Students

Ugh classmates

I am taking an online statistics course this semester. Included in the course is a math specific website with the textbook (online), powerpoints, videos, tips on how to use your calculator, etc. There are a ton of resources included in this class!

There is also a message board so that you can post questions and classmates can help. We are in week 6 and the midterm is in week 8 (but you can work ahead and take it early if you'd like.) I chose to take my midterm this week so I am ahead of most of the class.

A girl posted that she has no textbook so has been just trying to get through the homework. I
told her where to find it on the website so she could actually understand the concepts and others have given her tips as well. She asked if anyone has actually finished the midterm review work. Then she posted this:
"Could you scan all the solved problems and post here to help us to review because I know that many people here ( including me) have hard time to find the problems? Please help us if you don't mind. We will appreciated you very much "

Ugh really? You want me to cheat so that you can continue to be lazy?! I worked hard on my review so that I understood how to do each problem by hand and with a calculator. It took my a couple of days. I can't stand the laziness of people in online classes. A vast majority don't realize that it is actually more work than an in person class.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm home alone and have no one to vent to. Now to work out how exactly I'm going to word my response...

Re: Ugh classmates

• That sucks, I hate students like that.  :/ 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• I found a lot of this going on in my online courses last term. I couldn't believe it! Do your own homework people!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I went back to our introduction posts for the class and found out that she is going to a different university and is taking this particular class for the pharmacy program. I don't think I feel comfortable with her being a pharmacist (in the future) and she cheats on her math homework!

• Some people's children.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • I take online classes as well & I've encountered a lot of classmates like this. I feel like a lot of people take online classes simply because they think it will be easier to cheat than in a typical classroom setting. I don't understand how someone expects be successful in the real world if they intend on cheating their way through school.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ugh-classmates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:05b23e71-7ec1-408e-a61d-7fc42d509506Post:3152733f-6e31-4ad7-a391-cb56b609c2a5">Re: Ugh classmates</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take online classes as well & I've encountered a lot of classmates like this. I feel like a lot of people take online classes simply because they think it will be easier to cheat than in a typical classroom setting. I don't understand how someone expects be successful in the real world if they intend on cheating their way through school.
    Posted by JefferyandShan[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! The best part is that while sure you can cheat on the homework and quizzes, these classes all have the midterm and final in person. No cheating there! I think it bothers me more because in on online setting there is generally the "get to know you" post and I don't like thinking about these people in their future jobs.

• Doesn't your professor have access to the discussion board? I know that in my online classes, professors can see the discussion board and if you send an email through the online class, it is automatically cc to the professor.
  • Yes, the professor an access the discuss boards. She doesn't tend to for some reason. There are a bunch of people asking her questions and she hardly ever responds. I know that it took her 2 weeks to send an email back to me! Oh well. I'm working ahead and hoping to be finished with all of my classes this semester before Thanksgiving.

• Is the review work graded?  If not, then she's not cheating *shrug* and like you said, even with the notes, she's equally accountable for the material since the exams are in person.

At best, you'd be genuinely helping some fellow studients succeed (I also do well studying from finsihed, worked through problems for things like math, physics, and chem).  And at worst, some students might not do well studying from such a resource, but that's not your concern.

I'm certainly not accusing you of this attitude (since you've already worked to help this girl), but I get annoyed with some of my more competitive classmates who hoard knowledge/review resources

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards