Illinois-Chicago
Options

Dress alterations/restyling in NW suburbs?

I got my dress at Vanessa's in Arlington Heights.  I know that when it comes in it will need to be taken in, hemmed, and I would like to change it from straight strapless to sweetheart.  They quoted me $375 just to take it in basically.  It would cost even more to get the neckline changed.  I feel like this is pretty pricey and I want to find someone else TRUSTED but I would like it to be in the AH, Palatine, Lake Zurch, Schaumburg area. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
269 Invited image RSVP Date: April 28th
191 Ready to Party! image
77 Missing Out image
2 Making Me Crazy! image

Re: Dress alterations/restyling in NW suburbs?

• Options
    kellycatalokellycatalo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm not sure what the cost would be, but when i was in my friend's wedding i had my BM dress altered at Sylvia's taylor shop, in arlington heights. she did a lot of work on the dress (brought the waist up, took it in, hem) and it was only $40. she did a great job. i'm considering taking my gown there (got it at a'lamour, and i read some pretty terrible reviews about their in-house seamstress)

http://www.sylviatailor.com/
    her website has a list of prices. but judging off of my experience, it seems like you might get a discount if you're getting a ton of stuff done.

only thing is the place is a little hard to find! it's on arlington heights road, just south of central, but i drove past it once before i found it, and i grew up there so  i know the area pretty well. it's in a strip mall but the actual storefront has no lightup sign overhead, just writing on the windows.
    Happily married since 9/1/2012!
    The Whimsical Wifey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sylvia's is doing my dress, she would defintely charge you less than that!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress altered at Here Comes the Bride in Addison after a nightmare at House of Brides. They did an excellent job with alterations & charged $310 for the whole thing up & down. The only thing they did not do well was steam the dress, which they agreed to re-do before the wedding! I'd recommend them.
  • Options
    Hi! I would contact Taylor Wilson Style. The owner Taylor is amazing with alterations and has a quick turnaround time. She is extremely affordable, and by the sounds of what you want to get done it should be less than what you were originally quoted. She is also a fantastic stylist, and can help you with any other things you might need for your wedding day. The company is located in Chicago, but she does travel for her clients her email is info@taylorwilsonstyle.com - Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards