Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wording of a Deceased Parent on Wedding Programs

When listing the parent's of the bride and the groom, how do you word it when only one of the parent's is deaseased?

Also, we're including a "In Memoriam" section in our program to honor my late FFIL.  Any ideas on what to include?

TTC #1 since 11/2010
Me: 33 dx PCOS 11/2012
DH: 37 SA 6/2012 - normal
Cycle #1 on 50 mg Clomid 12/2012 - unsucessful
Cycle #2 on 75 mg Clomid + Trigger 01/2013 - unsucessful
Cycle #3 on 600 mg Vitex + acupuncture 02/2013

Anniversary

Re: Wording of a Deceased Parent on Wedding Programs

• "When one of the bride’s parents is deceased, her wedding invitations are issued by her surviving parent."

"While it is a lovely sentiment that you would want to include your deceased parent on your wedding invitation, there really isn’t a way to properly do that. The purpose of the invitation is to invite your guests to your wedding with all the details. It lists the host or hosts of your wedding and the only logical space to list your father’s name would be on the invitational line. However, since he is deceased, he cannot be a host."

According to this site which discusses the proper etiquette, a deceased parent's name should not be on the invitation.

http://beautifulweddinginvitations.com/etiquette.php#1
  • Lisa, I think OP was referring to programs instead of invitations.

This article (clicky) has some good ideas. Specifically, the wording suggestion for a Memoriam in programs goes like this: "Today we honor those who could not be with us, especially the bride’s stepmother Alison Janet Brooks.”
  • On my program, we will be doing:

Mother of the Bride- The late Mrs.October010.

Sorry for your loss.
  • andy71781andy71781 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    For mine we are saying: Parents of the Groom - Dr. FFIL and Ms. FMIL (may her memory be a blessing).

The  "may her memory be a blessing" is in hebrew.  Not sure if you are jewish but they do this thing all the time apparently.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oooh, Andy I like that wording A LOT. :) FI was very close to his grandfather who passed a few years ago, and I've been starting to contemplate my programs and whether we should do a "Memoriam" for him or not.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wording-of-deceased-parent-wedding-programs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0afd1a3b-1708-4548-9cd8-2048b5c5274aPost:7a63635a-5afb-4aac-b483-a023fc93db8e">Re: Wording of a Deceased Parent on Wedding Programs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oooh, Andy I like that wording A LOT. :) FI was very close to his grandfather who passed a few years ago, and I've been starting to contemplate my programs and whether we should do a "Memoriam" for him or not.
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!  I think its nice to do. Don't tell the etiquette gods (because I totally know about the rule) but that's how our invites were worded too.  FI's family was really insistent on it and I thought it was worth a rule violation.  Shhhh....

I'm sorry about your FI's grandpa. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD and FSIL are putting

son of Eloise and Horace+ Zippy

The + shown above is actuall a very small superscript cross on the programs and invites.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wording-of-deceased-parent-wedding-programs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0afd1a3b-1708-4548-9cd8-2048b5c5274aPost:6ae418c6-d641-4ab0-b2ba-d41af3e08e12">Re: Wording of a Deceased Parent on Wedding Programs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lisa, I think OP was referring to programs instead of invitations. This article ( clicky ) has some good ideas. Specifically, the wording suggestion for a Memoriam in programs goes like this: "Today we honor those who could not be with us, especially the bride’s stepmother Alison Janet Brooks.”
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]
    You are correct. Sorry I missed that.
  • My college rooomate lost her father at a young age and was just married this weekend. Her program read something like:

"We'd like to remember those close to us who are no longer with us but looking down on this special day"(or something like that)

Father of the bride
    GRandparents of the bride
    Grandparents of the groom

They even put in a recognition for the bride's living grandmother who was not able to travel.
  • my invitations has (because sadly my dad passed away 3 years ago) 'this celebration is dedicated to the memor of XX, father of te bride
    I dont car what etiquette says, there was no way i wasnt going to honor the man who brought me up and made my life wonderful
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards