounds and the staff. However, I hated the fact that there was a busy road RIGHT next to the venue. I would be worried about being able to hear cars driving by during my cermony. I also wasn't thrilled with the food.

We also looked at One World Theatre. I would check that out if I were you. We were really close to choosing them, but something about Laguna stole my heart.

Sorry I've written a novel! Hope this helps somewhat.
  • HalahhHalahh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's 80 decibels, but since everything has to be cleared out by midnight your caterer will kick you out by 11pm. When we found that out we were pretty irritated but it's still better than everywhere else. The staff at the Barr Mansion is terrible and does not care. I've heard that the food is not good. Also, we have over 100 people and you can barely squeeze 100 into the barn. I thought the Winnfield Inn was awesome and the coordinator there was AMAZING, but I just didn't want to get married in Kyle. Tickled pink- who is your caterer? I'm not sure if you can email me on the side or not.

If there were any venue comparable to Laguna Gloria I would have chosen it because I really wanted a turn key venue and this is the furthest thing from it, but everything else felt like I would be getting married on a farm or ranch and that's not the vibe I wanted.

I went to a wedding at One World and it was dark so I don't remember the venue very well, but I was not impressed.

Villa Antonia looks awesome but is too far from Austin.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen some really beautiful weddings at Barr Mansion.
    The Driskill Hotel is also a popular, fancier wedding venue, but I don't think they have anything outside.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011

Halahh -- My caterer is Austin Catering. They are amazing! Their food is the best I've tasted, and they coordinate the entire reception for you. They are also setting up everything for my ceremony. They are the next best option to a turn-key facility, because they really take the stress out of having to find so many different vendors.

• edited December 2011
    if you haven't already, i've seen many photos of weddings at lady bird johnson wildflower center (http://www.wildflower.org/facilities/) and it seems like a pretty incredible indoor/outdoor space.
  • edited December 2011
    I second (or third) Laguna!  We're doing our wedding at Laguna and the 10:30 noise restriction didn't really bother us since our wedding is starting relatively early (5:30). Since some of FI's friends have a history of getting way too drunk at weddings, we figured it would be good to end it before they get out of hand.  The venue is so close to downtown that the designated drivers can easily drive downtown after the wedding if everyone wants to keep it going.

If you can get over the noise restriction, the Umlauf Sculture Gardens are also really pretty. 

If the noise restriction is really a bother, I second the Lady Bird Wildflower center.  It's a further drive, but it's lovely, and I don't think they have to abide by the City of Austin's noise restrictions.
  • MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also check out villa antonia
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing LBJ Wildflower Center. I'm in love with it, but the event coordinator is a pain to deal with.  Barr Mansion and Lagunia Gloria are so pretty, I agree.  If money hadn't been an issue, Barr would prob have been my choice.
  • edited December 2011
    Lakeway Resort is floor to ceiling windows overlooking Lake Travis.  It is worth checking into.
  • RachelsLoveRachelsLove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Zilker Club house has an EPIC view of Down Town Austin, but I think the reservation process is lottery style. Scary.

The Winfield Inn is beautiful, if you don't mind being in Taylor.

We are getting married at Green Pastures in the heart of south Austin. The food is to DIE for and its beautiful grounds/old house built in the 1800's. Web site is old and dated, and does not do it justice, you must see.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely check out Nature's Point. We visited about 8 venues all around town in one week and couldn't really agree on anything until we got to Nature's Point. It's perfect...so beautiful - the pictures online really don't do it justice. You can have your whole wedding outside - ceremony in the garden or on the deck...dinner & dancing on the deck overlooking the lake - so pretty! They also have a really nice inside space in case of rain. They even have the perfect place for cocktail hour while everyone is doing pictures. My point is you should really go out to see it because the pictures don't do it justice!
  • edited December 2011
    I second Green Pastures.  I just had my wedding there and it was great.  They have beautiful grounds and patios and a pretty gazebo where you can get married, and then have the reception inside.  They are a restaurant, so they are full-service, all you have to bring in is the flowers and entertainment.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Green Pastures as well - beautiful old home and great food. I loved the fact that they were pretty all inclusive... but they are restrictive as far as decorations go...
  • edited December 2011

I would also look into Vintage Villas. We recently were wed there last Sat and received compliments all night about how gorgeous the venue was and how magnificent the lake view was. Lisa was our coordinator and she was definitely one of my favorite vendors to work with throughout the wedding planning process. They provide catering, bar, and basic linens and tableware which is all included in their price.

• lgurnielgurnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Barr Manison in October.  If there was car noise, I didn't notice.  We had an amazing experience there.  Service is TOP NOTCH!  Every single penny you spend there is worth it.  I didn't have a huge budget and they gave me a beautiful wedding.  Our guests loved the setting.  The only thing I didn't totally love was the food...beautifully presented, but it didn't knock our socks off.  The cake and flowers were perfect.  Abby was our coordinator and I can't say enough good things about her.  I love love love Barr Mansion.

Our photos:  http://jakeholt.instaproofs.com/ (Lauren & Chris 10/25/09)
  • dynalee33dynalee33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try The Hamilton Twelve, I'm getting married there this summer! Its sounds like it would be a good match for what you are looking for! good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE Barr Mansion. It's so pretty... a dream to photograph!

Laguna Gloria is gorgeous too, but I HIGHLY recommend investing in professional lighting there. Once it gets dark, it's DARK outside. If you don't light it right, your photographer will be shooting your entire reception with flash only, and personally I think that defeats the purpose of having such a beautiful venue.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Or you could try the Four Seasons. They have space for an outdoor ceremony overlooking the lake, and I believe their ballrooms have attached outdoor patios.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much ladies!  What this is really proving is there just aren't as many outdoor wedding venues in central Texas as you'd think there would be.  Because I've looked into these too!

We've just booked Nature's Point and I couldn't be more thrilled.  It suits us perfectly and the staff is the friendliest I've met...I really trust that they will make this a beautiful, fun, and stress-free event.  Also, I've just been so inspired by the landscape and lay-out of the place that I've been coming up with so many ideas for colors and flowers, just in the past couple days.  I can already tell that I'm going to have so much fun planning our wedding!

Best wishes to you all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards