Not Engaged Yet
Options

NWR: Work Out Issues

OK I have accepted the fact the I need to get my butt moving and lose a great deal of weight. Like a hundred pounds or so (No BS I'm like 102 lbs over what my Dr. thinks of as my "Ideal" body weight) 
I currently live with my SO (BF? NeY FI hell I still haven't figured out what to call him but that's another issue) who is in pretty good to excellent shape. He has NO Issue with my size but I do..I know I need to lose the weight for health reasons and because I'm sick of not being able to find clothes I like in my size that look good on me...

With all that being said, I'm trying to figure out how I get past/over/around the anxiety I feel working out in front of people in general, but my SO in specific. He's very supportive, but I still feel weird. Any suggestions....

Re: NWR: Work Out Issues

• Options
    Have you ever tried workout dvds? I feel the same way about working out in front of FI. I do Jillian Michaels dvds at home when he is either at work or gone doing something with friends. He works in the garage a lot on snowmobiles too so if I ask him to give me a half hour in the house by myself he is fine with it.

• Options
    I'd recommend getting out of the house and running, if that's an option for you.  Especially in this area, there are a ton of fantastic trails, and then you can either run with him or without him.  I am pretty self conscious about working out in front of BF, but I find that if he's running in front of me, I'm more likely to push a bit harder to keep up.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hey. I agree with both of the PP. I started with the Jillian Michaels video until I felt I wanted something more. I hated doing it in front of FI, so I'd ask him to go keep himself busy for half an hour. Like your bf, he's in great shape (and loves me just as I am).  Eventually, I moved on to a gym and a trainer once a week with a girlfriend. Finally, I joined a few running groups and the DC Triathlon Club.

I suggest starting at home till you are comfortable working out. It'll happen quicker than you think. The running group I participate in is through Potomic River Runners. They have them about every 8 weeks, and it's a wide range of athletes. From those who've never run anywhere to marathon runners. But there's always someone there that's your speed. Finding a workout partner, even if you are uncomfortable working out with others can be a huge motivator. That's what gets me to run each day!

Trust me, you aren't the first person to have this anxiety, and you'll get over it the more used to your body and more aware you are of your fitness levels and progress. I was 20lbs heavier in January! Good luck!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Everything PP have said. You really do get used to it, and pretty quickly too. Once you're around the first corner, noone knows how far you've been running. And if you run behind BF then he can't watch either! I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I ask BF to stay in his room for 30 minutes.

And, even though I find it completely weird, BF finds it hot when I go running or work out!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input and the suggestions, I used to love running way back before kids and life attacked me and I attacked the fridge!  Making the time is another issue but I know in my head I need to do something, I just need to get my butt in line with my mindEmbarassed
  • Options
    I'm not sure what your cable service has but, I have Comcast and they have work out programs for free so you can just do them right at home. I used to do those when I didn't have time to go to the gym after work. I also started walking during my lunch breaks when I could find time and adding that in has helped a bit. Even if you only walk a mile during your lunch then do a 30 minute work out it's a start.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I really found that once I made it out one time and felt that burn and the sore muscles the next day, I was more inclined to keep it up. Of course, once you start seeing resutls that will also motivate you. I maybe weigh about 30 pounds more than I should, but still feel self conscious around all those people who live in the gym. I tried to drown it out with music and not focus on anything but myself. Good luck! Getting up and out is the most difficult part!
  • Options
    I find it awkward to do workouts in front of BF, so I totally understand that.  He actually joined me once and did it with me to try to encourage me to stay on track (which I haven't lately...oops).  It made it a LOT of fun to do it with him, more so because I was laughing with him as he tried (and failed) to figure out the routines.

He's really good about staying out of the apartment/in another room even if I ask him to while working out.  
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I also don't like working out in front of people (but dance class doesn't bother me--I know, weird). I'll do workout videos or Just Dance (the videogame) when H isn't home.
  • Options
    I use Wii fit and just do it when BF isn't home.  I've done it a few times when he's home and he just ignores me, haha.  So that's an option too :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards