Not Engaged Yet

What was your life like 5 years ago?

As I was laying in bed last night, I was thinking about how content I was. About how different my life was 5 years ago. And how I told my dad two weeks after dating Andrew, "I know that you wouldn’t have to worry about my future with Andrew. You could be rest assured that I would be happy and taken care of."
And I was very correct about this statement- more so then I could have even guessed at the time.

What has happened in the last 5 years?
Could you have guessed 5 years ago what your life would have been like today?

BONUS POINTS for pictures!!

ETA: Additional Question-
What do you think the NEXT five years will hold?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    5 years ago I was in my senior year of college & living in NYC. I was dating my ex-bf. I partied just about every night lol

Me on some random bike after leaving a bar in the city:

I graduated college, got a big-girl job, met Sean, fell in love, adopted 2 kitters & 1 pupper, moved 4x, lost my Poppop, got engaged. 

College graduation:

Me & Sean a few months into our relationship (yuck I still smoked!):

I probably could have guessed that I would be working at a brokerage because that's what my goal was (so yay for that).  I could have guessed that I would be living on my own (moving in with my parents after graduation was so not an option for me, I just couldn't do it) & that I'd have at least 2 cats.  I never would have guessed that my Poppop would pass away so soon, that I would be head over heels in love & getting married, & that I'd have a dog (I've never really been a dog person at all). 

ETA: pictures!!

• edited December 2011
    * 5 years ago I drove out to Denver from Virginia with a girlfriend from college. We had just graduated and drove across the country with only the items that would fit into my Ford Focus.
    * 5 Years ago I started my first post-college job.
    * 5 years ago I was set up on my first blind date with BF by my boss at the time.

* The girlfriend I moved out here with has since gotten married and their first baby is due in February! I've also managed to meet many more friends since moving to Denver.
    * I've stayed at the same company for the past 5 years. I had a goal to become a Landman (industry-specific title) and am almost there. I'm expecting a promotion (fingers crossed!) before year's end!
    * BF and I are still going strong since that first blind date. Who would have guessed? He has a ring and I'm guessing next year is going to be pretty darn awesome!

I would never have guessed 5 years ago that I would own my own home, that I'd be with a guy I plan to someday call my husband or that I would have had such a successful career on the first try! I am truly blessed. I just wish I could promise every recent college grad that things will turn out amazing - as scary as that first step might be!

ETA - Pics:

One of the first pics of BF & I in my 1st appartment in CO

A more recent pic of BF & I

ETA #2: "What do you think the next 5 years will hold?"
    Hopefully a marriage, the purchase of our first home together, 1-2 babies (maybe more if I have my way! haha) and a promotion to Landman II. Yeah...let's shoot for all of that!
  • Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    5 years ago I had just gotten married to my XH, we purchased a condo and were planning our first married Christmas together.

I had a pregnancy and miscarriage, then a successful pregnancy with DD #2, an extremely ugly divorce with XH and having to deal with the other woman pregnant at the same time I was, lost my house, lost my job, had to live with my parents, parents ended up getting divorced after that, and I met my FI after dating a few losers.

No. In all honesty, going in to my first marriage, I knew that we probably wouldn't make it "forever", but I figured we would be able to make it through the high school years with the kids. I honestly pictured us living in a different state further north in a 2 story colonial style home. I never imagined I would have had to go through what I did. I honestly was completely blind sided by everything, and for years every time I thought I hit rock bottom, something else happened and I'd fall even further.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    I was in college, and not in a relationship.  however, I was still devastated from the break-up of a relationship the year before and not even thinking about a boyfriend.  I spent a lot of time with friends and at the university.

I was in a bad relationship and spent 9 months trying to get out of it; I got a new puppy; I graduated college and got a real job; I met and started dating my H; we broke up; we got back together after he grew up a little bit; we got engaged; we bought a house; we got married.

no way!  I knew my H, but he was a little too wild for me.  I had a small crush on him, but there was no way we'd ever end up together.  I didn't think I'd still be at this job (but with the economy and restrictions on feds, I'm stuck indefinitely).  but besides that, I have a home of my own, a job, and my dog... and now a H!  I love how my life turned out!
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    November 2006. (Gah. Doesn't Myspace date the pictures in there? And I'm impressed I even remember the password!)

My last year in college. I was a helluv a lot skinnier apparently, but really...I was. I was on WW and got to my lowest weight. I was dating a guy named Levi who wasn't going very far, very fast.

(I took this picture. Snagged off of myspace)

This was the second time we dated- and this time he was no longer in college and he was working at a fast food place and living with his parents. We broke up shortly before I graduated college.

I graduated college- moved to Sacramento, CA for a year. Met Glenn.
    Moved to Connecticut for a year. Had an ovarian tumor removed surgically. Moved back to California to move in with Glenn. Broke up with Glenn. Moved in with my parents. Met Andrew. Got a Kitty together. Moved to Colorado. Got Engaged/Bought a House. Got a dog.

The Ex:

A picture from CT- We were at drag queen bingo. What a blast!

(Glenn and I are hiding in this picture. I honestly don't have many pictures of this point in my life. Maybe I knew it wasn't important??)

I still get together with my high school girlfriends!

The couple in the front with the bride are going to be in our wedding party someday. :)

My third date with Andrew...and the day I realized he was the man I was going to marry:

I have lots of pictures with Andrew, because I don't want to forget even the smallest moment of happiness with him.

I never could have predicted 5 years ago that I would be here in Colorado today...and be so darn elated. 5 years ago was two men and two states ago. It's amazing how much can happen in 5 years.

I'm patiently awaiting the next 5 years...I know that my life will continue to bring much joy. I imagine that in the next 5 years we'll see a wedding, marriage, a couple European trips and a baby! We hope!

(ETA- I added pics of the exs...for the curious.)
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was still in highschool. I hadn't started dating BF yet but we had been friends for a couple years.

Yea. I know. Cool to the max. That was a phrase I used about five years ago..."to the max!"

Well for one, I started dating BF in January '07, so almost five years ago. Because of that, I fell in love for the first time. I graduated highschool and started college. I also decided that instead of teaching highschool history and being a historical tour guide during the summer as a career, I was going to go into law and become a JAG officer in the US Air Force.

Not really. I knew I'd be in college, but I figured I'd be driving a really nice car and living on my own by now...haha. I also knew I'd still be with BF, but didn't realize how much our relationship would mature. I figured I'd be getting married soon and having children. That to me is the biggest change. BF and I both and I don't think we'll be ready to have children for atleast another 6-7 years.

ETA: Pictures to come!
    White Knot
    edited December 2011
    (I also think it's interesting how people summarize their last 5 years. You can see mine is pretty relationship oriented and I don't talk about work at all. LOL...I'm not very career oriented. However- I have had two awesome jobs in that 5 years. I was an HR Generalist for Walgreens Logistics and then an HR Coordinator for Ross Stores, Inc.)
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was 2 and a half months from being 25. I was working at a crap customer service job. It was my first job that I got benefits and a 401K with, but it was also a dead end phone center job that I knew I couldn't be in forever.

I quit that crap job and went back to law school (yes, I stopped and started). I got a job working at Macy's of all places, in the gift wrap department (a department they no longer have at that particular store...I feel old! Like a 1940's cigar girl). Ironically, I liked that job a lot. I worked nights and weekends and went back to law school during the day. Eventually I left Macy's and finished law school, passed the bar, just got for real, admitted to the State Bar yesterday (YAY! I got my permanent bar number! I'm official...Holy shiit, I'm official!!!). I also bought a townhouse along the way, met BF, fell in love and now i'm here. 

I was determined to finish law school and pass the bar, so that I did hope for. I was hoping to meet someone, but I never would have guessed who it would be and how much I would feel and how much I would love him. I never saw that coming. 

I'd like to get married eventually and find a place in the legal community I enjoy and can make a small difference. I'd also like to have at least one baby in the next 5 years. Um...I should get on that. I am almost 30 now!! GASP! Haha! 
  • QuiltingNurseQuiltingNurse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was in my last year of HighSchool! I thought I would go into Social Work and graduate University and still be close to my best friends. My parents had just made the decision to move out of the small town I had grown up in to a big city closer to Toronto and I was so angry. They bought a kitten for me and my younger sister as a moving gift to make it a little easier on us. I was kind of dating an ex at the time (on and off) and was excited to meet new people when I got to University. 

Me and my kitten Molly before my Formal 06

I went to University, hated every second of it and made the decision pretty quickly to drop out. My mom suggested I move back home and do Nursing school while living with them, I got accepted and moved back (so glad I made that decision! Living at home was the best and school was amazing). I graduated and decided to move 14 hours away to a small town in the middle of nowhere for a full time job, I hated almost every second of it. I got my puppy, met BF my first day of work when he brought a patient to the ER, I was scared to talk to him for a good 2 months because I thought he had a GF and was too good loking. We started dating, I quit my job, we decided to move in together after about 2 weeks of dating to the 'big'city 2 hours away where he currently lived. Not long after that my sister comitted suicide. I went through a bit of a depression for a while and once that was done we bought our house and added a second kitten and puppy to our little family. 

Here we are now (a couple months ago, but its the most recent/decent picture I can find)

Never! I thought I would be back in the small town I grew up with and hanging out with my girlfriends still. I never thought I would be so far away from my whole family living with a boyfriend in our own house with such a large amount of animals! I never thought I would lose my sister, and imagined she and I would be closer than ever now. I never thought I could handle being a Nurse and that I would be comfortable giving needles, changing adult diapers, and any of the other gross things involved with it. Now I'm happy with the way things turned out (except my sister) and know that everything happened for the best!

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    I believe I was a sophomore in college and was dating a guy who definitely didn't appreciate me. Unfortunately, I ended up dating him until Feb. 2009. I was living in the dorms part time with a roommate who later asked me to move out. She said I was too shy, but she really just didn't want the inconvenience of me coming into "her" room. I was painfully shy and gaining weight like it was my job!

I gained about about 80 pounds and then lost 110. I dropped my ex, joined dating sites and got some dating experience under my belt. I went to Spain and saw a new part of the world. I slowly started getting over my shy tendancies, I met FI and we're now engaged and living together. I lost my great grandma and realized how much she meant to me ... after I had already lost her and I still regret that I didn't visit her more. I also had a falling out with one of my best friends and rekindled a friendship with a long lost friend and also with my cousin. I graduated college and found a job that is about halfway what I want to do in life.

I would never have guessed this. I figured I'd be married and have at least one kid by now, but I'm so happy that didn't happen because I wouldn't have everything that I have now and I wouldn't have gotten to experience everything I have and learned so much about myself. I haven't updated it in a long time, but you guys can read my weight loss blog that tells how I did it and how I felt along the way: http://elysha-mywlj.blogspot.com/

I can't imagine what the next 5 years will bring. Hopefully a wedding, a kid, a house, a puppy, and good health for my loved ones and I. I can't wait to find out though!

**Couldn't get the bold to turn off, sorry.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:3b12f1c7-34b5-4e16-957a-28ae7e02530c">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE](I also think it's interesting how people summarize their last 5 years. You can see mine is pretty relationship oriented and I don't talk about work at all. LOL...I'm not very career oriented. However- I have had two awesome jobs in that 5 years. I was an HR Generalist for Walgreens Logistics and then an HR Coordinator for Ross Stores, Inc.)
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking about that too. I am just getting started career-wise so I don't have too much to say about that and other than the friendships I've mentioned, not much has changed there either, except I forgot to add how happy I am to have found such supportive friends like all of you!!
    -Ely

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:249809d3-a7d4-4c12-aeb4-9d9285bb747d">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your life like 5 years ago? : I was just thinking about that too. I am just getting started career-wise so I don't have too much to say about that and other than the friendships I've mentioned, not much has changed there either, <strong>except I forgot to add how happy I am to have found such supportive friends like all of you!!</strong>
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

This board is notable for me, as well. I have met some fabulous ladies! Guess who my posse is for trying on dresses on Saturday? (Allusive and Liv!....Okay...so I didn't make you guess.)
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:430de6eb-42df-47e2-8c12-65fa79ca0a63">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your life like 5 years ago? : This board is notable for me, as well. I have met some fabulous ladies! Guess who my posse is for trying on dresses on Saturday? (Allusive and Liv!....Okay...so I didn't make you guess.)

Well, I didn't get to take any of you ladies with me when I tried on my dresses, but at least I could still post them and find out your opinions! It helped so much! I hope you guys have fun and I'm so jealous! lol
    -Ely

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:84280b6f-dad8-4323-9c54-541059783e95">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ETA - Pics: One of the first pics of BF & I in my 1st appartment in CO A more recent pic of BF & I ETA #2: "What do you think the next 5 years will hold?" Hopefully a marriage, the purchase of our first home together, 1-2 babies (maybe more if I have my way! haha) and a promotion to Landman II. Yeah...let's shoot for all of that!
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

Hehehe!! BF looks so young in the first picture! I giggled.
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

It was my senior year in high school. Right around this time I was reeling from the passing of 2 of my classmates + a 20 y/o neighbour over the course of 2 months. Not a good time in my life. At all.

I was a figure skater and a pianist and super involved in my high school. I had a pretty awesome group of friends (I thought...they all turned out to be pretty fake), and we all skipped class like it was our job. Because of all the skipping, I met FI, who happened to have a spare period during the class I skipped most often.

I ended up having to repeat my senior year thanks to all the skipping. It's not that I failed, but my grades wouldn't have gotten me into university. At the beginning of that year I started dating FI.

Then I came to university, lived in Residence, had roommates, got my own apartment, moved in with FI, adopted 2 kitties, and finally we bought our house.

I got fairly wrapped up in FI (and some of his problems), and so I kind of lost myself during the first 2 years of university. It's my 4th year now, and I'm having the time of my life! i've grown up and have an identity of my own. I have awesome friends and family, a great job (or 3), I get to volunteer for an organisation I love...

Never ever. I imagined I'd meet my future husband in university, not high school.

I've become a very hard worker, and I'm very driven to be successful. The high school slacker me never saw this coming.

I also never could have imagined buying my first home at 21, but it just makes sense and I love it.

A wedding, a new house (and potentially a move to a new area), and babies. In that order (although we might not get to the babies part in 5 years...I'm going more for 8-10 on that one). I'd also like to visit both coasts of Canada, and maybe start seeing some of Europe (before babies).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was a sophomore in college, had just broken up with my exbf, moved back into the dorms, and changed my major.

I dated a couple different guys without the intention of getting serious, I had a lot of fun with my friends, I really got to know who I was as a person and was more confident.  Then 3 years ago (this weekend actually) I met H, graduated from college a few months later, moved in with H, got a big-girl job, got engaged, and finally got married.

Yes and no.  Even though I was in love with my exbf, I knew he wasn't the person I'd marry, so I knew I'd be with someone else eventually.  I wasn't so sure it would have been within 5 years, but my life now is what I always wanted (aside from my job.  I like my job and all, but it's not a 'career' yet).

I imagine we'll have at least one kid within the next 5 years, hopefully I'll have a job that I want to make a career out of, probably will have travelled a lot more places, maybe still live in AZ, maybe not.  But regardless, I anticipate the next 5, 10, 50 years will be very happy with H :)
    Anniversary
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    5 years ago was a pretty low point in my life. I had been laid off from two jobs during 2006. While I had gotten another job, it wasn't what I wanted to be doing, and I had no idea where my life was headed. I was dating my ex on and off (little did I know that would go on for 2 more years). I wasn't UNhappy, but I also wasn't happy.

I moved to Arizona, earned my MBA, met my FI and have started to realize what I should really be doing with my life.

Not even a little bit!

What do you think the next five years will hold?
    Hopefully we'll have at least one healthy baby, and I will find a job as a full time event planner. It is my calling in life and I need to stop fighting it.

And now, pictures!

This one is from maybe July of 2006 in Clearwater, FL. It's my college girlfriends. We still get together every year. That year we were only missing two.

This one is probably from August or September 2005. I used to be a sideline reporter on Fox Soccer Channel. It was ridiculously fun and I miss it. PS I will be cutting my hair like that about 30 seconds after the wedding!

This picture is from Fenway Park (Yankees @ Red Sox) in August 2006. My gf in the picture is my bridesmaid and since this picture she has had four, yes FOUR girls. Ha.

This pic is from June 2006 when my sister got married. The girl in the pic is my cousin Shelby, who rocks. This picture makes me smile every time.

Thanks for giving me a reason to visit memory lane :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Liv: I love that you go bowling in a dress, lol.

I don't even have any pictures of me with exes. I deleted them all and the ones that I wanted to keep because of the memory or other family, they have been blackened out, lol. My mom is still friends with two of my exes on facebook though.
    -Ely

• edited December 2011
    I was a freshman in college at KU. I was on a break with my then BF. I partied a lot and somehow was still super tiny. lol

I got engaged to my EX moved in with him and got a dog. Then we spilt up and then got back together and got another dog and then split for good. I left KU and moved back in with my parents in St. Louis. I started going to UMSL, bought a new car and dated a bunch of men (most were losers). lol Then I met BF, he moved to St. Louis to be with me and I moved in. I traveled to DC to run my first big event. BF and I bought Lucy and an E-ring. :)

Never, not even close.

IWhat do you think the NEXT five years will hold?
    I hope it holds a wedding and a house and maybe a baby. I also would like to have a job in event planning and management.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in my last year of college, had just ended a five year relationship. I lived on my own. I was thinner lol I had several friends that I hung out with on a regular basis and had the photo bug that had me out almost everyday taking new photos. I was living in Nebraska still. I was yet to have a overnight stay in the hospital that I remembered

I have moved to Kansas and back to Nebraska again. I have had one long term relationship which just recently ended putting me back into the dating world. I have had several hospital stays due to Kidney stones, blood clots and the such. I was a whole lot thinner (getting back there though
    Wink ) I moved back to my parents house. have had two different jobs.

No. I thought at this point in my life I would be married, have children and possibly working as a photographer.

I cant really say what it will hold. I can only take it one day at a time and find the happiness in my life now, not worry too much about the future. I do think about it some so that I am not just a bum still lol

My birthday party with a friend who ended up not being as good of a friend.

Photo from my front porch that I took before school one day

One from one of my photo benders

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:3ac6d970-a860-487f-bc2b-37530aa7931f">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What was your life like 5 years ago? I was a freshman in college at KU. I was on a break with my then BF. I partied a lot and somehow was still super tiny. lol What has happened in the last 5 years? I got engaged to my EX moved in with him and got a dog. Then we spilt up and then got back together and got another dog and then split for good. I left KU and moved back in with my parents in St. Louis. I started going to UMSL, bought a new car and dated a bunch of men (most were losers). lol Then I met BF, he moved to St. Louis to be with me and I moved in. <strong>I traveled to DC to run my first big event. </strong>BF and I bought Lucy and an E-ring. :) Could you have guessed 5 years ago what your life would have been like today? Never, not even close. I What do you think the NEXT five years will hold? I hope it holds a wedding and a house and maybe a baby. I also would like to have a job in event planning and management.
    Posted by CCO2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Who do you work for? What kind of events do you run? Also, when I was reading this post, it said you were Mindi22 or something, but I was like, that looks like CCO in those pics!</div>

• edited December 2011
    I was a freshman in college and dating someone who wasn't FI haha. LIfe was a lot less stressful, I just didn't know it! I was also a lot skinner and blonde..although I may be going blonde again soon!

I transferred out of that school, to another school, met FI, transferred back to the school I am graduating from. My best friend passed away suddenly in 2010. I'm planning a wedding. I am about to graduate, finally!

[pics DD'd for privacy]

Absolutely not. I knew I wouldn't be with then BF, but I obviously didn't picture meeting FI! I also didn't expect to lose my best friend and sorority big..I always imagined her here for the wedding planning process and when we grew old with kids. :(

I'll HOPEFULLY be working at the same hospital I'm doing my preceptorship at. FI and I will hopefully have our house that we are going to raise our children in one day. And I'll obviously be married to FI!
    5/27/12
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:e63b30cc-d090-4bf3-b210-e8bc95889fc3">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tiger and CCO, I think event planning is my calling, too. Perhaps even (gasp!) wedding planning. We'll see. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I'll give you a cookie to plan my wedding. Fair trade, hm?
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:81888013-1d17-4c99-ac92-ed7383f6b485">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your life like 5 years ago? : Ha! That was my 24th birthday party. I needed to look stylish. ;-) Yeah I probably shouldn't keep pictures of exes, but I keep every single picture, ever. I store them on Picasa web albums, so I don't see them when I'm just going through my everyday pictures.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Haha, ok. Stylish while bowling is difficult, with the bowling shoes, but you pulled it off! : ) I don't have  a Picassa thing. My mom tried to get me to use it, but I'm resistant to change I guess, or just too lazy, lol.

Tiger: I decided to be a bit creepy and found one of your soccer reports, lol. Hope you don't mind ... you were an awesome reporter though! I'd never be able to do that without looking scared to death and stuttering, lol. Your voice is different than I imagined, although I'm not sure how I imagined it, lol. Did you play soccer before or just report on it?
    -Ely

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:6a102ed7-4314-4635-92aa-159e4f290b51">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your life like 5 years ago? : Who do you work for? What kind of events do you run? Also, when I was reading this post, it said you were Mindi22 or something, but I was like, that looks like CCO in those pics!
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

As of right now, I like to think of myself as freelance... lol Basically I haven't found a company to work for yet, so I do what I can with organizations around the area doing fundraising and awareness type events. I'm hoping for some friends to get engaged so I can do their weddings and get more experience. In the next year or so I hope to get serious about finding event planning work.

Liv, events are awesome. I love  the pressure and seeing the end result! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:d0f7c4e0-9206-408a-a1b2-e4f26c8e9ecb">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your life like 5 years ago? :  <strong>Tiger: I decided to be a bit creepy and found one of your soccer reports, lol.</strong> Hope you don't mind ... you were an awesome reporter though! I'd never be able to do that without looking scared to death and stuttering, lol. Your voice is different than I imagined, although I'm not sure how I imagined it, lol. Did you play soccer before or just report on it?
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't mind at all! In case anyone else wants to see them, here's a <a href="http://supery.uslsoccer.com/finals/114931.html" target="_blank">link to a few</a> <---clicky</div><div>
    </div><div>The first time I did a game I was TERRIFIED. I didn't eat for a week before I sweat through my shirt (luckily it was patterened so you couldn't see it). I still get nervous when I have a broadcast, but nothing like it used to be. It's really just an awesome adrenaline rush.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: Random note, I'm wearing the silver ring today that I'm wearing in those videos. I haven't worn it in probably 2 years!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA2: My god I talked too fast!</div>

• edited December 2011
    I had just finished up college, and my father passed away.

I had a few fulltime jobs before getting to this one. Spent 6 months working in Vermont, went on a lot of trips and dated a lot of guys. Lived in my first place by myself, moved into another place with a roomie (where I am now.)

Nope... but I guess I figured I would hopefully have a steady, full time job, some animals and a boyfriend. And I do!

ETA: Additional Question-
    I think it will hold an engagement, marriage, and a first child. Fingers crossed!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

November 2006 - I had just moved to Germany.  I was an exchange student and trying to settle into the culture and my host family's life.  I was taking dance classes and trying to figure out my math homework.  In December we had our Abschluss Ball for dance class.

I loved my life then.

In the last 5 years, I've started and finished my BS.  I found that I really could not handle the crap that went on in the Public Affairs department at my school, and found my true passion in the Biology department.  I've learned what I will and will not do for someone else, and I've learned that I will do anything to get to where I want to be.  That's my summary.

The long version?

In Germany, I lost my virginity to a gorgeous man who only called me when he was dating someone else.  I was smitten though, so it didn't matter to me.  I met some of the best friends I'll ever have, and I had the best host family in the world.

Once I got back, I started college.  I planned on being an International Relations major, but after some issues in one of my classes, switched to Biology.  And loved it.

I met my ex at a fraternity rush event.  I thought he was awesome.  I spent an hour at the cocktail party pulling his pocket square out of his pocket and unfolding it.  

I rushed a fraternity, got in, and once I was in, hated it.  I tried to make the organization better, and found out that it was better to just let it go and accept that they only wanted to be petty and horrid.

In my sophomore year, I was incredibly sick.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease, and spent hours and hours fighting with my insurance company about just getting me to a doctor so that I could get diagnosed.  It was a huge life change for me, and my ex was there through all of it.  I thought that was good reason for us to be together forever.  He took me back and forth to the doctor's office, and helped me when I was so sick I couldn't move.  I wish I had known then it wouldn't be enough.

I started a great job with the government.  I worked 30 hours a week while overloading my classes so that I could graduate with my BS on time.  I woke up every morning at 6 and didn't go to bed until at least 1.  It was hard.  But I did it.

My junior year I worked harder than ever.  Physics killed me.  But I was heading towards what I really wanted to do.  In the summer before my senior year, I attended the meeting that I presented at this past summer.  I met some great people and solidified the fact that I wanted to work with sharks.

In May of my junior year, I went to Mexico.  I was a dive buddy with a girl I hated.  She ended up being my best friend.  We spent 10 days in La Paz/Cabo Pulmo, and she stood up for me when the guys turned horrid towards me.  I lied about being engaged to my ex because the guys were creepy.

My senior year was pivotal.  I left my job with the government to TA labs.  I was working on two separate research projects, and trying really hard to grasp organic chemistry.

In March, I got engaged to my ex.  In May, I graduated, he graduated, we broke up.  We got back together.  I started working at the bridal salon.  And two months ago, I broke up with him.  And well, you ladies know the rest. :)

Absolutely not.  5 years ago I thought I'd be working for the UN or starting my career in politics.  I had no idea I'd graduate with a biology major or be interning with sharks in Jan.

Bonus Question:

I'd like to think that I know, but the truth is that I barely know what tomorrow holds.  I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going.  All I can do is keep myself on the path that I need to follow to reach my goals.  And if things change, the best I can do is run with it.
    I french with my man
    edited December 2011
    For the girls on here that are super curious (Ely...Hehe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFG0szxP9IA

It's ME! In PJs...talking...with my voice. I forgot to say I'm super stoked to be meeting becunning too! Hooray!
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_life-like-5-years-ago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f2ff828-76db-4363-928d-ad79e0dd4fc6Post:90461454-a16c-4338-a6ec-f372297ef59b">Re: What was your life like 5 years ago?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the girls on here that are super curious (Ely...Hehe). <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFG0szxP9IA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFG0szxP9IA</a> It's ME! In PJs...talking...with my voice. I forgot to say I'm super stoked to be meeting becunning too! Hooray!

Haha, yay it worked. And I can't help but be curious. I talk to you ladies every day and have no idea what any of you sound like or even what some of you look like, lol.

ETA: I would do a youtube message too, but it will have to wait until later because I just did my ab workout and I'm all sweaty and stinky and no make-up and ... I'm too lazy to figure out how to post on youtube right now, lol.
    -Ely

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards