Maine

Outdoor CEREMONY locations in Southern Maine - Please help!

My fiance and I are looking to get married next summer - August 3, 2013 and we are struggling to find a venue for our ceremony. I think we've basically decided on the reception location, but we're really having a hard time working in the cermony venue as well - which, for me, is the most important part. We really want to have it on the coast, outdoors, in Southern Maine, preferably the Saco-area. I originally wanted to have the ceremony on the actual beach, but that doesn't look like we can make it work, so anything that has views of the ocean or water, outdoors would work for us. The problem I'm running into is that most places tend to require you to have the reception there as well or are so much more expensive than we can swing. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for outdoor ceremony venues that can fit 100-150 people, on the water, and that won't break the bank?  We both just really want outside, green, fresh-air!

Re: Outdoor CEREMONY locations in Southern Maine - Please help!

• Any suggestions would be helpful, even if they don't necessarily meet all the things I mentioned!! Thanks in advance!
  • I got married at Fort Williams in their picnic shelter.  It can definitely hold 100 people...150 might be a tight fit.  If you don't care about chairs and people being able to sit, you could get married almost anywhere there.  I'm not a fan of having people stand, so I rented the shelter and rented chairs. 

Cost is pretty cheap compared to most venues.  Even with the added cost of renting chairs, it is cheaper than most places.

You should also check out the Spring Point Light House that's managed by SMCC.  They cost a little more than Fort Williams but they allow chairs on the bunker for ceremonies.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Check out Southern Maine Community College. http://www.smccme.edu/business-a-community/conferences-a-events/function-spaces.html I was at a wedding there a couple of months ago and it was great!  It's on the ocean and the rental fee is very reasonable. You will have to decorate yourself, and I think have your own vendors. The bride did hire a wedding coordinator to do all the decorating and it was beautiful. The outdoor ceremony spots are fantastic. Good luck!
  • Thank you both!! I had heard of both venues but I wasn't sure about them because I hadn't heard much. I will definitely look into the details!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_outdoor-ceremony-locations-in-southern-maine-please-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:b18bd9d9-072e-4f73-bf0d-058d6fe53054Post:a7cc33d4-0553-4587-850b-9e80a2f0cd43">Re:Outdoor CEREMONY locations in Southern Maine Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you both!! I had heard of both venues but I wasn't sure about them because I hadn't heard much. I will definitely look into the details!
    Posted by rolinger[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married at SMCC in June, and the outdoor ceremony venue is beautiful.  I know for a fact that you can do just the ceremony there, if you want.  I'd give them a call :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards