Students

XP: What should I do?

I have a group presentation due tomorrow in my 11:00 class. My group has been communicating through e-mail and this weekend we were finishing putting everything together. Sometime yesterday the school e-mail stopped working. I can send e-mails but I cannot view any that are being sent to me. I can't access my inbox at all (no one can). I've been checking it constantly and I've called the school several times but it's Sunday so I'm sure no one is there. All of our information that we've been sharing is in those e-mails and I can't get to any of it.

My question is, should I call my professor and ask her if our presentation can be moved to Wednesday at the risk of sounding unprepared or should I pretty much do the entire project myself while trying to incorporate everything I can remember my group talking about and hope that the e-mail starts working again in time for me to send them everything or that they show up early enough to class for me to run through things with them?

I am so stressed out. I have a test I need to study some more for but I've had to put that completely on hold in order to try to figure out what I should do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: XP: What should I do?

• I would call the Prof, but be prepared for them to not answer since it's Sunday. They should probably be using the same university email system as you are, so hopefully they'll be understanding as to access issues.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicVacation
  • edited April 2011
    Ugh, our e-mail does this too.  Do you have any other way to contact these people (maybe through FB)?  I would try getting in touch with them some other way and exchanging alternate e-mail addresses if you have them.  If you can contact even one person, maybe he/she will have contact info for others in the group.  I would also suggest getting as much done as you can, and showing up early - if you do get in touch, ask people if they can come early as well.

Good luck!

Edit: I didn't answer your professor question.  That's a tough one.  It would really depend on my relationship with the prof, but in most cases I wouldn't call him/her and I would be reluctant to ask for an extension because of an e-mail outage the day before.  I have definitely had professors who would say, "You had xx number of weeks to work on this..." and have no sympathy, so I wouldn't bother with that type.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_xp-should?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:7c2e234f-44bd-4e7d-a13f-d690a7452204Post:0384e3ec-d6e4-43ad-9953-593d43707137">Re: XP: What should I do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, our e-mail does this too.  Do you have any other way to contact these people (maybe through FB)?  I would try getting in touch with them some other way and exchanging alternate e-mail addresses if you have them.  If you can contact even one person, maybe he/she will have contact info for others in the group.  I would also suggest getting as much done as you can, and showing up early - if you do get in touch, ask people if they can come early as well. Good luck! Edit: I didn't answer your professor question.  That's a tough one.  It would really depend on my relationship with the prof, but in most cases I wouldn't call him/her and I would be reluctant to ask for an extension because of an e-mail outage the day before.  I have definitely had professors who would say, "<strong>You had xx number of weeks to work on this..."</strong> and have no sympathy, so I wouldn't bother with that type.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

I'd be prepared for this reply

I know its already Monday morning, so please let us know what happened...
  • I finally reached one of my group members last night. I tried to reach them a million different ways on both Saturday and Sunday but I guess they aren't too concerned about what grade we get on this project. I'm pretty sure my professor would've given us an extension, this isn't my first class with her and we have a good relationship but I'm glad it didn't have to come down to that.

This is why I hate group projects.

• I'm glad that it got worked out in the end.  Group projects really suck, especially when you're the only one who puts in any effort.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards