Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Plus one help?

I was chatting with a friend today about some wedding details, and out of the blue she said, "Oh I have to start thinking about who I'll be bringing for my plus one." I froze and couldn't think of what to say. We have a very limited space in our venue and can't give plus ones to single friends. She is going to be traveling from Pittsburgh to our wedding destination, but I'm inviting several other people from Pittsburgh (who she knows) to the wedding so I figured she could just come with some of them. Do I need to give her a plus one since she's traveling? Help! Are all my single friends going to assume they get a plus one?!
Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

Re: Plus one help?

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are giving plus ones to everyone. I really believe that if you have the room and space in your budget, plus ones should be extended. Especially if they are going to be traveling. If you don't give her a plus one, wait and see how she RSVPs to bring it up. If she adds someone, explain you simply can't fit extras and that you hope she'll still come. Just my $0.02. ETA: I didn't want this to come off as it being rude if you don't extend plus ones. It's not supposed to be. I'm sorry if it did come of this way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not giving single guests plus-ones.  It's not in my budget.

I just tell them that exactly:  Sorry, we're not able to let single people bring guests because our budget and venue space don't allow it.  But i think you will have a ton of fun with X/Y/Z person, and none of them have dates either!  Most of my single friends (college/sorority sisters) are thrilled to be going alone and dont want to bring a random person...they just want to know there are other single people coming as well.

It's not rude to not give guests to single people, but if you start picking and choosing you could run into trouble.
  • blondieb0912blondieb0912 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I currently have plus ones added to my guest list, but the more my fiance and I think about our budget/size concerns, the more we think we'll be cutting that option. We think of it as this:  if there are people who are living with significant others or who have long-term relationships we have hung out with, they get one. If they're still living at home, would have to actually think of someone to bring instead of having an automatic answer, etc., then it isn't worth our money. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

If they have a significant other and I have at least heard of them, I will invite them by name. I am not planning on filling out many invitations as Ms. Kate and Guest or whatever. From there - be single and have fun drinking and mingling! You never know, if your friend comes with a guy she doesn't really like she may miss the opportunity to meet someone new!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Basically, I second what MD said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks for the input, ladies!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards