Plus-Sized

Worried about PLANE SEATS!!!!

Anyone else worried about fitting in the plane seats???? I just looked at the seating details of the plane and they are only 18 inches wide....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Worried about PLANE SEATS!!!!

• This is the reason I've never been on a plane. I'm scared that I won't fit or will be squishing the person next to me. I have plus size friends who fly all the time and say it would be no problem but I'm still scared. So you are not alone. You could ask the airline about how to handle the situation.
  • Ladies, I understand your worries. Plane seats are ridiculously small.

I'm a size 18, it feels like a squish for me in the seat but the belt is fine. It's also a squish for legroom.

My mum is a size 24ish right now. She always has to ask for a seatbelt extension but I never feel that squished when I sit next to her on the plane - travelling together we always go for the two seats.

H is a large guy - around 330lbs (which we're working on). Unfortunately, he's also 6'4 so wherever we sit, he's so uncomfortable he can barely walk when we get off.

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't that bad. If you're really self consious of it, try and pick a window seat. The last place you want to be is in the middle of the three seats. And tbh with you - and I fly fairly often - 'normal' size people are worse than plus sized. Plus size people are very body consious and lean towards the windows or away from you - making an effort to give you space. 'Normal' sized people (I say normal only for the comparison) I find sometimes sprawl themselves out over your armrest and half into your seat - yes... I've spent entire seven hour flights with the person in front of me reclined, the kid behind me kicking me, and a stranger's elbow wedged into my side. And I still get hit by the trolley (I'm an aisle person).

I realise that I've probably just scared you off flying for life. But please don't take it that way - being able to travel to places is a gift our ancestors didn't have access to. Use it well - flying is only a fraction of the time you'll spend in a place.

And worst case scenario... I've seen people take up three seats near the back of the plane. It happens more than you think - it's a myth that larger people don't fly.
  • AMT thanks for your tips. It makes me feel better. :)
  • I'm glad to have helped. :)
  • A while back someone also posted a story about one of the airlines discriminating against a plus size woman and her mother...you may want to google for that just to make sure you DON'T fly with that airline (they have some BS policy where if you "LOOK" too large for one seat, you have to buy TWO!!!!)

Does anyone else remembere this story?

I've flown when I was a size 14 and when I was a size 22 and have never been overly uncomfortable (other than the fact that you feel like a sardine packed in there!). I've never needed the extender for the seatbelt and I've never felt like I was crowding the person next to me. The seats are small, but it's all do-able.
  • I always choose the aisle seat because there is more room to "spread" than the window seat.  If I am flying with FI then I will choose the window seat.  I usually fly Delta and it is tight but doable.  I have never had to ask for an extension but I have been close a few times.  I just suck it in.  I have seen people ask for extensions and the flight attendants are usually pretty discreet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Unfortunately I have just recently had an issue with this.  I flew SOUTHWEST....and from my hometown to Las Vegas, they didn't say anything to me.  Luckily for me the lady I sat next to was very petite and nice...but I was infringing on her space. :( It was uncomfortable to say the least.

On my way home from Vegas, SOUTHWEST attendant came to me while I was waiting to board and informed me that they have a "Customer of Size Policy".  And that for my own comfort as well as others' I would be required to use two seats.  Since I was not approached about it when I checked in or when I flew to Vegas, they gave it to me for free.  Otherwise I would have had to pay for an extra seat. And next time I fly with SOUTHWEST I will be required to purchase one.

I did have to use a seatbelt extension as well. The flight attendant was very cool about the whole thing...it was more embarassing than anything.  I was flying with my step-mom, sister and their friends.

The plus side of it was that I was able to board the plane first and got to sit in the first row and they allowed my sister to board with me as well. 

The sucky part was....that there were 3 or 4 other people whom I saw on the plane that were bigger than I that were not required to do this.  There was a woman who was bigger and taller than I AND she had a boot on her leg.  They didn't ask her or anything. I felt bad! She was SQUISHED and here I was all lounged out in the front row like a damn couch!

• Entropic, I remember the post/article about the woman that had an issue.  It was Southwest that she flew.  I've flown as a size 20/22 and it is a tight fit, but I don't need a seat belt extender and airline staff have never approached me about needing an additional seat.  With the armrest down, it digs in to my hip/upper thigh a bit, but I manage to stay within my seat. 

I've only flown a handful of times total, and am a pear shape, so I might be harder to identify as large if you only see the top of me, but have never been approached by airline staff for size issues.  We are flying Southwest to Tampa for our honeymoon, so hopefully everything will go smoothly. 

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I fly often, and at my largest size (about 18) I fit just fine without being squished or needing the seatbelt extender.  I agree that larger people are more concious of not spreading into the space of others and I have had no problem when seated next to them.

The worst people for squishing you are young men with long legs who sit in the middle with one foot in front of the seats on either side of them.  Close your legs, man. Lol.

I know on the flight for our honeymoon my FI (who is rather a big guy, being really tall, broad shouldered and also heavy) is going to be soooo uncomfy.  At least I don't mind if he takes some of my space!
  • Thanks Tyra! :)

• I just went to that link that Tyra posted and the first thing I noticed is that the people (the couple, I'm assuming) in the picture have crumbs all over their shirts and food in their hands! How rude is that? Are they implying that all we plus-sized people do is eat? I'm truly offended!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_worried-about-plane-seats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:3e656d75-e377-43f2-affd-49a60e27da09Post:30c68053-b732-473d-9443-2f2c85720ec9">Re: Worried about PLANE SEATS!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately I have just recently had an issue with this.  I flew SOUTHWEST.... On my way home from Vegas, SOUTHWEST attendant came to me while I was waiting to board and informed me that they have a "Customer of Size Policy".  And that for my own comfort as well as others' I would be required to use two seats. 
    Posted by BubbsNBubbs[/QUOTE]

THIS!!! My FI got the same treatment from Southwest when we flew to Florida last year. First they humiliated him by calling him out in front of everybody at the gate. It's a delicate topic and people deserve the opportunity to discuss it privately with the airline employee. They then gave him WRONG information about how to go about getting the second seat refunded, it was a total runaround. And the really ridiculous thing about it is that they have NO objective way of determining whether somebody will fit into the damn seat or not - it all hinges on the personal judgement of whatever employee happens to be eyeballing you at the time and whether they think you can fit in the seat or not. Which in this case was JUST this employee - FI had never had problems flying Southwest before, nor was he singled out on the way back from the very same trip. And as it turned out, once we got on the plane he could fit in the seat and put the armrest down, but by then he had already paid for the second seat and we had no recourse to fix it until we were back on the ground. He lodged a complaint once we got home and got his refund plus a free flight but I was so offended by how he was treated that I never want to fly with them again!
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • I am a size 20/22 I sit on the aisle for more space Never the middle Delta seats are extra smedium and are not fluffy friendly I usually fly southwest they have a bit more space and bags fly free
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_worried-about-plane-seats?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:3e656d75-e377-43f2-affd-49a60e27da09Post:a48dc4d4-a408-41b1-9b44-04294061b829">Re: Worried about PLANE SEATS!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just went to that link that Tyra posted and the first thing I noticed is that the people (the couple, I'm assuming) in the picture have crumbs all over their shirts and food in their hands! How rude is that? Are they implying that all we plus-sized people do is eat? I'm truly offended!
    Posted by travistanya[/QUOTE]

OMG. Totally didn't even notice that. I went right to reading hoping the info was good.. 
  • I am a size 16/18 and fly a lot with work.  I fly American and though the seatbelt can be snug, I fit.  That said, avoid the aisles with the non-moveable arm rests (exit seats).  They may have a little extra leg room, but the arm rests are solid all the way down (I recently flew on British Airways and it was like this on all seats :-(  ).

My butt needs that extra inch or so.

Also, sit on the aisle or the window.  Never go in the middle...
  • I was a size 26 last summer, and did not have to get an extension. I fit just fine, it was tight on the hips but I fit and was not squishing anyone. I'm 5"2. Hope this helps!
    "Love and electricity are one in the same my dear if you don't feel the jolt in your soul every time a kiss is shared, a whisper is spoken and a touch is felt then you're not really in love at all" Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards