Offbeat Weddings

Am I out of line on this?

So since I was a little girl I have wanted to have a picnic wedding. meaning that instead of chairs people will sit on blankets (other than the elderly and sick i'll give them a chair Wink). Its going to be at a park and basically have the reception the same way. The grooms men volunteered to grill and the groom's family volunteered to make the sides. Just like a big casual picnic with a few wedding like touches. Alot of brides I have talked to say my wedding is way to casual and i am uncourteous host for having this.

I personally thought this was a genious idea since I have a little girl and I know I can expect tons of kids so i thought this would be nice and everyone could relax and not worrying about their kids getting into stuff like at a venue. We planned on having a candy bar and a fresh squeezed lemonade stand. Does anyone have any ideas how to modify this if I need to?

Re: Am I out of line on this?

• Thank You! we planned on lining the isle with flower pots and wood stumps with a picture of us on each stump. This makes me feel better! I was starting to feel like I was insane! haha
  • This is sooooo cute. It isn't rude to your guests, that's crazy!
  • I think it sounds like fun. I don't like it when people imply that you have to host a fancy party to make it worth their time.

Would you consider picnic tables instead of blankets? Or the option of picnic tables? I'm a fan of casual settings, but not of eating while sitting on the ground. It looks like fun, but it always ends up being uncomfortable. If you had tables, you could decorate them all cute and picnic-y. Just a thought.
  • I love your idea! Just make sure to personalize it some how with pictures of you two. By adding some florals and pictures you can keep the sense of family but also get your wedding vibe in there. Best of luck to you on your special day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend had a very similar wedding in 2010!  It was a great wedding.  It was at a state park in Minnesota.  We had picnic tables to sit on but the wedding was outside and the reception was half outside, half in the park building.  The food was prepared by the family and everything was DIY.  They had games set up in the picnic area and a coffee cart for refreshments.  Later in the evening we had a bon fire and roasted marshmellows, too!  It had a lot of heart and the guests seemed to really love it!  

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• The level of casual is not the tacky and ungracious part.  Many brides have very casual events that are beautiful.  What is tacky and ungracious is not providing chair seating for everyone at the ceremony and reception.  People don't want to sit on the ground. They can't see the ceremony behind the chairs.  The get dirty or ant-bitten. They have troubles getting up and down. Not to mention that the ground can be very uncomfortable.  I know you are trying to keep it casual and withing your childhood vision, but the needs of your guests trump the dream.  That is probably not keen to your idea. Have chairs for every butt during the ceremony and reception and you will be fine.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • I think it sounds like a very fun idea, although I do agree with PP, as a guest I would much rather have a picnic table... especially with kids around as a parent you are having to get up, go get them, check on them, etc and getting up and down from the ground makes that harder (no kids of my own, just speaking from experience with my many nieces/nephews lol)
  • I also agree with the picnic table idea. If ladies chose to wear skirts/dresses, they would have to worry about sitting appropriately on the ground. Also, getting up and down may be a pain to many people, especially those over 40. If you plan on having a ton of kids there, then have them sit on the blankets on the ground (that would be super cute) and allow for chairs/tables for everyone else.

Other than that, I think thats super cute!
  • A picnic wedding sounds great. I agree with other PP's about seating. I am incapable of sitting on the ground due to a medical condition but it's not obvious and I would be super pissed and uncortable if I couldn't sit down all day. I wouldprobably just leave after the ceremony. Keep the comfort of your guests in mind. 
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • My only critique would be like PP's said, seating. Other than that, I think it sounds pretty awesome. I used to really really want those small rectangular hay bales covered with blankets to be the seating for our ceremony, but we're having an indoor wedding now. Would something like that interest you? And maybe have pic nic tables for the guests to sit at for dinner. Other than that, I'm actually pretty envious of what you're doing. I wish now that I had kept to something more casual and simple like that! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm just going to chime in with everyone else:  Casual picnic wedding?  Very cute.  Making your guests sit on the ground?  Don't do it, please.  Even for the young and agile it is an uncomfortable proposition.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We definetly have some picnic tables at such at the reception. that was something that was offered with the  large gazebo each table should hold about 8 people and we have 15 of them so will be that option. I am also offering chairs for the people not capable such as medical conditions, eldery, etc. I think its just some what lashing out to call me an ungracious host since is just beginning planning  Tongue out I do value your  opinions though and appreciate them so thank you :) 
  • The ladies on this bored do not usually lash out. You asked if you were out of line and also asked for opinions. I think you got good advice.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • I think your idea is lovely.  Best of luck.
  • Everything sounds great except your seating. 
    Just because someone is young doesn't mean they don't have any physical impairments and don't assume that you know whats going on with your friends families bodies....
    I'm 28 years old but I'd say 98% of my friends and family have no clue I have severe arthritis in both my knees.  If I had to sit on the ground for more than 5-10 mins. I wouldn't be able to walk for the rest of the day.
    Really consider getting picnic tables or some sort of table and chairs where everyone can sit.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Ditto the girls-- it sounds awesome minus the seating. As a guest, I wouldn't be thrilled to have to sit on the ground. JMO. 

Good luck with planning!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think the blanket Idea is good for the ceremony but may not be the best idea for a reception (trying to eat while sitting on the ground can get quite awkward). Im glad you have the option of picnic tables. I plan on doing blankets instead of chairs for my ceremony (I too will have chairs for the elderly, sick and those who cannot sit on the ground). Just make sure you let your guests know so they can dress properly. Other than than that I think it sounds cute.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • I know I am putting my opinion out there a little late, but, I hope you get to see it. I hope you have seating for ALL of your guests. Please no blankets for adults to sit on the ground. I am 35 and very active. I walk in the park and exercise even though I am an amputee. People tend to not realize thatr even though I am active, I still do have certain limitations like sitting on the ground. I've been to events like this and it was extremely uncomfortable. The host had the seats for the elderly and "disabled" BUT I noticed "able bodied" guests taking seats that were supposed to be for disabled guests and like a PP said, when your disability is not as obvious, people assume and can be pretty rude and took my chair! That's just my point of view...please consider what I'm saying. Other than that, it sounds lovely.
    "The moon shines so brightly...but just not as bright as my heart does when I think about how much I love you," said by my honey, James.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards