Ohio-Cincinnati

Inexpensive Wedding Dress?

I am trying to be as frugal as possible with the wedding planning and am trying to find a dress for less than $800. I'm in the early planning phase (wedding date is March 2011) and need some recommendations on bridal shops. I've been to Davids just to check out the recent sale and found a few things I liked but I think I would prefer something that is not so cookie cutter. What do you suggest?

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
Pregnancy Ticker
Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

Re: Inexpensive Wedding Dress?

• mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress off the rack at Wendy's in Kenwood for $420.  I was very unique, IMO.  Also check out the sample sale at Fabulous Bridal.  Not sure when it is coming up, but I also found a couple there that I liked for under $800. I'm also selling my dress- it's been altered, but if you're interested let me know :)
  • edited December 2011
    I bought mine at Fabulous Bridal off the rack for less than $800. I do have to pay for alterations b/c the size was so much larger than what I needed, but I couldn't pass it up.

I would look at a couple different stores and just know that you have to stick to your budget.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I bought mine at bridal and formal for $800. I worked with Cory (and have worked with her more than once...I always pick her when I go in). Know that the price on the tag isn't the best price. She always dropped the price of every dress I looked at. Another suggestion is to look at dresses in shops and then try to find a "used" one online. sites like www.preownedweddingdresses.com and www.oncewed.com are great.
    Also, www.netbride.com will give you a quote on lots of dresses. You can then take that quote to bridal and formal and they will match it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point Hyperchica.  My dress was orginially $1200, but was s sample so they lowered the price to $85. By the time we finished talking, they sold it to me for $420 and threw in free cleaning and steaming after alterations.  Always ask what they can do to help you if you find your dream dress and it's out of budget.
  • abromanelloabromanello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to try Madison Avenue Bridal on Madison Ave. in Covington!  No dress in the store is more than $800 because they have their own factory and manufacture all the dresses themslves.  They don't have as massive a selection as some other places, but they have a nice selection of different styles.  I found my dress there for $500, and it's way prettier than anything I could have found at David's Bridal (which also has dresses in this price change).  The lady who owns it is also really nice and helpful.  I'd definitely give it a shot!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I live in Covington and was hesitant to look in the bridal stores on Madison because I thought they carried pricey dresses, but I will definitely check them out.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought my dress off of www.oncewed.com. My dress that I paid $4000 for- is on there for $500.  The seller changed her mind and wanted something else....never even been worn!
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed- if you are more of a standard size ,then off the rack is for you - if not, then shop around and online. You wont regret it.
  • edited December 2011
    I 3rd Bridal and Formal. My dress was originally around $1500 and I ended up getting it for around $650, I can't remember exactly. I worked with Sally and she was AMAZING!! She took money off the gown without me even asking. They have a huge selection and most of them will work to keep you under your budget. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    If you're okay with something a little simpler, you might want to try looking at designers' bridesmaid lines.  I know a girl who wore a Vera Wang bridesmaid dress as her wedding dress, which she bought for less than $300.  It even had a small train.  Just something else to consider if you don't have luck at the bridal shops. 
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Cincinnati Bride for about $400 but it is considered an informal dress. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price and do comparison research online if you think that you have found the one. Be strict about your budget and honest with the bridal consultant and they will work with you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Snooty Fox in Mariemont.  They now have a bridal section with an assortment of beautiful, gently used gowns for under $500.
  • edited December 2011
    I found a dress that was discontinued at David's Bridal that I loved.  The David's here didn't have it in stock so I called around to other David's in Ohio.  Finally found one in my size in a Cleveland store, bought it, and they shipped it to my house.  I paid $120 including shipping.  I got LOTS of compliments on my dress and didn't feel it to be "cookie cutter" at all. 

If nothing else - just know that it's TOTALLY possible to spend WAY less than $800 for a beautiful dress.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_inexpensive-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:58d82db9-a170-41a2-9d4c-3eef47470a42Post:635bed99-df40-4d61-900d-c3d164d4badd">Re: Inexpensive Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought my dress off of www.oncewed.com. My dress that I paid $4000 for- is on there for $500.  The seller changed her mind and wanted something else....never even been worn!
    Posted by hughe046[/QUOTE]

Ditto this route, though I'd also recommend <a href="http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com">www.preownedweddingdresses.com</a>.  One of my friends got her gowns for free from Kleinfeld's (she won $10,000 to spend at Kleinfeld's in an "Ugliest Bridesmaid's Dress" contest in Central Park) and she putting the one gown from Kleinfeld's that she didn't wear, plus another gown that she had previously purchased but didn't like, up on there.

It's an easy and less expensive way to get a gown (even a couture gown) for a fraction of the price.

gl
  • mjc468mjc468 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at B&F for around $800 with 10% off.  It was a Maggie Sattero

But if want a designer dress for a deal and don't mind waiting in line. Filene's Basement is having 'running of the brides"  Jan 29 (i think its jan29th) up in Columbus. Starts at 8am. Dresses start at $249, retailing up to $10K dresses. I've heard stories that it can be a mad house. I've never personally gone but know ppl who have and get a great deal.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my off the rack at Wendys too. They give you GREAT deals for floor dresses. My $850 dress was only $350
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress and veil from Lillians in Kettering near dayton just off I675. It was on the sale rack so I bought the sample and my total came to $577. I worked with Rhonda and she was great. FYI appointments are required! (937) 433-4494
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards